All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is anyone allergic to acacia?
      #100958 - 08/24/04 11:34 AM
Miss Pepper

Reged: 12/23/03
Loc: Delaware

I'm just wondering if I'm having an allergic reaction to acacia - I just started taking it last week. The past couple of days my face has been really red and today I have a rash on my face (That smiley face is literally what I look like today - LOL). I'm also itchy all over today I even went to the drugstore on my lunch break and bought some Cetaphil cleanser and hydrocortisone cream, and when I got back to the office, I washed my face and put the cream on it. It feels a little better but it's still itchy.

Before starting acacia I used citrucel - I guess I should go back to that tonight and see if I get better

UGHHHH!!! This is so frustrating (this kind of thing happens to me often because I have so many allergies and sensitivities).

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is anyone allergic to acacia? new
      #100960 - 08/24/04 11:49 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

It certainly sounds like a possibility. The best way to figure it out is like you said, go back to the Citrucel.

Acacia is made from the sap from the acacia trees that grow in Africa. It's been used for thousands of years. It's also called gum arabic, which is used in many processed foods as a stabilizer.

It's possible to be allergic to vegetable gums of all types. I have a severe (as in life threatening trip to emergency room) allergy to apples, peaches, and other tree fruits. I developed it as an adult after eating those foods with relish my whole life. My research found out that it was the protein molecule found primiarly in the peel of the fruit that was triggering my allergic reaction. These proteins also are found in the bark and sap of trees. This causes me to have a cross allergy to all tree gums and possibly all vegetable gums, including acacia, guar gum, carrageenan and others.

So it is possible. Rare, but possible. Citracel from what I've read is the safest in terms of allergic reaction. I actually take Metamucil, which gives many people gas, but has never caused me any problems.

Hope this helps!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Thanks Laura Sue! new
      #100984 - 08/24/04 12:43 PM
Miss Pepper

Reged: 12/23/03
Loc: Delaware

Like I said in my post, I do have a lot of allergies (including trees and pollen), so I am definitely going to try going back to the Citrucel for a few days and see how I do. Thanks for replying and telling me about your personal experience. I was just wondering if anyone else had a problem like that with acacia.

By the way - this is completely unrelated - but I was reading a thread the other day and I noticed you made a comment about your age. Looking at your picture, I thought you were a college student! It's wonderful that you look so young I'm 30, and people are always thinking I'm much younger. In fact a couple of weeks ago I got carded buying a rated R movie I was so flattered!! Hopefully I'll look as good as you when I'm 51!

Yep, LauraSue's right - rare, but possible. -nt- new
      #101014 - 08/24/04 02:10 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 825 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 887

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review