Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What to do?
      #104360 - 09/07/04 06:39 PM
Organic Gal

Reged: 09/07/04
Loc: Southwest U.S.

Hi all,

I'm new here -- well, I've been reading for a while, but this is my first post.

I bought the book, and can follow the diet to a point, but the problem I have is that I have severe (meaning life-threatening) food allergies -- wheat (that means all flour products), soy, corn, rice, potatoes, rye, and oats (also eggs and dairy, but at least those don't matter with the IBS diet!).

So you guessed it -- how do I get all that great soluble fiber that is so crucial?

OG

--------------------
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -- John Lennon

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

What about root veggies? new
      #104361 - 09/07/04 06:48 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Those are high soluble fiber - so are bananas and mangoes. What about barley or quinoa? Tapioca? Plantains, squash, pumpkin, and taro root would work too. If you build up a tolerance to beans gradually, they can be a great source of soluble fiber, especially if you puree them into dips or soups to minimize the insoluble fiber in their skins.

I'm guessing you're going to have to find some alternative grains that are not allergenic for you but still have a good soluble fiber basis. You might start checking the bulk section of health food stores for lots of grain choices. And see what folks with celiac on the recipe board suggest - they're really familiar with lots of grain choices.

Also - I'd find a soluble fiber supplement that you like, and get yourself up to 12-15 grams a day if you can. That can be your crutch to use before/with meals when you're having trouble finding soluble fiber foods to do the trick.

And welcome!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: What to do? new
      #104363 - 09/07/04 06:51 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Hmm... I'm trying to think of some of the alternative grains I've seen at the health food store, although I have to admit that I don't know anything about them. Spelt? Quinoa? Maybe someone else will be able to help more with that, but I've seen a lot of baked goods made with spelt, maybe those would work? Barley is soluble too.

How about turnips, rutabegas, squash? Sweet potatoes and yams? Carrots are soluble, too. Cook them all really well and mash 'em.

I don't know how helpful this was, but I tried. Hopefully someone else will have some helpful suggestions. Welcome, by the way!

Good suggestions new
      #104366 - 09/07/04 07:02 PM
Organic Gal

Thanks for the suggestions -- I'll have to revamp my diet and fit some of those roots in.

I don't know about the fiber supplements -- what are they made of? Do they have wheat or anything in them?

Thanks again,

OG

--------------------
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -- John Lennon

poor you! nt new
      #104368 - 09/07/04 07:06 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Good suggestions new
      #104369 - 09/07/04 07:07 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I don't think any of them contain wheat, but to be on the safe side, I would stick with something that's a pure soluble fiber supplement, without any "fillers", like Heather's acacia. You can read up on it at that link there. I'm not sure about which others contain fillers and which don't - I think Benefiber is filler-free too. Here is the general information page for SFS's; that might be in there somewhere. (My skimming skills aren't so great tonight, heh.)

#104390 - 09/07/04 09:12 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Welcome OG,

Amaranth, quinoa, tapioca, arrowroot, teff, buckwheat, wild rice (not really a rice but a grass) and pea, bean and millet flours can be baked into high soluble fiber items to use as a base for your meals if you can't tolerate wheat or rice flours. (There are more--I just can't think of them all right now but I'm sure someone will jump in here to add to the list.) Spelt and Kamut are both forms of wheat but strangely some people allergic to modern day wheat can tolerate them because they lack the culprit enzymes that regular wheat has in it. (Not if you are Celiac however.) If you don't know for sure you'll have to experiment with them. Almond beverage may be your only milk sub option.

Acacia as your SFS seems to me to be the best option for you.

Although you are quite limited this diet still can be successful for you using alternatives.

Good luck,

Kandee

--------------------

#104424 - 09/08/04 07:18 AM
Living Waters Ranch

Reged: 07/23/04
Loc: Georgia, USA

I also have severe allergies. Many of the safe foods that Heather uses in her diet I can't eat. If I use regular bread flour (not whole wheat),it doesn't bother me.I use acacia for my supplement. I also eat bananas,squash, pumpkin, and carrots (processed then cooked).Remember, allergies change. I stayed away from wheat, tomatoes, and chocolate for 2 years. Then I was able to go back to eating tomatoes and chocolate (cocoa) with no problem.I have never been able to go back to wheat. During that time, I built up my immune system and my allergies improved. Try to find something that can build up your immune system. Hope this helps.

#104427 - 09/08/04 07:28 AM
Organic Gal

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I was just reading about the acacia -- think I'll try that. I've tried baking with some of those "other" things, but they really aren't even close to acceptable. Bean flours in particular are weird-tasting. I do eat wild rice -- love that stuff! So chewy and nutty-tasting. Yes, almond milk is good -- I make Heather's horchata with it almost every day!

You guys all seem like a great group. I've been watching for a while, to see if I wanted to join. I've visited other online groups (for my rheumatoid arthritis and bone marrow failure disease), and there's always at least one real witch who drives everyone away and starts fights at least hourly. Nice to see an online support group that really is supportive!!!

Thanks again, everyone,

OG

--------------------

Re: poor you! nt new
      #104429 - 09/08/04 07:30 AM
Organic Gal

I have to ask -- what's "nt" mean?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3643 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3943

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review