All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Children
      #343717 - 03/26/09 10:32 AM
momof8

Reged: 03/25/09

IBS runs in my husband's family-from his grandmother on down. My husband has had symptoms since the age of 7. Our 6 year old daughter started to complain of persistent stomachaches about 9 months ago-and has been painfully constipated almost since birth. She has recently begun to exhibit other symptoms- "my tummy is moaning and graoning", and gas-and more pain. She has been seen by our pediatrician and has an appointment with a ped. gastroenterologist next month. Our ped. pretty much said, "ignore it, even if she's diagnosed with IBS they won't treat her because she's too young". UGH! Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?? Does anyone have any ideas about how to help my poor "tummy baby"? I am going to order the cookbook, and we're using a tummy tea, which does soothe somewhat. I'm just so frustrated, and I know my daughter is, also. When my husband was this age, they told his mother it was all in his head and that he needed to see a psychologist! I guess not that much has changed in 40 years!! How sad!
Any help or encouragement would definitely be appreciated!
(sorry this is SO long)
Amy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Children new
      #343730 - 03/26/09 03:25 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

your poor baby! I think I was born with it also. Get the book both books and do alot of reading on here and searching for info and recipes. In the reicpe index is a recipe for chicken nuggets and fries that my daughter loves and shes 4! Try a heat pad on her stomach when it hurts it does wonders for me. Stay away from hfcs my daughter is 4 and doesn't have ibs but this makes her constipated. It makes my ibs worse so I avoid anything with this in it.I hope I have help some don't be afaid to ask questions.
Emmasmom
ibs-c gas

#343737 - 03/26/09 04:07 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

My daughter is 6 and has had a real problem with constipation and very large stools since birth.I don't think it's IBS and our pharmacist told us to give her prune juice everyday.Just an ounce.It really does seem to help and I also limit her cheese intake(which is really hard cause she LOVES it)

We are going to see a Pediatrician next month and I plan to ask about it.

Read the books and have her follow the EFI diet.It's not really that hard and she may really find relief.DO NOT ignore this and go see another doctor.Gawd they make me SO MAD!!!

Sending you good wishes and hoping your daughter finds some relief soon.
Chris.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#343885 - 03/31/09 10:50 AM
momof8

Thank you for your reply! I'm glad you've got a handle on your IBS! I will definitely try the heating pad....hadn't thought of that one! I got my starter kit yesterday and have been reading every spare moment. It is all matching up. I will also give the chicken nuggets a try--we're having a hard time figuring out things that are "kid foods".
Take care!
Amy

#343889 - 03/31/09 12:44 PM
momof8

Where is the recipe for the chicken nuggets and fries? I'm looking in the "Eating for IBS" book, but I don't see it.

#343892 - 03/31/09 01:20 PM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

it's on the website under the recipe exchange index. I think this is the web page

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#343895 - 03/31/09 01:28 PM
emmasmom

If you type the word child in the search index and put ibs recipe exchange theres a ton of recipes that pop up. I make a chicken ball soup thats really good and my daughter loves it. If you can't find it let me know. I found this while searching I didn't know how to link it.So i just copy and I paste it here..
Here you go..... hth emmasmom ibs-c gas
You can get to some of the recipes from the Eating For IBS Cookbook here. The Brown Sugar Banana Bread is pretty simple and low fat and I imagine your son would like that for breakfast. And the Honey-Glazed Snack Mix is simple and yummy - just be sure to stir a lot while it cooks and while it cools.

Beyond that, I'd cruise through the Recipe Index and see what looks good. Since your son has IBS-D, I'd be very cautious about fat at least until he gets stable.

I like HanSolo's Chicken Nuggets and you can serve them with Oven Fries - I make these with garlic salt instead of the fresh garlic. You could also try MCV's Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes - you can serve that with Shell's Honey Chicken.

For snacks, applesauce (I eat the Mott's Natural), bananas, and any of the zillions of sweets in the Recipe Index. Anti-Depressant Brownies are a classic favorite and lately I've been addicted to the Pudding Brownies from the Newsletter Archives.
If your son likes spaghetti, there are spaghetti sauce recipes in the index, too

Re: Children - Attn:Emmasmom new
      #343905 - 03/31/09 05:27 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

I nominate you as the official IBS chef!
You are so kind to search for recipes and share with everyone.... Thank you!
Blessings! Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Re: Children - Attn:Emmasmom new
      #343936 - 04/01/09 04:40 PM
emmasmom

Ahh thank you dorothy that made my day! Let me say I love reading your post that you leave they always make me smile or laugh. I like helping people. Thank you agin for your kind words. Blessings to you!
hugs xx
emmasmom (Sheila)
ibs-c gas

2 things new
      #344465 - 04/14/09 10:25 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

a) see a GI AND AN ALLERGIST IF YOU CAN GET A REFERRAL... even if you don't do an ellimination diet with her...

b) they may avoid perscription meds, but you can still get her treatment at this age.. the perscription meds can be an issue for dosages in children.

take advantage of this site and if you can get one, of a refferal to a clinical dietitian. good luck!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 271 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3375

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review