Can You Take a Soluble Fiber Supplement with Medications?
Can You Take a Soluble Fiber Supplement for IBS with Medications? It Depends!
Tip Takeaway: Treat fiber supplements like food. If your medication must be taken on an empty stomach, take it one hour before, or two hours after, your fiber supplement. If your medication can be taken with food, it can typically be taken with fiber. But always ask your pharmacist to be sure!
- Think of soluble fiber supplements for IBS as food.
- If you're using Tummy Fiber, you can take your dose by mixing it right into moist foods.
- Or simply cook with it (lots of recipes!) so it's automatically in your meals.
- Fiber - both soluble and insoluble - occurs naturally in plant foods.
- If you can take a medication with food, you can typically take it with fiber.
- If your medication must be taken on an empty stomach, don't take it with fiber any more than you would take it with food.
- How to know the difference?
It depends on your specific medication. Does food interfere with its absorption? If yes, the bottle and your pharmacist will tell you to take it on an empty stomach.
- Typically these medications are taken one hour before, or two hours after, your fiber and your food.
- Can you take your medication with food? If yes, then food does not interfere with its absorption. Typically you can simply treat your IBS fiber supplement like food, and take it with the medication.
- If foods that contain fiber don't affect medication absorption, a fiber supplement typically won't either.
- But - it's not just about the type of fiber - it's about the type of medication.
- Notice all these "typicallys"...
Always ask your pharmacist if you can take your specific medication with your specific soluble fiber supplement. There are unique interactions that don't fit the general guidelines above.
Heather Van Vorous &
Heather's Tummy Care
Over 15 Years of IBS Business!
Have other IBS questions? Please call us toll free 866-640-4942.
Outside the continental US? Call direct 206-264-8069.
Get more IBS help at HelpForIBS.com!
See all the IBS Quick Tips!
Thank you for your continued support!
The goal of Heather's Tummy Care is to do good in the world - not just for IBS, but for our employees, our customers, our natural world and its magnificent creatures, and both our local and global communities. We contribute to national and international environmental and wildlife protection funds.
Millions of albatross chicks starve
to death on plastic ocean garbage.
Help us end elephant slaughter.
You're on this newsletter list because you have expressed interest in IBS news and information.
Change your newsletter email address here.
If you are viewing this newsletter on a website and would like to subscribe for email delivery, please "Join the IBS Newsletter" here.
ANTI-SPAM PRIVACY & SECURITY POLICY
Heather's Tummy Care
19203 70th Ave S
Kent, WA 98032 USA
© 2018 Heather Van Vorous, Heather's Tummy Care. All rights reserved.
Authored by Heather Van Vorous. May not be reproduced without permission.
USA Copyright Office Registration Number TXU 1-270-858 and others.