All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How to tell if a meal is a success or failure?
      #10253 - 05/29/03 04:56 PM
shaun g

Reged: 05/25/03
Loc: ontario, canada

being new to the board and to heather's book, and I'm not really long on doctor's advice for IBS i have a question for the people here ...

How long after a meal can you tell if it's safe or not? Should you feel bad right away? or not for 12 hours, or 24 hours or more?

i assume everyone may be a bit different but there has to be some type of pattern..

--------------------
trying to equal the IBS ratio- one man at a time

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How to tell if a meal is a success or failure? new
      #10254 - 05/29/03 05:02 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Hey Shaun,

Im sure everyone is quite different, but with me, if i eat a bad meal, i'll know it by the next meal. For example: I eat a fat filled meal for dinner, the next morning, Im eating breakfast and half way through, I'll be paying for last nights meal!

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#10256 - 05/29/03 05:13 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Shaun - love the photo!!

Well, you'd think there'd be a consistent pattern here, but it really can vary from an immediate reaction (by the time you get to dessert the appetizer is making you so sick you have to bolt to the bathroom) to a 24 hour delay. You will definitely know by the next day, at latest, and often sooner.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#10261 - 05/29/03 06:30 PM
shaun g

Reged: 05/25/03
Loc: ontario, canada

i guess perhaps the best idea is just keep a little journal of my patterns and see what happens when i eat different things. I had a reaction last night, and I'm not sure if was the turkey breast or an intolerance to some Soy Cheese.... this has to be the toughest part.. to really figure out *your* triggers.

--------------------
trying to equal the IBS ratio- one man at a time

#10264 - 05/29/03 07:32 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - If the turkey breast was skinless odds are it was the soy cheese, especially if it has casein in it. Some folks just cannot tolerate any dairy, period, and casein is a dairy protein. There are soy cheeses that are totally dairy free but unfortunately it can be hard to find one that tastes decent.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#10339 - 05/31/03 12:38 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

I brought this up before on the board -- I always find that I have a 18-24 hour delay in symptoms with bad foods, sort of like it has to make its way through the system before hitting the part that's sensitive. I have found in the past when I didn't eat as well that sometimes I'd have a bad feeling right away, but it was hard to tell back them whether it was from what I had just eaten or something from before. But it seems that people react differently from it, so your suggestion of keeping a diary is probably best to find your pattern.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2218 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 700

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review