All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
fiber
      #103159 - 09/01/04 11:25 AM
Cyndi31

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: New Jersey

Hi. I'm new I've only posted once before about fiber. I just bought benefiber chewable tabs. Has anyone tried them? Metamucil and Citricel made a mess of my stomach. I have IBS with D by the way. I just can't believe how much my stomach can control my life. Also has anyone tried taking Immodium on a daily basis? I didn't know if that would work or not. Thanks for any help you can give!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: fiber new
      #103167 - 09/01/04 11:43 AM
Cherry

Loc: Windsor, Ontario

The thing that seems to help my stomach is gaviscon. It might help.

Welcome Cindi new
      #103174 - 09/01/04 11:58 AM
jeenerz

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Northwest Montana

This is a great website for getting help and wonderful listeners as well. I take acacia for my soluable fiber, although my GI told me this week he wants me to switch to fibercon. All I can say is it's a trial and error method. Just like you found out with Meamucil and Citrucel; you won't know how your body reacts to the befiber pills until you give them a try. and yes, you can take Imodium as a preventative. Lots of girls here do. Do a search for Imodium and you'll be able to read the posts. Actually,about 2 weeks ago, I myself started taking one Imodium (I'm a d) every am when I got up and it was the first thing I've done in a year that seemed to actually be working. However, last week I developed a rash after taking it for almost 2 weeks in a row. I'm thinking it's the Imodium and so have stopped it to see. However, if I am, I am truly in the minority as the vast majority of people don't have any problems with it. I'd try it and see.
good luck
Janene

Re: Welcome Cindi new
      #103189 - 09/01/04 12:16 PM
Cyndi31

Thanks for the info. I think this sight is great it's nice to talk to people who understand and are in the same boat as you are. I'll try the benefiber and do the immmodium if I need too. Thanks!!

#103191 - 09/01/04 12:18 PM
Cyndi31

Thanks for the info. I've never heard of gaviscon. Is it in regular stores?

#103195 - 09/01/04 12:21 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, Cyndi and welcome!

I take Imodium frequently as a preventive and I've heard of doctors recommending to take it once a day to help get stable.

And yes, all fibers are different, keep going til you find one that works. Is it possible you started taking too much too fast?

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#103198 - 09/01/04 12:24 PM
Cyndi31

Yes My Dr told me to start at 4 per day and I think I should have gradually worked up to that. I'm going to start the benefiber tomorrow with just 1 in the morning and work up from there. Thanks for the immodium info I was afraid to take it thinking I'd be backed up instead. There's just too much to worry about!! I hate my stomach!!

#103209 - 09/01/04 12:45 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Welcome Cyndi, I can't give you much help with the fiber because I am still trying to figure out which one will work for me, but just keep trying and hopefully you will find one that works for you.

--------------------
Heather7476

I'd totally avoid the Benefiber tablets - they have sorbitol, new
      #103211 - 09/01/04 12:48 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

an artificial sweetener which causes cramps, diarrhea, and gas. Try Benefiber powder or another brand of supplement instead - you want to make sure you get a variety with no artificial sweeteners.

And welcome!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#103225 - 09/01/04 01:20 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

welcome.. I can't do citrucel, but the benefiber powder works fine for me... I take it in tea most of the time, and applesauce or ice "cream" on occcasion too..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1762 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2242

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review