All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ok this is new to me - blood in stool?
      #105597 - 09/13/04 01:32 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Ok. This is new. For those of you who don't know - I'm a moderator and have had my IBS symptoms under control for a long time thanks to Heather. But lately, once in a while, I've had painful BM's with blood. The BM's are normal, but with a strong urge, and the blood is only a small amount, but nonetheless,is unexplained. I feel a sharp pain right before it happens - almost like something's tearing. The blood amount is only a small amount, but I'm a bit concerned. Does this sound like a polyp or a syst growth of some sort? Otherwise, I feel perfectly fine. This only happens 1-2 times per month.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ok this is new to me - blood in stool? new
      #105607 - 09/13/04 02:04 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

Sounds like hemorrohoids (sp) to me. Especially since you feel some pain when you go. Try some hemorrohoid creme or suppositories and see if that helps. Otherwise if this persists I would go and let the doc check just to be sure.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

#105614 - 09/13/04 02:21 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

I can't speak for ever having this happen, but I do know that almost everything I read about IBS says that if there's blood in the stool to see a doctor. I'd probably check it out to let him figure out whether it's hemorrohoids (I'm going with Barbie's spelling...) just in case it might be something more serious.

#105636 - 09/13/04 03:17 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I had this happen to me 2 years ago and it freaked me out. I went to a clinic and they told me to go to the hospital. I did and the doc did a rectal exam and found nothing. I went to my family doctor the next day and it turned out to be a fissure. http://www.gicare.com/pated/ecdgs38.htm

He gave me some hemroid cream and I had to use it 3X a day for 2 weeks and it went away. I'd go se your doctor though. They can get worse.

#105639 - 09/13/04 03:28 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Han!!!!

Sounds like hemorrhoids I know cause I've been there. But please talk to your doc to be sure...it could be something else and we wouldn't want you to have something more serious on your hands and go untreated!!!

Please let us know what you decide and what your doc says

We love you!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Han Solo, Don't Worry!! new
      #105650 - 09/13/04 03:53 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Han Solo, it's VERY simple. If the blood is bright red, don't worry about it. It's a hemmorhoid or just an "owie" from straining so hard that your skin splits open. Yeah, I know, gross, but it happens all the time to me. Just get some Lanacane ointment or the equivalent and use it for a day or two and it will be all better!

The blood in the stool that is dark and tarry is what needs to be checked out by a doctor.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Yep, I'd second this! -nt- new
      #105651 - 09/13/04 03:54 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

I'd third this! -nt- new
      #105715 - 09/14/04 12:06 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Re: Thanks all! -nt- new
      #105740 - 09/14/04 05:15 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#105744 - 09/14/04 05:38 AM
JosephC

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: Kansas City

sounds like a 'roid to me, as well. And Ive had them too, so I'm familiar with what you felt. I was terrified. But they happen. I've actually dealt with mine for nearly a year now (knock on wood it hasnt bled in months, but I still get pains from it occasionally)

Anyone know a good OTC that seems to help? Bev pointed me toward some wipes that worked better than the PrepH ones, but the PrepH ointment didnt do jack and the stuf docs gave me was REALLY expensive and didnt work. Its not a big bother now unless I get a bad attack and end up in the bathroom often, but if there's a pretty well proven method out there, I'll look into it.

HanSolo, hope it clears up for you. While not serious, they certainly are not any fun to deal with.

#105764 - 09/14/04 07:31 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, Joseph! Glad to see you survived the hurricanes (so far). Have you tried Lanacane? Both my DH and I find it very soothing. Also the traditional home remedy is something called witch hazel, which I hear both soothes and shrinks them.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2505 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2217

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review