All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Help with Smoothies
      #201807 - 08/02/05 01:02 PM
Lucrece

Reged: 04/29/05
Loc: Canada

Ive read that smoothies are great for right after breaking the cycle.
But Ive never made a bloody smoothie before! How exactly do I make a smoothie safe enough for right after that diet, and I would assume, that my colon is still sensitive.
Hmm ..bananas, soy milk. That's all I can come up with. I swear, I need some cooking lessons.

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help with Smoothies new
      #201813 - 08/02/05 01:09 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Here you go....there are lots of safe recipes here Recipe Index under "Drinks"

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#201839 - 08/02/05 02:19 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Smoothies are EASY!!! To make it ultra-safe, combine a high soluable fiber fruit with any other fruits you desire. PEEL EVERYTHING, i.e. peaches, mango, nectarines...whatever. Banana combined with most everything, is considered the safest option.

Re: adding liquid

If you feel like some extra creamy liquid, go for rice, soy, oat or almond milk. Other options include water,ice, or a little juice, or tea. A banana, note, makes a smoothie very creamy already. (Any of the above milks personally make me feel ill so I skip them) You could add soy yogurt, I suppose, as well. Frozen fruit is ideal for smoothies.

I hope that gets you started.

Kate, IBS-D.

#201844 - 08/02/05 02:31 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I make mine like this (based on a recipe in a recent Heather newsletter):

2/3 cup rice milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 banana
about 2/3 cup frozen peaches (peeled)
about 2/3 cup frozen blueberries

The banana are all SF and the peaches pretty much SF, so the only IF is the berries. If you want you can use more peaches and fewer blueberries to start and increase the blueberries gradually as you feel more comfortable with more IF. You can use other berries, too, but I like blueberries the best.

Unless you've got a super-duper blender, blend the rice milk, vanilla, and banana first, then add the frozen fruit a little at a time so the blender can handle it.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#201848 - 08/02/05 02:52 PM
Lucrece

Reged: 04/29/05
Loc: Canada

So, soy milk with banana, and peeled fruits blended together. Sound okay? And that wont be all watery or anything.

-Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C

#201854 - 08/02/05 03:08 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

You can always start with a smaller amount of liquid and add more if the smoothie is too thick.

Enjoy!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#201883 - 08/02/05 05:08 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

And adding acacia (your regular dose) to your smoothie makes it extra smooth and thick!

--AC

#201885 - 08/02/05 05:19 PM
Wind

The soy or rice milk is NOT EVEN NECESSARY. The more water you add, the more watery it will be. Note: fruit is already high in water. Bananas and high sf fruits tend to naturally make a smoothie "thicker." You'd be amazed at how thick just the pureed fruit itself is, especially berries which are so naturally high in pectin. Personally, I just add a splash of cran. juice or some lemon or lime or a little water or ice cubes. (it depends on the content) (Half the time I don't even bother adding a liquid--a few ice cubes are enough, or frozen juice cubes.)

Just remember to peel the fruit!

Kate, IBS-D.

#201886 - 08/02/05 05:20 PM
Wind

Or, do as I do and add liquid LAST, adjusting thickness to your mood. Note: liquids aren't necessary. If I add liquid, it's less than 1/4 c.

Kate, IBS-D.

#201941 - 08/02/05 08:33 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

My advice would be to start with a simple banana smoothie, as someone else mentioned. I just throw in a cut-up banana, enough soy or rice milk to almost cover it, and a tiny bit of sugar and cinnamon and give it a whirl. It comes out perfectly every time.

I would also suggest not freezing the fruit or adding ice as mentioned in some smoothie recipes if you're still breaking the cycle and are somewhat sensative. Really cold things bother some people, including me. I find that foregoing the ice makes smoothies a lot easier for me to tolerate. Enjoy!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 105 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6177

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review