Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Best of both bread
      #10050 - 05/27/03 06:03 AM
Ian

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Hi All,

Here in the UK a number of manufacturers produce a "Best of both" bread. It's supposed to be white bread, with no bits, but with the goodness of wholemeal bread. Anyone any thoughts on whether this would be a safe IBS food?

From the Tesco web site, here's the description.
"Hovis Best Of Both 800g
Soft white bread, with all the natural goodness of brown zipped up inside! Unbleached flour with no bits. White bread with added wheatgerm. What is it?
Hovis Best of Both is a totally different type of bread. It has all the delicious taste, texture and look of white bread, but with all the natural goodness of brown bread. This means that Best of Both is a great way of getting some brown bread goodness inside your family. How have we done it? Most of the goodness of the Original Hovis Brown bread is in the wheatgerm, the very heart of the wheat. Hovis has captured this wheatgerm and baked it into a soft white bread, locking in more fibre, vitamins and minerals than normal white breads. Incredibly, Hovis Best of Both contains 4x the wheatgerm goodness of wholemeal breads.
What is wheatgerm? Wheatgerm is the very heart of the wheat and is a good source of Vitamins E, B1 and B6. "

The information given per slice included:
Fat 0.8g, (saturate 0.2g);
Fiber 1.5g.

The white bread I normally eat includes 0.6g of fat and 1.1g of fiber.

Cheers.

Ian

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Best of both bread new
      #10057 - 05/27/03 09:28 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03

Hi Ian,
I've never really thought about it before, but I suppose if you can tolerate it, it would be good as we are meant to be incorporating as much insoluble fibre into the diet as we can handle. It certainly might be better than brown bread. I know Mighty White used to upset me but that actually has the whole grains within the white bread.

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

Edited by britsarah (05/27/03 09:36 AM)

#10100 - 05/27/03 08:53 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

It sounds like they've added the wheat germ back in but left out the wheat bran, which is what gives those little brown flakes to whole wheat bread. The bran is also the source of most of the insoluble fiber. So, I'd guess this bread is pretty safe, certainly more so than regular whole wheat bread.

If you try it, let us know what you think!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Best of both bread-Also would love to hear new
      #10113 - 05/28/03 04:53 AM
Peanut

Reged: 02/09/03
Loc: England

Thanks for posting all that! Hovis always has great soft bread and maybe even I will be able to buy a loaf while on my holiday. I am also looking forward to hearing what you think. Are you going to give it a go?

Sheri

--------------------
So much baking, so little time.....

#10139 - 05/28/03 11:32 AM
Ian

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

At the moment I'm testing myself with some mixed salad that I bought the other day. Assuming that causes no problems I was thinking of trying the bread this weekend. However, I'm going out for a meal one of the days next week so will need to be extra careful for a couple of days prior to that. So, it may not be this weekend, but I will let you know what happens.

Incidentally, the small portion of mixed salad yesterday evening was served with plenty of mushroom savoury rice, tinned red salmon and a slice of bread, with water to drink. Today, I've felt fantastic! No bloating, no pain, no feeling ill before/after a BM and no excessive gas.

Hooray for Heather!

Great to hear about no fun side effects and looking forward to your future bread report in due time -nt- new
      #10156 - 05/28/03 04:37 PM
Peanut

Reged: 02/09/03
Loc: England

--------------------
So much baking, so little time.....

#10615 - 06/03/03 12:24 PM
Ian

Hi,

I tried some of the "Best of Both" bread on Friday lunch-time and Saturday morning. About 5 minutes after my Saturday lunch my abdomen became really bloated and I spent the afternoon suffering from terrible gas. All other foods eaten on Friday and Saturday were tried and tested so it is unlikely that anything else was the cause.

My IBS has always been bloating and gas predominant, but these days that is rarely an issue. (Thank you Heather!) I couldn't tell you exactly when I last felt so ill, but I've kept a detailed diary for the last 2 months and it hasn't happened during that time. although the bloating eased after a few hours, today (Tuesday) is the first time I've really started to feel comfortable again.

Looking at the ingredients for the Best of Both bread, not only does it contain wheatgerm, but it also contains wheat bran! Needless to say that I'm back on the standard white bread and have thrown out the rest of the other loaf.

What really shocked me on Saturday was the reminder of how quickly I've forgotten what my IBS used to be like. In the past a flare up like that could last for days or even weeks. As I'm sure you will all appreciate, it was often not knowing when things would improve that caused me so much despair. Not this time though! On Saturday afternoon I worked out my meal plan of extra safe foods for the next 3 days and knew that by Wednesday everything would be under control again. Heather, I say it again, Thank You , Thank You, Thank You!

Ian

Thanks Ian! -nt- new
      #10617 - 06/03/03 01:01 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3283 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1870

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review