All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Teeth extraction ?
      #11959 - 06/18/03 02:31 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I have to get all four of my wisdom teeth removed on July 16. I went for my consultation today and I am a mess. First the price, ouch. Second the procedure, where is the scared, want to cry and scream graemlins? All four are through and the roots look straight. He said it will be a simple extraction but I have one tooth, as he put it, severly decayed . What can I say, the filling fell out last year and I haven't had a chance to go. Somewhat true. If it wasn't for the fact I want to get pregnant I might have waited longer.

Anyways, to my question. If I do take the anesthesia, what should I expect from my lovely bowels? I am afraid I will have an attack that day and I won't be able to take immodium. I have such a terrible week and I think it was all becuase of this appt. I can go with the novican but then if there is a problem then things could go worse. Any suggestions would be helpful. Am I even making sense? Please help.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Teeth extraction ? new
      #11965 - 06/18/03 04:20 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi there - Well, hopefully your wisdom teeth extraction will go exactly like mine! I had two wisdom teeth out in high school, under some type of general anesthesia or maybe just a twilight thing. I'm not sure what it was called, but all I remember is the nurse putting a little needle in my arm and then she was talking to me, and I thought she was going to say they were ready to begin. She was actually telling me the whole thing was over! I never felt or remembered a thing. I was a bit loopy and tired for several hours, but I never even needed to take the painkillers they gave me. I even had a light dinner that night. This was by far the best dental experience I've ever had - less painful than having braces put on, less stressful than some regular cleanings I've had.

Now, in contrast, I had quite a few baby teeth pulled as a kid, always just with local novacaine, and it was a million times more stressful and painful than the wisdom teeth extraction. And I sometimes got an IBS attack after the fact, undoubtedly from all the stress that resulted from that pain and anxiety. In fact, the only way I agreed to have my wisdom teeth out was if it was under the general anesthesia - I had gotten to the point where I flat-out refused to have any other teeth pulled under just a local. I'd had enough!

So, I would highly, highly recommend the procedure not be done under just a local. That's just my own personal experience, but I do think that the stress of anticipation and worry is half the problem in these situations. Remove those factors, and the battle is almost won.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#12032 - 06/19/03 10:30 AM
Laurie

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Houston, TX

When I had my wisdom teeth pulled, almost 10 years ago, my dentist did it. He doesn't do anethesia. He gave me some pills to start taking the night before. I think one was valium and the others pain killers. I've oral surgery almost 15 years ago where I was put under. I'll take the anethesia any day. Even though I was heavily medicated and numbed I could see the blood and stuff. I'm actually pretty tough when I bleed but man that was rough. I think I may have lost consciousness at some point either I fell asleep or I passed out from the sight of my own blood. If it were me, and I have IBS-D, I would opt for being put under.

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

#12102 - 06/19/03 11:58 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

I had mine out last year and didn't have any problems with the anaesthesia. Just make sure you are careful about what you eat when you come out of it as your tummy will be empty from fasting .

Also, because your mouth will be sore for a while it would be a good idea to have some safe soft foods prepared. I made up some big batches of safe soups and pasta sauces.

Good luck!
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#12109 - 06/20/03 05:18 AM
torbetta

Laurie,
Where your wisdom teeth impacted? The oral surgent said it should be easier than most because they are in all the way. My biggest problem is since they are through insurance won't cover the anethesia, which is $300. I really didn't want to use our up coming tax credit rebate for my surgery, but I also don't want to look at any blood. I can't even stand the taste of it, so the site would be horrible. My sister had her's out a few years ago and said it was fine. They put her out and the next thing she knew it was over and she had no pain.

#12122 - 06/20/03 07:53 AM
Laurie

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Houston, TX

They had not even began cutting through my gums when they were removed. I only had 2 wisdom teeth, both were on bottom. My sister, the lucky duck, had none. She's never gone through that torture. Around here the dentists like to pull wisdom teeth around your 18th birtday. It's been that way for a long long time. My mother had her's removed when she was 18 and that was 1968. I'm sure you could handle it without anethesia. Maybe you could take an eye mask and relax with a CD or something. I didn't mean to worry you. I just wanted to share my experience with no anethesia, but mine were at a different stage than yours.

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

#12143 - 06/20/03 09:40 AM
torbetta

That is ok. I was just curious. I can't wait for it to be over. I was suppose to do it last year. As a matter of fact the perscription slip for the extraction had the date June 20, 2002 on it. I was suppose to have it done in Dec. but it was scheduled for the day my niece was born and I couldn't miss that.

#12301 - 06/23/03 12:32 AM
KinOz

I wouldn't recommend the local. As I mentioned earlier I had mine (3 of them) taken out under a GA last year and it was great. I had hardly any pain or swelling.

As a comparison a couple of years previous, I had 1 out under a local. Not only was the procedure really painful and stressful but I had heaps of swelling and bruising afterwards and I'm sure it was the stress (on me and the surgeon) of having it done that way.
The money spent on the GA was well worth it and I would have spent three times as much for it to be done that way after my first experience.

I don't mean to discourage you if you have made your mind up but that is just my experience with it. I know lots of people have them out under local with no worries and I may just have been unlucky. Stress really upsets my IBS though so I would be looking for the least stressful way of doing it.

Hope I haven't made the decision more difficult for you,
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#12316 - 06/23/03 09:42 AM
torbetta

Thanks Kerrie. You haven't discouraged me. That is why I asked. I thought I would decide that day. They told me last week I could decide later, so that is what I am going to do. My husband is taking the day off and the kids are going to be with my mother-in-law. I will make sure I don't eat. And then by 9:00 am on that day it will be over. I have never been under GA before so I am not sure what to expect and of course I am a little concerend about it. Thanks for your thoughts.

Re: Good Luck ! new
      #12350 - 06/23/03 11:29 PM
KinOz

I'll be thinking of you and I'm sure you'll be fine. Let us know how you go.

Kerrie

--------------------

Re: Teeth extraction update new
      #14192 - 07/16/03 09:54 AM
torbetta

I am back. My mouth is still numb and I am a little nausous. I went with the general and I am happy I did. Thanks for all your suggestions. Now I have to force myself to eat. I am so glad this is over and can't wait for my mouth to feel normal.

Re: Teeth extraction update new
      #14199 - 07/16/03 10:21 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I'm so glad it went well, and it's over for you. Take care of yourself!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: Well done... new
      #14317 - 07/18/03 12:42 AM
KinOz

... I have been wondering how you got on. Take it easy and start with some IBS safe soups, mashed potato etc.

Kerrie

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2275 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2186

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review