All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Counting Down Days to One Year Anniversary of NO DIARRHEA !!!!!!
      #133854 - 12/30/04 02:39 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Yes, friends, on Jan 9 it will be ONE WHOLE YEAR since my last attack of IBS-D!!! As my DH said the other day, "IBS is history!" I still have it of course and always will but I've gotten it under control the way DH got his asthma controlled. So IT CAN BE DONE!! Just do EVERYTHING Heather says! I didn't get stable til I found this site last January.

So I want everyone to help me count down the last 10 days!! Just like New Year's Eve! And it will be a "new year" for me, my first year IBS-free! And boy am I going to be careful about my food for the next 10 days! I'd hate to blow it just short of the 12 month mark! That would be embarrassing!!

Thank you Heather and everyone else for your help and support. LITERALLY couldn't have done it without all of you.

Okay, ready???? Ten, nine,....

See you tomorrow!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Counting Down Days to One Year Anniversary of NO DIARRHEA !!!!!! new
      #133858 - 12/30/04 03:39 PM
Anthem

Reged: 10/01/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Thanks for the positive role model! I do have questions. Do you think your IBS is ever related to emotional issues or upsets? I am pretty sure mine is, since as a child upward if something scared me I'd immediately get the runs. So even a totally healthy Heather diet won't stop that unless I can change the brain-gut connection somehow via hypnosis or something like that. Do you by nature have an optimistic happy personality? I guess my bottomline question is whether Heather or others see any validity in the often-made claim (which I can verify from my experience) that flare-ups of IBS-D are often in conjunction with some very unhappy experience in life. Perhaps the answer for that is better coping skills, a stronger spiritual connection, etc.

But it sounds like YOUR IBS is purely a physical food trigger. That seems to also be Heather's hypothesis, but I'm just not sure yet. I've been eating her diet since August and still have had 2 flare-ups of IBS-D that each lasted about 3 weeks!

There are lots of IBS triggers, and diet is just one of them... new
      #133861 - 12/30/04 04:50 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

stress is certainly another. That's where things like gut-directed hypnotherapy, yoga, stress management tactics like exercise and plenty of sleep, etc. all come into play. And that's why there are whole sections of info on this site about these methods of controlling IBS. For many folks, it takes a combination of factors.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: There are lots of IBS triggers, and diet is just one of them... new
      #133863 - 12/30/04 04:57 PM
Anthem

Reged: 10/01/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Heather, you are wonderful! Thanks for adding that information. I ordered the hypnotherapy CD set yesterday. I believe for me this is a multi-faceted situation, and thanks for validating that for those of us who are doing all we can in the diet department but still suffer setbacks! Bless you!

#133864 - 12/30/04 04:57 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Wooooo hoooooooo!!!
I am so happy for you!! I can't believe it's been a year, it feels like a few weeks ago you were at 6 months!!
That is so terrific, you must be so thrilled! I think the beginning is probably the hardest, so I'd bet you'll be D-free for a long time now that you've worked out all the kinks for the past year.
You're an inspiration to us all!
***HUGS***
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#133869 - 12/30/04 05:43 PM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

YOUR ROCK!!!!

You are an inspiration to so many of us!

Sandy

Aw, you're welcome! And I bet the hypnotherapy helps you tremendously!! -nt- new
      #133870 - 12/30/04 05:57 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Yay for LauraSue! Can't believe it's been a whole year - I remember your first countdown! -nt- new
      #133871 - 12/30/04 05:59 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------

#133995 - 12/31/04 10:14 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, Anthem!

No, I most definitely do NOT have an optimistic happy personality. I suffer from clinical depression! My IBS is definitely not just a food trigger. IBS is a disorder of the whole autonomic nervous system, and as Heather said, the hypnotherapy tapes are a clinically proven method of calming down your autonomic nervous system.

I also have learned to take an Imodium as a preventive before going out to dinner and at the slightest sign of rumbly tummy. I used to take it only AFTER the attack of D, but I learned from other people on this board that sometimes we need to take it in advance. I also take an antispasmodic (like Heather's peppermint caps), a soluble fiber supplement (like Heather's acacia), and two Gas-X capsules every morning.

So I believe that stabilizing IBS requires ALL THREE of the following. If you leave any one of the following out, you'll still have attacks (in my opinion and experience):

1. Heather's diet
2. Soluble fiber supplement
3. Meds and hypno or the equivalent

Hope this helps!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3496 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 724

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review