All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Gas and beans
      #12234 - 06/21/03 02:00 PM
liz66

Reged: 04/24/03
Loc: Washington State

Thanks to everyone for all the delicious recipes. I have a hard time getting veggies in my diet so I liked the recipe "full of fiber vegetable soup" BUT I have had such gas after I eat it. I think it's the northern beans. Is there a way to prevent that from happening? Anything you can take naturally or a product out there that's good that someone has tried? Help!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gas and beans new
      #12236 - 06/21/03 02:18 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Maybe Beano? That may help.

#12237 - 06/21/03 02:27 PM
liz66

I've tried that but it doesn't seem to help that much. Am looking for another alternative to try.

#12239 - 06/21/03 02:59 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Wish there was something I could say to help but there isn't. I do believe some of us are just more sensitive than others to the affects of beans. Since developing IBS I have such a time with beans of all kinds (except green and wax which aren't in the dried bean/pea and legume category anyway) that I've had to give them ALL up. The bloating/pains/and gas is just too much. I tried just a tiny bit of low fat hummus and thought I'd explode! Even commercial canned soups, like ones by Health Valley (which I love) have beans in most of the varieties. I just pick them out. Even with bean-free homemade vegetable soups, I have to eat lots of extra rice or nibble on crackers or rice cakes while I'm eating the soup. I eat no more than 8 ounces of soup at one time.
Beano and Gas X doesn't work for me. The only thing that does is avoidance. It's a shame since I adore beans of all kinds. Since most of the insoluble fiber is in the skins I may try peeling butter beans (the large cream colored lima variety) someday just to see if that helps. (How's that for determination?) Even searching through many lists of soluble and insoluble fiber contents in beans there is a huge discrepancy. Which leads me to wonder, does anyone REALLY know the true soluble and insoluble fiber content of beans?

Kandee

--------------------

#12256 - 06/21/03 08:43 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Try making home cooked beans and adding epazote to the water when you boil them. It's a Mexican spice that reduces the gas from the beans. Adds a nice flavor, too. Also, try adding beans verrrry slowly to your diet, just a bit at a time. So only add a few tablespoons to a batch of soup. If you keep the portions tiny over time you should be able to gradually increase. This is helpful for soy, too, if you're new to that and having gas or bloating from it.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#12258 - 06/21/03 09:06 PM
kcj44

Reged: 03/23/03
Loc: Elk Grove, CA

Where can you find this spice-epazote? I can not eat any kinds of beans.

Thanks, Karen

#12260 - 06/21/03 09:22 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - It's available at Hispanic markets, and at spice shops. I've seen it in the bulk spice section of health food stores like Whole Foods. It's a dried green herb, and you just throw a few tablespoons into the pot before adding the beans. I've also read (but never tried) that adding baking soda to the water when you cook beans can help. Probably can't hurt to try.....

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

answer for constipation. new
      #12276 - 06/22/03 09:54 AM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

i want everyone to try a new product for constipation..
its called georges aloe vera..it looks like water in a bottle
your suppose to drink 4 ounces a day. you buy it in health stores only. now you can buy aloe vera in other stores, but its not like this stuff. jasper.

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

#12285 - 06/22/03 03:35 PM
liz66

Thanks a lot for the advice.

#12296 - 06/22/03 09:01 PM
paintlady

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Columbia, CA

Tip I found out about 15 yrs ago from an IBD friend.
Cook dried beans: bring to boil; water and dried beans (boil I minute)then turn off heat and let sit one hour (another way; soak over night). Then drain the bean water replace with (hot) fresh water, drain again and replace again (I usually do this step 3 times, helps get rid of gas in beans) now set pot of beans and new water on to simmer.
1/2 way through cooking time drain water again and replace the water. Set back on stove and cook until done. This tip also works with canned beans just replace bean juice with plain water before heating or cooking them. I also rinse canned beans before adding to salad or mashing and making sandwich (like garbonzo beans).
Paintlady

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3872 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1334

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review