Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Need some advice for early morning classes
      #10541 - 06/02/03 08:10 PM
Thor

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Cold Lake, Alaska

Hey all,

I'm going through summer semester at UVic, and I have early morning classes. My IBS is not reacting too nicely to them, causing a ton of agony before and during lecture. I'm always in the washroom before class (ugh).

I'm trying to get more sleep, but that doesn't seem to be helping. I've also been avoiding food in the morning, until after my first class. Is this a good idea?

If anyone has early-morning advice or tips for me, I'd be extremely greatful. I am not a morning person.

Thanks in advance

Thor

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need some advice for early morning classes new
      #10544 - 06/02/03 08:22 PM
Teg

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hi
I am not an expert by any means and I am quite new to the board and the diet for that matter, but I have found that taking a fiber supplement about an hour before I go to bed and then again in the morning, first thing before I eat anyting has helped me. I seem to get a lot of my attacks in the morning just as I am trying to get out the door and since I have been taking the supplement and following the diet I am much better. Also I wouldn't not eat in the morning if you can help it. I find this only makes things worse, at the time and when you finally do eat.
Not sure if any of that will help or not....
Teresa

Re: Need some advice for early morning classes new
      #10546 - 06/02/03 08:44 PM
Thor

Thanks Teresa, I'm always trying to crank up my fiber intake. I'll try increasing it.

Isn't it awful how it always hits you as you're going out the door. I hate that.

Cheers

Thor

This is really good advice... new
      #10552 - 06/02/03 09:32 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

it's what I do when I have to get up early (and for me, that's anything before 9 am). I'm the world's worst morning person.

I find that in addition to the soluble fiber supplement right before bed and first thing when I wake up, I also end and start the day with a mug of really strong (I brew it black) peppermint tea. And I have some dry white bread toast on my way out the door, as going completely without eating doesn't usually work well.

Also, someone (HansSolo?) posted earlier a good idea about brewing peppermint tea, letting it cool, and filling a water bottle with it. Take that with you to class and sip throughout the lecture.

You might also find a long, very hot shower or bath before bedtime helps too. It's a muscle relaxant, and can make you sleep easier and deeper, and the more rested you are the easier mornings will be. Even if it's not helping a lot you're smart to try and get extra sleep. It will make a difference.

PS - I nearly went to UVic for grad school! Sometimes I really regret that I didn't, actually.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: This is really good advice... new
      #10584 - 06/03/03 07:40 AM
gator

Reged: 05/26/03
Loc: Florida

Heather.. I too have bad mornings..for some reason when I wake up I usually go twice before 8am... one thing that further complicates this, is that I am a volunteer Firefighter and so quite often I get woken up in the middle of the night for a call and of course, my body thinks it's morning and I have problems when I'm on the call, sometimes barely making it back to the firehouse.. I'm not sure what to do to help this (i'm sure the stress of some of these calls doesn't help either!!) do you think taking an immodium before I go to bed might help if I have to get up in the middle of the night??? or do you think just the stress of these calls does it and nothing will help?? I would appreciate any advice...

--------------------
Thank You

#10597 - 06/03/03 10:21 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - Well, it sounds like that is such a highly stressful situation I'm not sure what would overcome it. Your body is really being shocked out of sleep, which is stressful enough, but then you're bolting out the door to go fight a fire. That cannot be a calming experience.

I would lean heavily towards trying to do everything you can to address stress and anxiety in general, including yoga and the IBS hypnotherapy tapes. The tapes might actually give you some ways to quickly calm yourself and your gut when you suddenly find yourself in a stressful situation. Many people who have used them have mentioned this - they tend to snap right into mentally repeating or imagining portions of the tapes that soothe them and calm down their bodies when they're faced with stress. Over time you might actually be able to make a habit of this, so that you automatically go into a calming routine when you're awakened in the dead of night. You might ask about this on the hypno board and see what folks there think.

I'm not sure about the Immodium at night...you might end up taking it too often when you don't need it. Might try regularly taking a dose of soluble fiber and peppermint tea before bedtime. That will help a bit, though I'm still not sure it would overcome the anxiety of rushing to a fire in the dead of night. Geez... I totally admire you for doing this at all, let alone with IBS!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#10603 - 06/03/03 10:55 AM
gator

Reged: 05/26/03
Loc: Florida

Thanks Heather.. I appreciate that.. I will give the tapes a try..

--------------------
Thank You

Re: SF Supp before bedtime - Heather? new
      #10627 - 06/03/03 03:18 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Heather,

I like this idea but was wondering if you mean to take an additional dose before bedtime or switch from your usual time to before bedtime?

I currently take mine first thing in the morning before breakfast and then before dinner time.

Thanks,Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#10649 - 06/03/03 06:24 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - It could actually go either way. If you're already at the max dose then you could switch the before dinner to before bedtime. Or you could divide that dose into half before dinner, half before bedtime. If you're not at the maximum dose then you could keep your current morning/dinner doses the same and add in a third dose before bedtime.

- H

--------------------

#10650 - 06/03/03 06:56 PM
Thor

Thanks for the advice Heather,

I totally have to crank up my fiber intake. Hopefully in the fall I wont have morning classes.

Cheers

Thor

#10659 - 06/04/03 03:08 AM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

How could taking fiber supplement before bedtime help in the morning?

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#10710 - 06/04/03 12:36 PM
HeatherAdministrator

It's keeping your gut full of soluble fiber, which you want to do 24-7. Getting yourself stable the night before can keep you stable first thing the next morning.

- H

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5727 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2182

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review