All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Helping my hubby
      #363313 - 02/03/11 08:26 PM
Amyece

Reged: 02/03/11

DH has had stomach problems most of his life. He turns 35 this month. He had his gallbladder removed about 10 years ago. He was also diagnosed with IBS.
He has not followed a healthy diet at all and I think its catching up with him. He only drinks Mountain Dew, he smokes, he typically only eats dinner. He loves fried, fast foods, red meat.

All of this probably explains why he has been in agony with his stomach the last few months. He even went to the ER> They ran test, etc.... Dind't find anything. So we are thikning its the IBS flaring up.
He says he is willing to do better.. He is weaning off the Mt Dew and cigs. He says he wants me to figure out the meal plan though.

Fast food and fried fooods seem to be his biggest triggers. Milk doesnt seem to bother him. Like a bowl of cereal or a turkey sandwich with cheese.

I feel like I don't know where to start. He likes very plain foods.. Nothing fancy...

I have the first year book on request at the library.

Any tips? Can anyone show me what a very basic day of food may look like?
I am going to suggest to him that he try the suggested few days of only those certain foods.

Thank you!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Helping my hubby new
      #363319 - 02/04/11 09:34 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

You could start reading how to manage his diet here. It will give you lots of hints and guidance. Also, check the recipe exchange and check the information link in my signature.

Is your husband IBS-D (diarrhea predominant), IBS-C (constipation predominant) or IBS-A (alternating between the two)?

Hopefully, he will stop drinking coffee and mountain dew. The caffeine and high fructose corn syrup are known IBS triggers.

Ask lots of questions. There are many people on this board that can give you some guidance.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#363323 - 02/04/11 12:00 PM
Amyece

Reged: 02/03/11

Thank you I spent a lot of time last night reading the info here. I am so glad I found this site.
Oh and he has the diarrhea type of IBS>

#363327 - 02/04/11 02:13 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Start off slow and plain at first. Try the crockpot chicken stew thats great or maybe a turkey buger and some home made fries. Start slow on the "if" to find out what bothers him the most and just read read and read some more trust me it'll pay off if you need any help just ask. hth
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 190 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1696

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review