Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Calling Heather
      #13279 - 07/07/03 06:50 AM
RLU

Reged: 02/04/03
Loc: Jackson, Mississippi

Heather-

I found this website,www.drdahlman.com he claims to have the answer to IBS D & C can you read his literature and you can download his articule for free, please give me your feedback if it works it will be worth the cost, but I wanted your opinion I am a very stubborn IBS-C and do everything right, I will do what it takes to be healthy again but it is rather expensive, thanks so much!!! and for the great job you do.

--------------------
Screen Name: Nan275

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Calling Heather (please guys check that site out) new
      #13286 - 07/07/03 07:15 AM
CarlaVeg

Reged: 06/19/03

This is such a coincidence. I was about to post the same thing. I found that website about 4 months ago, and I wanted to ask if somebody heard of that doctor or his products.
Please Heather and the rest of the group check it out and tell us what you think.

Carla

Re: Calling Heather new
      #13323 - 07/07/03 09:47 AM
CarlaVeg

Reged: 06/19/03

BUMP!

#13325 - 07/07/03 09:50 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Maybe I'm slow...but what's bump? Thanks!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#13327 - 07/07/03 09:51 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

It bumps the post back up to the top of the list.

PS: You're not slow!

#13329 - 07/07/03 09:52 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

All you do is write bump?

P.S. Thanks!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Calling Heather (please guys check that site out) new
      #13374 - 07/07/03 01:33 PM
RLU

Are you C or D? I am C and could not find testimonials on his web about C patients but did see some D testimonials out there

--------------------

#13375 - 07/07/03 01:35 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I've checked out his site and I don't think it's legit. He blames people with IBS for the disorder - "Your lifestyle got you here". He says that IBS (and he lumps a lot of problems in with IBS, like GERD, which is not the same thing at all) is caused by bacteria or chemistry, and that antibiotics are the main cause. This flies in the face of quite a few years of well-documented research showing that people with IBS have dysfunctional enteric nervous systems. They don't have a bacterial or chemical problem. If he's going to make that claim, he needs to cite the studies that document it. There aren't any. There are, however, plenty of studies showing that IBS patients have abnormal gut responses to normal gut stimulations, and that IBS patients' brains (shown in PET scans) actually process nerve signals from the gut differently than normal people.

Even worse, in his article he lumps IBS in with IBD and talks about inflammation in the gut (there isn't any in IBS) and "leaky gut syndrome". There is ZERO evidence for any such syndrome. And IBS does NOT have any visible gut inflammation as IBD does. You cannot lump these disorders together - it's apples and oranges. He then claims that this all leads to food allergies - but allergies are a totally different problem which is an immune system reaction. There's no link established at all between IBS and the immune system.

The point of the article is to get patients to buy his supplements. They're only available through him. And they're supposed to cure IBS through bacteria and chemistry. If he really achieved these results, he'd be conducting a double-blind study and submitting results to a peer-reviewed journal. That's what doctors do with their research in order to have it accepted in the medical field. He's a doctor, but he's not doing this.

For foods, he has patients eliminate dairy and gas-producing veggies. If that doesn't work he has them eliminate fructose, and then gluten. He doesn't mention fiber at all, nor does he talk about how fats affect the GI tract.

Here's the list supplements you have to buy from him and take:

Ultra Flora Plus DF, Ultra Bifidus, Ultra Dophilus, Ultra Clear Sustain, Azeo-Pangen, Metagest and Intesol. God knows how much that would cost - I didn't see any prices listed.

At one point in his article he says, "Please don't think you're smarter than me." That's where I stopped reading. I want nothing to do with a doctor who thinks that a patient can't ever know their own body better than he can (is he God?)

Anyway, that's my take on it.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#13379 - 07/07/03 01:42 PM
RLU

Heather-

Thanks so much!!! I thought it was a little fishy, if could cure this mess he would be the richest doctor on earth and I don't think that seems to be the case, but I did want to run it by you for your expert opinion. I didn't see any mention of fiber or the differences that soluble and insoluble can have on your system or the fact this is a enteric nervous system disorder which my GI also confirmed and that is when I decided I would ask you to look at it. As always thanks for your input!!

--------------------

#13394 - 07/07/03 02:18 PM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Basically, posting this brings it to the top of the first page of posts. The typing of 'bump' only implies to everyone that you've moved the post to the front of the line, like keeping the topic fresh. Make sense?

--------------------
~jules

#13431 - 07/07/03 10:32 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

I dunnno, but i FEEL THAT with all these other sites, people keep checking, is somehow unfaithful to Heather's site. That is just MY take on it, it may seem alright to her though.

Hey, no, it's okay! new
      #13497 - 07/08/03 11:16 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Thanks for your support Louise! You're a sweetie. But there are a ton of IBS websites out there and it's silly to think that only mine can be helpful. I'm happy to check out info that other people are wondering about. All I can offer is my opinion, not some judgment handed down from on high, but I'm willing to give what I can.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 668 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2256

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review