All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
miralax & nulev
      #11477 - 06/12/03 07:25 AM
coragrace03

Reged: 05/13/03
Loc: MA.

Hi there everyone!I went to the gastro today and he put me on all this stuff. I searched through some old postings on "miralax" because I'd never heard of it before. From what I read, Ruchie was just (reluctantly!) starting it. Ruchie, if you read this could you please let me know how its working for you? Also, Nulev, as needed for pain when I get my upper abdominal attacks. I've never heard of this one? Does anyone know how well it works or have experience w/ this drug? Also my Doc is having me do an at home breath test to determine the extent of my lactose intolerance. Have any of you ever done this?? I actually have to put my breath in a box and mail it out to a lab!!!! I got a kick out of this....its all new to me... I'd appreciate any feedback since I'm feeling a bit clueless right now.
Thanks so much,
Cora

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: miralax & nulev new
      #11479 - 06/12/03 07:39 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hi! I took Mira-lax for over a year. The first of this year my DR took my off that and started my on Zelnorm. The Zelnorm stopped working so I'm back on the Mira-Lax! I find it very effective for relieving the C, but I do get a lot of D now! What I would do for a happy medium!!! Sometimes it does take 2-3 days to get things moving. I also find I get more gas while I'm taking it! I am curious, how long did you DR tell you to take it for?? All the info I read online said it was a temporary thing. My DR said I could take it forever if needed?! Keep us posted on how it works for you!

I have never heard of Nulev. Is it strictly a pain pill?

Good Luck!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#11480 - 06/12/03 07:42 AM
paintlady

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Columbia, CA

Hi,
I took the breath test at lab many years ago. That's how they found out I have big problem with lactose. Never knew about the home breath test, things have changed I'm happy to hear.
Paintlady

#11485 - 06/12/03 08:31 AM
coragrace03

My Doc explained to me that miralax is only "fda approved" for short term use but its completely safe for long term use. He would like me to try it and if it works continue it longterm. The Nulev is supposed to stop the pain of my acute attacks. Not sure what exactly Nulev is, thats why I'm writing!
Thanx for your help,
Cora

#11493 - 06/12/03 09:13 AM
michele

Loc: southeastern michigan

I did some searching on line for NuLev. It looks to be pretty much the same as Levsin(which I sometimes take) The active ingredients in both drugs is hyoscyamine sulfate, which is suppose to help the colon relax. I took the Levsin 2x a day for months and it didn't seem to do much as preventive. I do find if I'm having a bad attack and take a lot of them 4-6 a day that it helps a little but makes my vision very blurry! I wouldn't reccomend taking that many but sometimes I get so desperate to make the pain stop. Let me know if it works for you. How long have you had IBS?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#11502 - 06/12/03 10:18 AM
Kristin

Loc: New Jersey

I was given Nulev back in Feb. (Ryoscyamine is the generic brand). Nulev comes in little packets, and dissolve in your mouth...they have a mintly flavor. You are supossed to take one with the onset of pain, and it's supossed to work within one minute. Well...
Sometimes it worked for me and sometimes it didn't. My doctor described it as an anti-spastic drug to calm the "nerves" in my tummy. My symptoms got worse 2 months ago, and I started taking the medicine as a preventitive. I think I just felt better knowing that I was taking something.
When I have my episodes of D, it comes on so quickly that nothing seems to help. Side effects of Nu-Lev are dry eyes...I just bought some eye drops and it seemed to help.

Good Luck!
Kristin

about the lactose intolerance... new
      #11526 - 06/12/03 01:14 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

This is kind of a useless test for IBS, because even if you're not lactose intolerant you may still have huge problems with dairy. Dairy has a lot of fat, casein and whey, which can all cause IBS attacks. So even lactose-free dairy can cause problems. And even if you're not lactose intolerant dairy can still make you sick.

Best bet is to avoid dairy altogether and use soy or rice substitutes.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: about the lactose intolerance... new
      #11529 - 06/12/03 01:31 PM
coragrace03

Hi Heather, He said depending on the test results he'd prescribe some substitution for the dairy in a pill form. Does that make sense? Thanks!
Cora

Re: about the lactose intolerance... new
      #11530 - 06/12/03 01:33 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - No, this doesn't make sense. You don't need a replacement for dairy. You can be perfectly healthy (if not healthier) without it. Entire countries and cultures in the world never eat dairy.

Perhaps he's talking about a calcium pill? I'd ask him what's up. :0

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#11570 - 06/13/03 12:02 AM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

i only take 3 times a day. i do still have cramping though. i am takeing hyoco to, its a genaract brand of nuelev. i was taking nulev but it was 50 dollars a bottle. now im taking hyoc. so do you drive at aall when takeing 4 to 6.

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

#11571 - 06/13/03 12:12 AM
jasperlovel

nuelev is a cramping muscle pil. its suppose to help. i use the genac brand hycoso. so i would try it if you talk to your dr. keep in touch. jasper.

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

#11572 - 06/13/03 12:13 AM
jasperlovel

ive had ibs for 10 years.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2078 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3427

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review