All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
bloody bowel movements
      #12759 - 06/29/03 01:00 PM
mamaraggi

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: Davie, Florida

hi everyone. I wrote last week about throwing up bile during IBS attack. Well the pain isn't as bad now but the nausea sure is getting old. Worse yet, I'm bleeding out my rear end and not just during bms. I've kind of lost faith in the health care industry and not real sure what to do. Its happened before but it was a one or two shot deal and it stopped. No big, it went away. Well this is now 24 hours of bleeding, rather maroon sometimes, others bright red or pink. Feel run down. On a positive note tho, I've lost 8 pounds this last week and thats a good thing. I don't think this is normal or maybe it is. ???One book said I'm manifesting these symptoms for some sort of "reward". I don't know about that as I see no reward in feeling like total crud most of the time. Anyone else bleeding much out there.??? sorry, it's gross to mention. Tried doing a search on bloody bowels to no avail so I hope this is not a repetitive query.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: bloody bowel movements new
      #12762 - 06/29/03 01:48 PM
jenz

Reged: 05/09/03
Loc: Uk

Im certaqinly no expert - but i know that one thing my docotrs and consultants have asked me is have a i been bleeding with bowel movements - i really think you should get this checked out by your doctor to eliminate any further problems other than ibs - like chrones ! i dont wish to alarm you in any way but i dont think bleeding that much is normal lol sorry if i have un nerved you in anyway im just suggesting wha i think i would do! good luck and keep your chin up xxxx

#12767 - 06/29/03 03:43 PM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

you might want to get to your Dr. pronto. it might be Ulcerative colitis. A few years ago I started bleeding thru the rectum;I was scared and nervous of what it might be. Turned out to be Proctitus Ulcerative Colitis. I take Dipentum and enema Pentasa. This slows the bleeding down sometimes to almost nil.;but when I flare up it gets a little heavier. Just make an appt. with your Dr. to see what it is.Another possibility could be hemmoroids or fissures.

#12797 - 06/30/03 01:01 AM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

I agree with the others - please see a doctor. This is not an IBS symptom and suggests something else is going on. If your doctor is not helpful see someone else, then someone else again if you still have no answers.

Let us know how you go,

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#12801 - 06/30/03 03:40 AM
mamaraggi

Hi. Thanks for the replies. It makes me feel better knowing there are people out there, you know? So, I'm calling the doc today as it is still happening and have been running a slight fever off and on for about a week. I just don't like to go to the doctor. Last time I saw him, he said "hope to see less of you next time" referring to my weight ( I'm a bit on the round side) so I've been reluctant to go back. Childish of me, I know. so I'll get over it. Thanks everyone for listening. I'll let you know what he says.

#12821 - 06/30/03 11:02 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Please see another doc, as it sounds like your old one is a jerk. If you can get to a gastroenterologist, that would be best. Your symptoms could indicate inflammatory bowel diseases like Crohn's or ulcerative colitis, or something else serious could be going on. If I were you, I'd want a really thorough diagnostic workup at this point, to explain the vomiting of bile and the bloody diarrhea, and the fever. These are NOT IBS and any doctor who tells you that is wrong. Get up and walk out of the office and tell the front desk on the way out that you're not paying a dime of the bill if the doctor tries to brush you off about these concerns. They are serious - to the point that you should insist to the GI doc that you need an appointment immediately.

Best of luck, and please keep us posted -

Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#12846 - 06/30/03 03:10 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

You are not being childish, your Doctor is an absolute moron and should not be practicing if that is the kind of comment that he makes to patients.

I would definately find someone else pronto and ask for a referral to a GE. Please don't be disheartened by that Doctor there are some good ones out there with much more compassion.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#13199 - 07/06/03 04:39 AM
mamaraggi

hi! My doctor thinks my my bleeding is due to internal hemorrhoid . As for the fever during attacks, he doesn't know. He says no new colonoscopy for now, we'll see how it goes. I did work up my nerve and give him a politely hard time for his "I hope to see less of you" comment. So I feel better about that. Asserting myself is not my best skill but I'm getting better. Anyhow he ordered a fecal fat test and I go back next week. Thanks for the support.

#13200 - 07/06/03 06:18 AM
suzyq

Hope you are feeling a little better?Has the bleeding slowed down at all or still about the same. The fecal fat test may help but maybe you should ask for a sigmoidscope to rule out any possiblilites of colitis,polyps or internal hemmoroids. Also ask for a blood test to check your iron level. I have my iron level tested every 3 months or earlier if I feel tired and have a rapid heartbeat. I know with colitis I get fevers & chills (somtimes,almost like the flu)when I flare up. So ask for these tests! Let me know how it turns out.Feel better.

#13438 - 07/08/03 05:37 AM
mamaraggi

Hi suzyq
The bleeding is about gone. Yeah! My iron levels and b12 are low. I get fever when I have an attack, too. I didn't think that was normal. I'm always tired, it just varies by degree and my heartrate is usually 90-105. I just didn't realize this disorder has so many aspects to it and that its a bit different for everyone. I want to get my pancreas and gellbladder checked out but don't know how to get my doctor to do it. I'll try a direct approach when I see him next. Right now I'm between attacks. And I'm feeling better again. But I dread the next go-round. Thanks for caring!

#13454 - 07/08/03 08:04 AM
suzyq

So glad your feeling a little better. Another symptom I get when I have a flare up is that I just don't feel right?ummm...lightheaded, disoriented a little...my eyes sometimes don't want to stay open...mouth ulcers or sometimes I get little sores like blisters on my fingers and toes? Do you ever get these symptoms. My Dr. is not sure what or why this happens.. take care!

#13463 - 07/08/03 09:18 AM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Perhaps I'm confused, so I'm hoping you can explain...you have IBS (NOT IBD, Crohn's, or ulcerative colitis), and you've had bloody bowel movements and fevers during attacks? And your doctor isn't worried? I just went to the GI this morning, and he said that I have IBS, but I am to immediately seek further testing if I experience rectal bleeding, a fever during an attack, sudden weight loss, etc.--because any of those indicates another disorder entirely. So I'm a little worried about your health...and your doctor's attitude.... Take care.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1423 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2498

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review