All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
according to this white rice has almost no soluble fiber and 0.5g of insoluble fiber
      #13252 - 07/06/03 08:28 PM
Robbie

Reged: 07/03/03

according to this food data chart
http://www.hcf-nutrition.org/fiber/fiberchart.html#
white rice has trace amounts of soluble fiber and 0.5g of insoluble fiber.

is this chart correct?
what kind of rice should you eat to get the soluble fiber?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: according to this white rice has almost no soluble fiber and 0.5g of insoluble fiber new
      #13253 - 07/06/03 08:36 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

I've never seen a source that says that rice has any type of fibre (in any quantity, at least), but it's still the most useful thing I eat to keep things under control. I don't question it...

Re: according to this white rice has almost no soluble fiber and 0.5g of insoluble fiber new
      #13257 - 07/06/03 08:42 PM
Robbie

Reged: 07/03/03

heather suggests using soluble fiber in rice to offset the insoluble fibre found in vegetables
but that site says white rice doesnt have any soluble fiber

#13260 - 07/06/03 08:47 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

Oh, I know what you're saying -- like I said though, I don't question the reason because the results work so well.

#13271 - 07/07/03 03:43 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Apparently there are many charts out there with conflicting info: web page

#13291 - 07/07/03 07:50 AM
busymom

Reged: 06/30/03
Loc: Michigan

My daughter, who is a nursing student, just finished her Nutrition training and said the same thing. I know brown rice has insoluble fiber in the hull. But, according to my daughter, also, white rice has no soluble fiber. Perhaps Heather can clear this up..........

#13378 - 07/07/03 01:41 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Check this past thread web page

There have been several threads on fiber charts. I don't quite understand the figures myself. My best guess is that there is less than 1 gram of soluble fiber per serving in rice, and the manufacturers are rounding down to 0 for the label. It actually doesn't take much (in terms of grams) soluble fiber to help IBS - supplements like Equalactin and Citrucel caplets have 1/2 gram per pill.

There is soluble fiber in white rice, white breads, pasta, etc. Easiest way to see for yourself is to put a bit in a glass of water and check out the thick gel you'll end up with a few hours later. You can do this same thing with a soluble fiber supplement - add some Citrucel powder to a glass of water and let it sit.

I'd like some better answers here, too. But I just can't find accurate info. I'll keep looking...

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2181 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1360

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review