Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What to do?
      #104360 - 09/07/04 06:39 PM
Organic Gal

Reged: 09/07/04
Loc: Southwest U.S.

Hi all,

I'm new here -- well, I've been reading for a while, but this is my first post.

I bought the book, and can follow the diet to a point, but the problem I have is that I have severe (meaning life-threatening) food allergies -- wheat (that means all flour products), soy, corn, rice, potatoes, rye, and oats (also eggs and dairy, but at least those don't matter with the IBS diet!).

So you guessed it -- how do I get all that great soluble fiber that is so crucial?

OG

--------------------
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -- John Lennon

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

What about root veggies? new
      #104361 - 09/07/04 06:48 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Those are high soluble fiber - so are bananas and mangoes. What about barley or quinoa? Tapioca? Plantains, squash, pumpkin, and taro root would work too. If you build up a tolerance to beans gradually, they can be a great source of soluble fiber, especially if you puree them into dips or soups to minimize the insoluble fiber in their skins.

I'm guessing you're going to have to find some alternative grains that are not allergenic for you but still have a good soluble fiber basis. You might start checking the bulk section of health food stores for lots of grain choices. And see what folks with celiac on the recipe board suggest - they're really familiar with lots of grain choices.

Also - I'd find a soluble fiber supplement that you like, and get yourself up to 12-15 grams a day if you can. That can be your crutch to use before/with meals when you're having trouble finding soluble fiber foods to do the trick.

And welcome!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: What to do? new
      #104363 - 09/07/04 06:51 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Hmm... I'm trying to think of some of the alternative grains I've seen at the health food store, although I have to admit that I don't know anything about them. Spelt? Quinoa? Maybe someone else will be able to help more with that, but I've seen a lot of baked goods made with spelt, maybe those would work? Barley is soluble too.

How about turnips, rutabegas, squash? Sweet potatoes and yams? Carrots are soluble, too. Cook them all really well and mash 'em.

I don't know how helpful this was, but I tried. Hopefully someone else will have some helpful suggestions. Welcome, by the way!

Good suggestions new
      #104366 - 09/07/04 07:02 PM
Organic Gal

Thanks for the suggestions -- I'll have to revamp my diet and fit some of those roots in.

I don't know about the fiber supplements -- what are they made of? Do they have wheat or anything in them?

Thanks again,

OG

--------------------
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -- John Lennon

poor you! nt new
      #104368 - 09/07/04 07:06 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Good suggestions new
      #104369 - 09/07/04 07:07 PM
atomic rose

I don't think any of them contain wheat, but to be on the safe side, I would stick with something that's a pure soluble fiber supplement, without any "fillers", like Heather's acacia. You can read up on it at that link there. I'm not sure about which others contain fillers and which don't - I think Benefiber is filler-free too. Here is the general information page for SFS's; that might be in there somewhere. (My skimming skills aren't so great tonight, heh.)

#104390 - 09/07/04 09:12 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Welcome OG,

Amaranth, quinoa, tapioca, arrowroot, teff, buckwheat, wild rice (not really a rice but a grass) and pea, bean and millet flours can be baked into high soluble fiber items to use as a base for your meals if you can't tolerate wheat or rice flours. (There are more--I just can't think of them all right now but I'm sure someone will jump in here to add to the list.) Spelt and Kamut are both forms of wheat but strangely some people allergic to modern day wheat can tolerate them because they lack the culprit enzymes that regular wheat has in it. (Not if you are Celiac however.) If you don't know for sure you'll have to experiment with them. Almond beverage may be your only milk sub option.

Acacia as your SFS seems to me to be the best option for you.

Although you are quite limited this diet still can be successful for you using alternatives.

Good luck,

Kandee

--------------------

#104424 - 09/08/04 07:18 AM
Living Waters Ranch

Reged: 07/23/04
Loc: Georgia, USA

I also have severe allergies. Many of the safe foods that Heather uses in her diet I can't eat. If I use regular bread flour (not whole wheat),it doesn't bother me.I use acacia for my supplement. I also eat bananas,squash, pumpkin, and carrots (processed then cooked).Remember, allergies change. I stayed away from wheat, tomatoes, and chocolate for 2 years. Then I was able to go back to eating tomatoes and chocolate (cocoa) with no problem.I have never been able to go back to wheat. During that time, I built up my immune system and my allergies improved. Try to find something that can build up your immune system. Hope this helps.

#104427 - 09/08/04 07:28 AM
Organic Gal

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I was just reading about the acacia -- think I'll try that. I've tried baking with some of those "other" things, but they really aren't even close to acceptable. Bean flours in particular are weird-tasting. I do eat wild rice -- love that stuff! So chewy and nutty-tasting. Yes, almond milk is good -- I make Heather's horchata with it almost every day!

You guys all seem like a great group. I've been watching for a while, to see if I wanted to join. I've visited other online groups (for my rheumatoid arthritis and bone marrow failure disease), and there's always at least one real witch who drives everyone away and starts fights at least hourly. Nice to see an online support group that really is supportive!!!

Thanks again, everyone,

OG

--------------------

Re: poor you! nt new
      #104429 - 09/08/04 07:30 AM
Organic Gal

I have to ask -- what's "nt" mean?

--------------------

#104430 - 09/08/04 07:35 AM
atomic rose

"No text" - meaning that the body of the message has nothing in it.

#104432 - 09/08/04 07:37 AM
Organic Gal

Yes, my dream is that I can get over some of these allergies. I've been told that if you stay away from an allergen (food) for a few years, it could happen. So it really works, huh?

Not to be argumentative, but "bread flour" is made from wheat (check the label). There's whole wheat, and bleached flours, but they're made from the same little old wheat berry. For me, it doesn't matter if it's bleached or whole-grain wheat -- a crumb is enough to do put me into anaphylaxis, so we have a wheat-free house.

Thanks for the reply, and take care,

OG

--------------------

#104433 - 09/08/04 07:41 AM
Organic Gal

I have so much to learn! So naive! (Possibly more to learn about CMCs than IBS!)

So it means that they wanted to say a few words only, and put it in the title instead of the body? Thanks.

Oh, I'm from Maine, by the way. Moved to the Southwest a few years ago -- too many New Yorkers moving in (kidding, honest -- I read your bio!).

OG

--------------------

#104440 - 09/08/04 08:01 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi there! Welcome to the boards!!

What's CMS?

Kasha and millet are great ideas (I can't have wheat or flour either). Be careful with Quinoa...it often contains corn by-products.

Can you eat spelt? My guess is no...but if you can, it broadens your choices quite a bit. They make spelt flour and pasta, etc. If you can have glutn...then enjoy spelt!

Can you have barley?

Are you able to eat sugar?

I'm gonna be thinking for you...as is everyone else on the board. We're gonna help you get throught his and get stable!

I can't have sugar, wheat, gluten, cucumbers, onions, potatoes, (I do eat potatoes but I pay for it...same with rice and corn), and many other things. Starchy foods hurt me. So I hear where you're coming from. I am thinking you're gonna help me out lots here...

I'm so glad you posted...it's great to have you here!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#104455 - 09/08/04 08:47 AM
Organic Gal

CMCs are computer-mediated communications. Yes, we have many of the same intolerances and allergies (some of mine are true allergies, but many are just intolerances. Doesn't matter too much usually, except the life-threatening ones). No, I can't do spelt either. I have pretty much just given up on the starches in general, and stay away from IBS triggers, but I'm just trying to figure out how to get that soluble fiber. I just finished reading the link to Heather's acacia, and it sounds like a good idea to try. Many of the supplements I've seen list food starch or modified food starch as an ingredient, which can mean corn and or wheat, so I can't take a chance.

I'll try to get in some more carrots, sweet potatoes, and other soluble fiber foods.

Thanks for the welcome (not just you, but everyone!).

OG

--------------------

#104471 - 09/08/04 09:24 AM
Kandee

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions. You're welcome. Yes, I was just reading about the acacia -- think I'll try that. Unless you are allergic to the acacia tree I don't think you'll have a problem. I've tried baking with some of those "other" things, but they really aren't even close to acceptable. Boy, isn't that the truth. It's taken me over a year of experimenting, with lots of failures I might add, to come up with suitable products. One thing I forgot to add is that sorghum flour makes a nice alternative to brown rice flour and the taste is wonderful. Bean flours in particular are weird-tasting. No Kidding!!! The trick it to add very little to other flours to make it acceptable. In fact I've learned the more different kinds of flours you can add together the better tasting the product, but as you know it takes a lot of effort not to mention the added refrigerator space you need to store those flours. I do eat wild rice -- love that stuff! mmmm, me too...I learned that wild rice doesn't spoil...just like honey....I've had some of the authentic stuff harvested by native Indians out of MN for over 10 years now. It's as good now as it was then. You can also grind it to make a flour for baking. So chewy and nutty-tasting. Yes, almond milk is good -- I make Heather's horchata with it almost every day! I just like the taste, and use it too, for all sorts of things.

You guys all seem like a great group. Not to brag, but YES, we really are. You will enjoy it here! I've been watching for a while, to see if I wanted to join. I've visited other online groups (for my rheumatoid arthritis and bone marrow failure disease), and there's always at least one real witch who drives everyone away and starts fights at least hourly. Kindness, consideration and a sense of caring seems to be the rule here, and you won't find many folks that aren't like that. If they are aren't they usually don't stay, or are forced to leave. Nice to see an online support group that really is supportive!!! That's supportive with a capitol "S"....and you'll find it HERE!!!

Thanks again, everyone,

OG BTW, wanna share where in the SW you are? I've lived in one part or another of the SW most of my life. If you're able to, please join us in Oct. for the Las Vegas Fall Spawl.(Heather will be there)..see the Vegas boards and get on our mailing list for the newsletter. We'd love to have you join us!!! Kandee

--------------------

#104599 - 09/08/04 03:53 PM
Organic Gal

I'm in Arizona. Yes, I saw the fall Vegas get-together, and will have to check the dates against work (I teach college). It would be fun!

Absolute favorite way to eat the wild rice (yes, I get the MN kind, too), is cook it well, then toss it with a little bit of olive oil, some fresh basil leaves, and tiny bit of diced tomatoes, and salt and pepper. If I go easy on the oil and tomatoes, it doesn't bother me. Any good wild rice recipes of your own to share?

--------------------

#104658 - 09/08/04 11:23 PM
Kandee

Quote:

I'm in Arizona. Yes, I saw the fall Vegas get-together, and will have to check the dates against work (I teach college). It would be fun!
web page The dates are Oct 15th to the 18th with the main meet to be at the Imperial Palace at 10 AM on Sat. Oct. 16. Sure hope you can make it.

I taught adult Consumer Ed in Phoenix but that was a million years ago in the late 70's.

Absolute favorite way to eat the wild rice (yes, I get the MN kind, too), is cook it well, then toss it with a little bit of olive oil, some fresh basil leaves, and tiny bit of diced tomatoes, and salt and pepper. Sounds yummy this way. I'll have to try it. If I go easy on the oil and tomatoes, it doesn't bother me. Any good wild rice recipes of your own to share? Hmm, nothing special believe me. I'm a lazy cook and a purist...I like it just plain but cooked in a broth..love mushrooms with it, and in vegetable cream soups. As a youngster we only had it for the holidays, with FF turkey gravy over it so I'm still partial to it that way. What I love about it, besides the taste is that a little bit of it cooks up to a whole lot of it.......!!!! Kandee

--------------------

#104718 - 09/09/04 08:17 AM
Living Waters Ranch

Reged: 07/23/04
Loc: Georgia, USA

I wonder why I can eat bread flour but not whole wheat flour? Does anyone have the answer? Staying away from foods that I was allergic to did help. Don't forget to build up your immune system or it may not help.

#104885 - 09/09/04 11:23 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

Quote:

web page The dates are Oct 15th to the 18th with the main meet to be at the Imperial Palace at 10 AM on Sat. Oct. 16. Sure hope you can make it. Yes, we would love to have you join us!! Oh, and welcome by the way!

I taught adult Consumer Ed in Phoenix but that was a million years ago in the late 70's.

Absolute favorite way to eat the wild rice (yes, I get the MN kind, too), is cook it well, then toss it with a little bit of olive oil, some fresh basil leaves, and tiny bit of diced tomatoes, and salt and pepper. Sounds yummy this way. I'll have to try it. If I go easy on the oil and tomatoes, it doesn't bother me. Any good wild rice recipes of your own to share? Hmm, nothing special believe me. I'm a lazy cook and a purist...I like it just plain but cooked in a broth..love mushrooms with it, and in vegetable cream soups. As a youngster we only had it for the holidays, with FF turkey gravy over it so I'm still partial to it that way. What I love about it, besides the taste is that a little bit of it cooks up to a whole lot of it.......!!!! Kandee

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1147 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3918

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review