All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Chamomile Questions
      #108403 - 09/25/04 05:56 PM
SisterDawn

Reged: 09/16/04
Loc: Iowa.

Hi, all. Another herb question here. I've searched the site for this, but don't see an answer. I also e-mailed Heather directly, but she told me to post this to the boards, so here goes.

I see the site suggests peppermint or fennel tea most strongly. It mentions chamomile, but doesn't say nearly as much about it. Have you guys found that Peppermint or Fennel work better than chamomile then? I plan to order some Fennel from Heather at the beginning of the month, because it seems her products are of higher quality. But for now I think I'll get chamomile. Do you guys have any suggestions about what kind (like brand, or type) to get, and where to find it? I know there's the Celestial Sesonings teas, but I figure there are probably stronger and purer forms of chamomile to get than that. What are your suggestions? Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Chamomile Questions new
      #108404 - 09/25/04 06:07 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Well, whether or not chamomile will work for you kind of depends on your symptoms. Chamomile is generally soothing, but doesn't do anything for specific IBS symptoms, I've found. For cramping and spasms, *nothing* beats peppermint, and for gas and bloating, fennel is definitely what you want.

I think a lot of us who drink chamomile tend to drink it as a general beverage, not necessarily for the medicinal properties. A lot of the Celestial Seasonings teas are chamomile-based, and are quite tasty.

Hope that helps a little!

#108406 - 09/25/04 07:50 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I agree with Casey about Peppermint and Fennel being the best for IBS symptoms.

Chamomile is used more as a calming tea to be used before bedtime and for digestion in NORMAL people. We who have IBS need something stronger, but if you're set on using Chamomile get the German chamomile. It is of the highest quality and the strongest, however, no matter how much you use it will never have a strong taste of any sort..........but you'll sleep well...LOL.

--------------------

#108432 - 09/26/04 07:07 AM
SisterDawn

Hi. Thanks for responding to my questions. Thanks to the heads-up about German chamomile, I went browsing, and found an interesting site. The company is called Traditional Medicinals. They look like they sell high quality herbal teas. Since I have IBS, I still will go with Heather's Tummy Teas, since she knows what she is talking about, but I'm glad I found this other site as well, and will probably read some more on it.

#108433 - 09/26/04 07:10 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Traditional Medicinals teas are very good. I drink the Ginger Aid - it's good for nausea and digestion in general, but it's really tasty too. (Well, I think so; I love ginger.)

#108439 - 09/26/04 08:35 AM
Kandee

Love Traditional Medicinal teas and if you noticed they carry and ORGANIC Chamomile. I like the fact that they are individually wrapped and labeled so are good for travel.

I like the Bodum tea press...a little roundy 3-4 cup glass pot with large plastic basket with the press on top and the entire thing can go into the dishwasher for cleaning. I think it's about $19. The basket is large enuf to let the fennel seeds expand (and boy they will).

Smart choice going with Heather's tummy teas. They are the best quality for the money you'll find.

Kandee

--------------------

I'd second this... new
      #108491 - 09/26/04 03:35 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I've posted all the IBS-specific info on chamomile I've been able to find, in the supplements section here Chamomile

I don't carry chamomile tea because it's so widely available in stores, even in bulk (whereas fennel and peppermint, especially really fresh and high quality, aren't always). I also just don't personally find chamomile that helpful - it tastes nice, and it certainly doesn't hurt, but I don't find it nearly as strong as peppermint or fennel. And, folks with hayfever or daisy allergies can have problems with chamomile.

Bottom line, try all of the herbs that can help IBS, see what you like best, then mix and match for whatever suits you!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#108494 - 09/26/04 03:46 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

You can also go to your local HFS and get some StomachEase by Yogi Teas. It is really good and works!

I can't tolerate to much of the peppermint tea, it gives me GERD. I do have Heather's peppermint capsules though and they work wonders for me.

I just can't tolerate "pure" Fennel tea. It gives me gas something awful and I mean AWFUL!!!

The StomachEase contains Fennel and Peppermint. It does the trick for me.

I take Chamomile tea (Bigelow) or some that I picked up at the HFS when I am anxious or having a really bad "tummy" day. I also take it before I go sleep at night. It relaxes me and helps me fall asleep naturally.

Pick and choose. You will find the right blend for you.

Good luck!

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#108530 - 09/26/04 09:16 PM
SisterDawn

Hi, all! Thanks for the feedback on Traditional Medicinals teas. I was hoping some of you would have heard of them or used them.

I'm very curious about this Bottom Tea Press. I didn't see anything about it on the TM site. Do they make it, and can you buy it where you'd buy the TM teas? It sounds like an interesting gadget.

#108532 - 09/26/04 09:41 PM
Kandee

The little tea press I was referring to is made by Bodum and comes in a 2 or 4 cup size. I find the 2 cup (16 ounces) perfect for me. See: web page It is meant to be used with loose leaf tea like Heather's tummy teas. I've never seen it in the health food stores where they carry TM teas but have seen it in coffee shoppes and import stores like Cost Plus World Market and even a few Target stores. You can order it on line as well. I haven't tried one but am told a French press (for coffee) will also work.

Hope this helps.

Kandee

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4658 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1024

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review