All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Mags--You're my buddy, please help!
      #44712 - 02/12/04 06:18 PM
Scully30

Reged: 02/01/04
Loc: Overland Park, KS

I put the above icon in because that is how my intestines look right now!! I am on my second day of C--the one time I was able to go, it was about as tiny as a few of my rabbit's poops! I am full of gas, too. I am drinking lots of strong fennel tea, but I don't know what else to do. Today I had a meal replacement bar for breakfast, chicken and rice soup with fat free saltines and soy yogurt for lunch, a glass of fat free soy milk and some fat free saltines for a snack, and tonight I had a veggie sandwich on white with very little lettuce, only tomato, olive, pickles, and mustard, a small bag of Baked Lays, and 1/2 c. sliced mango. What else can I do??? You are the best.

Jen.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Mags--You're my buddy, please help! new
      #44715 - 02/12/04 06:26 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Okay, so I'm not Mags, and I'm D predominant, and so I'm only sympathetic when it comes to constipation, but I hope you don't mind my jumping in.
There's some great yoga poses that really helps ease the gas. There's one where you lie on your back and bring one knee up to your chest and hold. Whoo-ee. Clear the room! Here's a link for some other yoga poses: web page
Another suggestion - peppermint tea. It can really help relax the colon and the constipation. Also, it helps relieve pain.
Are you taking a fiber supplement? Might be a good idea.
Lots of water, walking also help.

What's in the meal replacement bar? There are often wacky additives, and dairy in those. I would be hesitant myself to eat one. Try some oatmeal or toast for breakfast instead.

Also, try adding more veggies in. Cooked and mashed sweet potatoes, squash, carrots, are all good ones to start with. Try incorporating more cooked ones in your diet.
Hope this helps!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Good ideas....:) new
      #44722 - 02/12/04 06:47 PM
Scully30

I know what you mean about those yoga poses! I do yoga almost daily and most of the time it's "clear the room! WHOO!" AWFUL! (ha ha ha) I know......but this C is miserable, and it makes me irritable.

Have you tried Heather's Acacia Fiber?? Do you think that will help? I didn't include veggies today, but I did yesterday and the day before, cooked squash, zucchini, tomatoes, and roasted, peeled red peppers. I also bought frozen green beans to cook, and every night except tonight I have had a small spinach salad to end my meal. Maybe today was an exception?? Who knows.

Jen

Re: Good ideas....:) new
      #44744 - 02/13/04 03:48 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hey Jen!

Hans pretty much covered everything. You seem like you're getting your insoluble in which is good, because being C you especially need to make sure you get that.

I think the acacia would be great. Have you tried any of the fiber supplements yet? The acacia is great because you can mix it in your drink and you don't even taste it and it doesn't gel up. Unfortunately, it didn't work as well for me as Citrucel does, so I went back to Citrucel. BUT, acacia made me feel much better than if I'd had nothing. I say go for it!

The only thing I would add is to make sure you're getting TONS of water. And excercise.

You may also want to think about trying a magnesium supplement and/or probiotics. Magnesium helps with C (I use calcium, because I'm D). Try doing a search for the mag if you want more info - there's been tons of posts about it. I don't know the exact amount you need being a D-er.

On Day 3 of C.....:( :( new
      #44784 - 02/13/04 08:58 AM
Scully30

I am drinking LOTS of peppermint tea, and the fennel helped me feel better last night with the gas, but I am just frustrated. I will look up the magnesium and probiotics....and I ordered the Acacia last night online.
Oh, don't worry about the water....even before I was diagnosed, I was drinking almost 2 liters a day (thanks to the water machine we have at work!) and I've been an avid exerciser for YEARS....now I do ashtanga power yoga 4 days a week, and attend my husband's Jazzercise class on Fridays. I just wish the jostling aerobics would get things moving!

Jen

Re: On Day 3 of C.....:( :( new
      #44852 - 02/13/04 12:02 PM
cymoon

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Texas, Houston

Sorry you feel so bad!
I am IBS-VERY-C. I use the Acacia 3x a day and use Metamucil at night. As long as I don't over do it with the dose of Metamucil I always go the next morning and do not have gas and bloating from it (I take 1 1/2- 1 3/4 tablespoons). I have to take more than the recommended dose but it helps me go every morning. This combo of fiber supplements work to keep me regular. The Metaucil kept me regular without the Acacia but the Acacia has still made a big difference. The Metamucil helps me go each morning and now with the Acacia the bms are easy and normal.

--------------------
"I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work." Thomas Edison (1847-1931)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1762 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 785

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review