All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
The Best excersise for IBS?
      #255624 - 03/31/06 06:08 PM
jend

Reged: 03/26/06
Loc: Smoky Mts.

I've had IBS, mainly Small intestine issues, for about 8 months now. I just GB surg. on 3-14 and am trying to get my digestive system stableized so I can get on with living! I'm gonna try to walk on my treadmill as soon as I can stop cramping constantly and eat more than one meal a day of soft SF. I was wondering if anyone has had an excersise that has worked well for them? Swimming or Tai Chi? I have a heart condition so the cardio is out. Please let me know, thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: The Best excersise for IBS? new
      #255647 - 03/31/06 07:02 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Kripalu is a very gentle yoga that works well. And for anyone that is interested, it helps reduce those pesky menstrual cramps. I think yoga in general does that, though.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#255684 - 04/01/06 04:02 AM
jend

Reged: 03/26/06
Loc: Smoky Mts.

My problem is that I live in a little town in TN. Not many yoga studios. I think that I would probably kill myself if I tried to do it off of a DVD or book. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

#255721 - 04/01/06 10:38 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Hi Jen

Yoga is an exercise that really helps ease the symptoms of IBS- Heather has some good info here

But all exercise is good to get your digestive system working, especially if you are C. Walking, swimming, everything is beneficial.

--------------------
S.

#255758 - 04/01/06 07:40 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I have a video I follow when I'm in the mood for yoga. It's actually very easy movements and the instructor asks that you watch it all the way through before you try it so you already know what's happening.

I agree that walking is a very good exercise for IBS. It doesn't have to be fast. Just a comfy stroll is good so long as your body is moving.

Tai Chi is also very good. But I thought that the movements were more strenuous than Kripalu. Just my opinion - everyone is different.

Swimming is good. I like to get a kickboard (when the weather is warm, of course) and float along and kick very gently. Just enough to move myself forward. It's like combining hydrotherapy and exercise into one.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 119 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2679

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review