All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
steroids put my digestion at a standstill
      #322928 - 01/22/08 10:42 AM
Carolynjoy1228

Reged: 04/12/07

Help! My doctor put me on a steroid course for a terrible migraine that wouldn't go away (I'm allergic to migraine meds and most pain-killers, so this was experimental.) I took the steroids for a day and a half, totalling 9 pills. I discontinued when my severe nausea turned to vomiting. But after discontinuing, I discovered that I'm not digesting anything. It's been 5 days. I have terrible cramps. Sometimes, I feel the need to go to the bathroom, but the most that comes out is a large marble. And there is quite a bit of urgency associated with this pathetic bm.

How can I get back on track? I took Miralax last night and this morning but nothing yet. I feel like everything is so hard inside of me, I've requested abdominal massage from my boyfriend, even though it's painful, to try to soften it up. I've used my heating pad and I'm walking around frequently.

Thanks for any help.

Carolyn

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: steroids put my digestion at a standstill new
      #322935 - 01/22/08 11:27 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Ugh, so sorry to hear how the steroids affected you! And migraines suck! I just saw a neurologist the other day about some recent migraines. She prescribed Midrin, but there's currently a shortage of that med. Anyway, I'm sorry you're having to deal with the migraines and what sounds like really bad constipation.

Have you tried the yoga poses for constipation? Yoga Poses for IBS. There are also some for gas/bloating, and they really do seem to help.

I also recommend hot peppermint or ginger tea. Peppermint will help with the cramping, and the ginger tea should help with the nausea. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water. If you've been vomiting you could be dehydrated and this could also be making your constipation worse.

Re: steroids put my digestion at a standstill new
      #322962 - 01/22/08 04:02 PM
MelanieR

Reged: 02/15/07
Loc: Florida

Steriods are serious and you shouldn't stop them unexpectadly. You have to be weaned off them. You could make yourself very ill stopping them without a gradual decline.

--------------------
Crohns, lactose intolerant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 408 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 686

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review