Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
bread machines
      #13134 - 07/03/03 11:55 PM
cloudygirl

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Washington

Hi everyone,
I have thought about purchasing a bread machine, but I'm not sure if it will be worth the cost. Does anyone have a bread maker, and feel it is worth the high cost?
I have been considering it because I thought it might be cheaper in the long run to make my own breads (French, sourdough, etc..).
cloudygirl

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: bread machines new
      #13137 - 07/04/03 03:55 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I got my breadmaker as a Christmas gift, so cost wasn't really a factor for me. But, I would have paid for it, because I love using the breadmaker. It is really easy, and you know exactly what you're eating. HanSolo suggested before just measuring out your dry ingredients and throwing them in some ziplok bags to store all at once, so when it comes time to bake, just dump the bag in. This makes it even easier. You can also use it to make pizza dough which makes it really convenient to make your own pizza - again, knowing exactly what's in there.

Also, whenever I'm looking for a new appliance, I check out epinions.com to see others reviews, compare brands.

#13138 - 07/04/03 04:05 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I love my bread machine too and it is worth the cost! Mine was normally a $100.00 machine, but got it on clearance at Kohls for $30.00.
Mine has a timer and my family loves to wake up to the smell of fresh bread. I also like knowing what the ingred. are.

#13143 - 07/04/03 06:39 AM
Ashley62

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Eastern Ontario, Canada

I love my breadmaker too! When we bought it I thought there was no way you could just "dump in" all the ingredients and get fresh bread - but it works! I haven't made sour dough in it, I thought you would need a sour dough starter? Anyone made sourdough in their breadmaker? The sourdough at the store is rather expensive.
Leah

--------------------
Leah
"Years wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul"

#13151 - 07/04/03 11:12 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

You go girl! My bread machine is my favourite appliance in the whole world. As Mags said, I pre-mix my dry and store it in ziplocs and then it only takes a minute to dump a loaf in. That way, you always have fresh, yummy safe bread on hand. As you get comfortable, then you can play with different recipes which is always fun, too. They have really come down in price, so you should be able to find a reasonable. Be warned, though, the yeast is expensive to buy. I consider it a small price for safe fresh bread.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#13159 - 07/04/03 02:35 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I've seen the machines on sale at department stores for $49. You can buy yeast in bulk at Costco, and keep it in the freezer so it stays fresh. Considering how expensive fresh baked bread is in stores (over $3 a loaf in Seattle) the machine is a bargain in comparison.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#13166 - 07/04/03 07:19 PM
gator

Reged: 05/26/03
Loc: Florida

after reading this post, I got out my bread machine that was never used. I gave it to my wife for xmas last year and she never used it. I made a french bread and it was outstanding...and SO easy... Does anyone have a recipe for sourdough bread???? the book that comes with my machine doesn't have one...

--------------------
Thank You

#13167 - 07/04/03 08:04 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Although I haven't tried any of these, here's some sourdough recipes for bread machines on allrecipes.com: http://bread.allrecipes.com/directory/355.asp

If you try any that are any good, let us know on the Recipe Exchange.

Check this recipe board thread... new
      #13176 - 07/04/03 11:34 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

web page

They just posted sourdough recipes!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4237 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 946

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review