Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Thanks to everyone who is trying to help. Much appreciated-nt new
      #127753 - 12/05/04 07:29 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Bamagirl new
      #127910 - 12/05/04 06:20 PM
Augie

I know from a previous post that you also take a calcium and magnesium supplement. Is it a combined supplement? What brand/type do you take and how many mg a day? I'm looking for one but the calcium I think constipates me. So, I've been just taking Magnesium alone (400mg a day up from 250mg). I need to get some calium in too though. Can you offer some help. thanks.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Heather- a question for you new
      #127933 - 12/05/04 09:04 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - what's most important is that the hypnosis is gut-directed or gut-specific. If it is, then results should be very comparable. For Mike Mahoney, he's got his patient results for in-patient therapy comparable to within 1-2% of the results patients get from his audio program.

Is your local doc on the USA register of IBS hypnotherapists? I'd ask to make sure, and ask how he/she was trained, by whom, by what protocol. They need to be associated with this IBS training program if they're in the US. If they're not, I'd definitely go with Mike's program instead.

If you decide to interview your therapist (and you definitely should before making any commitment) check out all the questions to ask in the IBS hypnosis section of this site. You can just print them out and take with you.

Also compare prices, and how easily you'd be able to commit to travel to the local appointments. Consistency is key, so if you think it might be hard to get out of the house for the appointments, then listening at home might be a better choice.

Investigate a little further, and you should be able to make a good decision here. Either way you go, hypnosis should make a world of difference for you, especially with resolving the anxiety related symptoms. Honestly, it's such a great approach I wish everyone would try it!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

I'm not Bamagirl but I take magnesium new
      #127944 - 12/06/04 12:33 AM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Hi Augie. I'm not Bamagirl but I do take a magnesium supplement and it works a treat. I used to take 'pharama mag' which was calcium and magnesium combined, but the calcium was inhibiting magnesium uptake. So now I take 'sero mag' which is 100 % magnesium. I take 3 tablets, twice a day but not sure what that equates to in mg. I reaaaaally notice the difference in BM when taking magnesium.

Also I've been on acacia this week and it has made me dreadfully bloated and full of gas but I think I've been taking too much too quickly. I started off with 1 tsp a day and am now on 3 tsp. Its also given me D when I am a reliable C. But I'm going to persist and lower the dosage.

Hows the GF going? I made some delicious rice bread on the weekend with pepitas, sunflower, sesame and linseeds. I actually like it better then normal bread! I also made some yummy choc banana muffins. So being GF isn't the end of the world, so long as you have the time to make the substitutes.

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Re: Heather- a question for you new
      #127957 - 12/06/04 04:26 AM
Augie

Thanks again Heather. Yes, my doctor is certified and trained to go hypnosis specific to IBS. He was trained according to the method used by Dr. Paulson(I believe that is how to spell it) at UNC center for GI and still attends seminars by Dr. Paulson.

He is quite a bit more expensive, however! Like 1300 dollars or so for 20 sessions. Somehow I have the belief that a real person is better. But perhaps not!!I definately like Mike's price better!!!

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I'll have to decide what's best for me, I guess. Money is a problem for me, so perhaps the tapes might be an option.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Heather7476 new
      #127968 - 12/06/04 05:23 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

No I am sorry I stoped!!! My main Problem with IBS is Gas and Bloat and any SFS just makes it so much worse I can't get to the point where they would help the gas and bloat! Did that make sense??? I know lots of people on here say they help a great deal with thier gas and bloat though!!! Give it a try!!!! Be Brave!!!!! I know it take alot of courage to do this!!!! I have faith in you hon!!!!
BIG HUGS!!!!!

PS Do you take a probiotic!! They have helped me a great deal!!! Just a thought!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Edited by heather7476 (12/06/04 05:25 AM)

Re: Heather7476 new
      #127989 - 12/06/04 06:58 AM
Augie

Which probiotic do you take? And how many a day? I am trying Jarro two times a day, but don't think it's doing much!

Do you take yours on an empty stomache or with a meal. Thanks sweetie!!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Bamagirl new
      #128062 - 12/06/04 10:42 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Sorry for the late reply! Yes, I added a calcium/magnesium supplement after the acacia based on research from this site. I have a hard time with calcium too, so I chose a liquid combination by Lifeway (I order online thru Puritan's Pride). It combines 300mg/magnesium with 600mg/calcium and I take 2T per day. (the daily dose on the bottle is only 1T per day and I did that for several months before increasing it) I find it helps for a daily BM and also seems to help me sleep better. Stress and red meat are my biggest triggers, so I get my biggest relief from the supplements and minding my diet.

I misbehaved a bit on the diet end of things this weekend and am paying for it today, but otherwise the combination of acacia (I started this very slowly too - 1/4t 3x per day and am now up to 2 1/2t 3x day) and calcium/magnesium, the C problem is almost totally resolved. Hope this helps!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Healing new
      #128706 - 12/08/04 11:36 AM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I am IBS-A prone to C. I know the pains of constipation, but have not had D except for when I ate something I should not have.

Yes I am eating the canned peaches, pears, apricots, mixed fruits. I have been picking up Delmont's brand at Safeway. They come in little containers that you can take any where. I have an eggbeater omelet for breakfast and two hours later I have a cup of oatmeal and put my fruit in it. I also drink lots of water and Yogi StomachEase tea. I can't drink the Fennel alone, it gives me too much gas!!!!! StomachEase contains organic Fennel, Peppermint and ginger. I also have just Ginger and Peppermint teas.

I use Heather's Peppermint Capsules, her tea gives me GERD. The Peppermint tea from the HFS does not bother me as much; probably not as strong as Heather's.

I am eating canned peas and carrots right now, along with Vegetable soup from the HFS. Beware of Campbell's vegetable soup, it has HFCS in it - that's a no-no for most of us, at least it is for me. I also eat frozen vegetables, i.e. beans, corn, okra, carrots and peas.

I make my own smoothies, with Rice Dream Vanilla milk. They are very filling. I am still working on the insolubles though just a little at a time.

Regarding the Acacia, I completely understand how you feel. It's scary thinking that you might be C for a while and bloated with painful spasms. I went through it and believe me you are not alone. I have been taking Acacia for about 3 1/2 weeks now and have moved us to 3/4 tablespoon. I do feel a little bloated, but am still having a bm everyday and just a little gas. You have to remember that each time you increase it, your body has to have time to adjust to more fiber. When I realized this, I did not mine the temporary bloating or extra gas because I knew it would be gone in a few days. It took me a long time to get up enough courage to try the Acacia again. It was just sitting in my cabinet in a tupperware container! I am glad I saw Casey's message, it turned on a light bulb for me. I was eating oatmeal, chicken and rice sourdough muffins and eggbeaters. Not nearly enough insolubles!!!!!!! Insolubles are the key to getting stable.

Step out on that ledge of FAITH and give it a try!! When you get bloated and a little gassy, just remember ---- my body is adjusting and this will be over in a matter of days.

God bless and strengthen you in this time of doubt. You can do it, I believe you can!

BIG, BIG, BIG HUGS!!!!!!!!

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

Re: I don't mind new
      #128709 - 12/08/04 11:53 AM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

Hi Michelle,

I am up to 3/4 tablespoons 3 x per day and I found that if I heat the water for about 1 min and 20 sec. it does not clump up. Any hotter or colder, and clumps are every where. Try it!

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3701 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10428

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review