All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Back pains
      #11575 - 06/13/03 03:46 AM
Crow

Reged: 05/31/03
Loc: Adelaide, South Australia

Hi, I'm relatively new here on the board. My answer may be in the books (which I have ordered) but I thought others might have had similar experiences.

On some occasions I have had back pains in the upper middle area (roughly blow the shoulder blades) which tend to coincide with pains in the abdomen. There seems to be some link between the abdomen and back as I also get pains running around from the left side below the ribs to the painful area in the back. The pains are not severe but can be quite annoying.

Anybody get similar experiences? Is there a nerve connection between the colon and spine that can be irritated?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Back pains new
      #11576 - 06/13/03 03:53 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I'm not sure, sometimes I think it may be gas pressure because I feel this a lot when I'm bloated, too. But I felt the need to respond as right this minute I've got that awful pain down my left side, from up under the ribs and down, and then across into my back. So your post just sounded so familiar that I had to respond even though I don't really konw the answer, except that as I type I do have a cup of fennel tea steepign (good for gas, hoping that helps it!) Good luck!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#11578 - 06/13/03 05:16 AM
artist

Reged: 05/28/03

I get the same pain, between my shoulder blades, middle of my back. The first time I experienced it was after eating a McDonald's cheeseburger and fries. (Gee, I can't imagine why that might bother me!) This was pre-IBS, but it was one of my first symptoms. Since I have changed my diet it rarely happens now. A couple possible causes are, a high fat meal, gas pains, acid reflux, hiatal hernia. Also gallbladder trouble can cause pain between the shoulders. Mention it to your doc next time. Be well, artist

#11598 - 06/13/03 08:25 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I agree with Michelle-gas can cause it. Try to figure out what you ate that could have caused gas. I've had the same pain in the past after eating trigger foods.
Hope you feel better.

#11607 - 06/13/03 11:12 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Everyone gave good answers to this question, I just wanted to add that it can be a simple case of nerve connections between muscles in the abdomen and back. Some people find that when they have IBS symptoms the pain radiates down their legs or up their backs and even into their shoulders. If you have this pain as a stand alone symptoms from the IBS, though, that would indicate something else going on.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#11635 - 06/13/03 03:53 PM
YogaTeacher

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: New Hampshire

Hey Crow,

Just came from my chiropractor (who I see for my IBS) and yes, there can very well be a direct connection between your IBS pain and your back. Given that your entire nervous system runs through the spine, it makes sense that when we are having problems in the stomach and intestines that the muscles in the back will be affected as well.

Hope this helps.

Peace,
K

--------------------
"You have to be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

#11639 - 06/13/03 05:10 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

I get severe back pain because of IBS. It's awful.

Re: Back pains - thanks everyone! new
      #11660 - 06/14/03 01:24 AM
Crow

Reged: 05/31/03
Loc: Adelaide, South Australia

#296632 - 01/15/07 10:19 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

hi everyone, I did a search to find if anyone is suffering the same thing... it seems so. Today and yesterday I've been having sooo much pressue, at the moment is all down my left side from under my ribs to lower left side and around my back also some pain higher up in my back....
goodness me! lol I wrote a poem the other day called what next- seems appropriate for ibs lol
take care
xxx

I get them too-nt new
      #296658 - 01/15/07 11:30 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: I get them too-nt new
      #296663 - 01/15/07 12:13 PM
cloudidays

Reged: 12/10/06
Loc: Chicago,ILL

I do too, also across my chest I actually thought I was having a heart attack for a minute.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 409 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1730

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review