All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Baked Beans
      #10881 - 06/05/03 02:19 PM
Corinne

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

I am wondering if baked beans, brown beans whatever you want to call them is ok. I can't seem to find any real reference to them. I really like chili and want to make it but am not sure what to use. Thanks.

--------------------
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Baked Beans new
      #10883 - 06/05/03 02:28 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Beans have an insoluble fiber skin but the interior flesh is soluble fiber. They also contain raffinose, a sugar, that can cause gas and other GI problems for IBS. In general, if beans are well-cooked and blended or pureed, they're pretty tolerable, especially if you have them in smaller quantities with a high soluble fiber basis. So, serve your chili (which should be low fat, without meat or dairy) over rice or pasta.

The good thing about beans is that the more often you eat them the better you'll digest raffinose, and eventually they shouldn't cause gas at all.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#10895 - 06/05/03 03:58 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

Really?? So if I just kept eating them there would be none of the usual 'bean' side-effects?

#10896 - 06/05/03 04:05 PM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Thats interesting to know.... though I used to eat beans for breakfast, lunch and dinner (ya, i liked them alot ) and could have powered an entire factory with all the gas I produced! My biggest trigger

On a side note, if it were true that the more you eat of beans, the less their side effects show up, then that old child's tune wouldnt exactly be true, would it?? (beans, beans, the magical fruit, the more you eat..)

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

#10897 - 06/05/03 04:10 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

No, it really wouldn't be the case then, would it. I ask because I love beans, but don't eat them (for obvious reasons). If its the case that I just have to tough it out for a while before it gets better though, then it's a different ball game.

#10899 - 06/05/03 04:47 PM
Corinne

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Thanks. Should I mash them in the chili or just mash my own? I usually serve chili with garlic bread (minimal margarine and fresh garlic) as I LOVE bread with my chili.

--------------------
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

#11081 - 06/08/03 11:01 AM
susaloh

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Kiel, Germany

When I was a student I used to know some Brasilian girls, all of them very pretty and very petite, and they didn't seem to have any problems at all even though they were eating beans every day sometimes even twice! Imagine, a whole country of Brasilians living on beans, I wonder what the air there would be like if they didn't get used to the beans?

Susaloh

Getting used to beans... new
      #11086 - 06/08/03 01:18 PM
Kris

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: Vancouver Island, BC

My body is still in the first stages of getting used to eating beans again, after many years without them, i have started to eat beans/tofu products/chili etc a few times per week, but i eat chewable Beano tablets before and during each bean meal in order to reduce the gas problem. I hear that Tempeh products are the easiest to digest, then tofu products, and lastly whole beans (cooked) are a little less easy to digest in terms of gas production, though I enjoy all different kinds of beans and dishes regardless. In the meantime, the Beano seems to help a lot, and in time, i hope that i will be able to deal with the raffinose on my own. i wonder how long it takes one's body to adjust. This is news to me.
Kris

--------------------
Be the change you want to see in the world.

Yes! Beano is great, thanks for mentioning that. -nt- new
      #11109 - 06/08/03 06:58 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3176 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1684

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review