All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
new user
      #10598 - 06/03/03 10:24 AM
gloworm49

Reged: 06/03/03
Loc: New London, Connecticut

I recently read Heather's book "Eating for IBS" and am currently reading her new one. This is going to be a long one, so please bear with me. I have had IBS since I was twelve. With every menstrual period, I suffered from cramps, bloating, and diarrhea. I was diagnosed with lactose intolerance and colitis at 32, severe allergies (environmental, food, medicine, even silk) at 42. Two years ago I had a hysterectomy. Prior to that I used and abused Motrin for the pain. Six months after the hyst, I began to have frequent bouts of diarrhea, nausea, cramping, bloating and headaches, that still continues. I have had several blood tests, upper endoscopy, and am waiting for an appointment with a new gastro doctor, that is seven weeks away. My problems occur in the morning and seem to dissipate by mid-morning. I have been following Heather's IBS diet for four weeks. I was fine for three weeks and then I ate something, and now I am back to square one. I am a little frustrated. I work out with weights three times a week because I have lost 12 pounds--I am 5" 4 1/2 " and normally weigh about 120. I get 7 to 8 hours of sleep a night. Besides my allergy medications, my primary doctor has but me on Lexapro. It appears to help with my headaches and anxiety. (I am unable to take HRT as it aggravates my IBS.) Is there something that I can do to "stay balanced" until my appointment with the gastro doctor, that I am not already doing? Also, is fat-free turkey okay to eat on this diet.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: new user new
      #10611 - 06/03/03 12:18 PM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Hi and welcome to the board, we're glad you joined us!
Fat free turkey is fine,as long as you can tolerate it. Although Heather's diet is great, you do need to watch if there is anything included on it that you personally cannot tolerate. Some people can be intolerant of otherwise 'safe' items, and it sounds like you were doing well otherwise, so perhaps keep a closer eye on exactly what you are eating.
Also, have you had a soluble fiber supplement prescribed? This works well for a lot of people to ensure they get enough sf to keep them stable.
Good luck with the doc when you finally get there, and let us know how you get on.

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#10621 - 06/03/03 02:49 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi & welcome! I agree with everything Sarah said. Just wanted to add that if you have the fat-free turkey, just make sure you have some type of soluble fiber with it.

Do you know what you ate that caused this last flare up? Or are you still trying to figure that part out?

#10623 - 06/03/03 02:59 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Hi,

Are you taking a soluble fiber supplement? They really help to stabilise you although because you mentioned the bloating i would avoid Metamucil or any other psyllium product and go for one of the others such as Benefiber. Start with a small dose and work up to 2T twice a day increasing gradually by about 1tsp per dose.

Also, maybe try some yoga or other relaxation as well. There is plenty of info on the yoga board for specific postures to help with each of the symptoms you mention.

Good Luck,
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Re: new user - Balance? new
      #10645 - 06/03/03 06:05 PM
Lisa from LA

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Currently: Raleigh, NC Formerly: Lafayette, LA

Was your question regarding being balanced pertaining to hormones?

Re: new user - Balance? new
      #10679 - 06/04/03 09:04 AM
gloworm49

My question was regarding my eating habits and dealing with the problems of hysterectomy induced menopause. Also, I cannot eat soy or tofu. I am currently using a fiber supplement without psyllium twice a day and drinking a vegetable non-soy protein drink. I am small-boned so my weight loss is very visible. The comments from co-workers about my weight has become tedious. I guess I looking for advice.

Edited by gloworm49 (06/04/03 09:16 AM)

#10680 - 06/04/03 09:21 AM
gloworm49

Thanks for the support, Sarah. For many years, I thought I was the only one dealing with this problem. I am a little anxious about seeing the doctor but my primary care physician assures me that with the battery of tests I have already taken I should not expect any adverse news. This visit is just a precaution. I so glad I discovered this site and Heather's books. What a Godsend.

Re: new user - symptons new
      #10764 - 06/04/03 06:40 PM
Lisa from LA

I too had a hysterectomy. Do you suffer with hotflashes, insomnia and vaginal dryness?

Re: new user - symptons new
      #10806 - 06/05/03 08:23 AM
gloworm49

Hi Lisa,

No, I do not suffer from vaginal dryness, but I do have insomnia, hot flashes, and persistent headahes. Someone suggested valarian but I do not know much about it. I am using a progesterine cream that I got at a health food store that seems to help with the hot flashes.

Re: new user - Hormone Test? new
      #10902 - 06/05/03 07:25 PM
Lisa from LA

Have you had an hormone profile done lately? This will let doctors know which hormones are low and which are high. This can be done either by blood or saliva testing. Natural practioners prefer the saliva testing and doctors prefer bloodwork. My regular gyno. prescribed natural estrogen and progesterone from a compounding natural pharmacy. I prefer natural products as they don't come with all the problems that synthetic hormones come with. Most gynos don't feel menapausal women need progesterone but natural practitioners feel differently. Naturally speaking, Kava Kava will help you to relax to fall asleep and Melatonin will help you stay asleep (the kava kava is available in tea form). Also Black Cohosh tea is good for hot flashes. Hope this helps.

Kava Kava new
      #10911 - 06/05/03 08:50 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - There have been some warnings about this herbal supplement in the past year or so, and a lot of products have been pulled off the market. I think it was causing liver damage?

Be careful...

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3567 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1973

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review