All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help!!!
      #244548 - 02/06/06 07:38 PM
lilheatha

Reged: 02/05/06

Hello everyone..I just started posting on here yesterday but when I saw everyone had responded I was so happy.
Tonight I am very, very sick. Sicker then I have been in a long time since my IBS started. I need to vent to people that understand..
So here goes..I haven't gone to the bathroom in 8 days, 9 tomorrow. My stomach is so so huge that I can't fit in any of my clothes..even my jogging pants are tight around my waist. I feel like I want to throw up or just pop or something..anything. I've drank so much tea and water that the thought of more makes me sick. I keep thinking about food constantly hoping if I eat more I'll have a BM.
And I did something tonight I've never, ever done and it makes me feel so horrible. I binged on anything and everything that I wanted to eat. I feel like a huge, fat cow. I never eat the foods that I ate and the weird thing is..as bloated as my gut is its not full. I don't know if I'm full or hungry. I can't tell. I'll probably gain like 5lbs just from today I swear.
I can't do this another day..
Thanks for listening. I needed to write that all down.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help!!! new
      #244550 - 02/06/06 07:51 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Are you eating any insoluble fibre?

#244553 - 02/06/06 08:09 PM
lilheatha

Yes I do..I usually have a small salad for supper (with my sweet potato or rice) and fruit. Try to eat as many raw veggies and fruits as I can tolerate but when I am really bloated and C its hard to eat at all sometimes u know?

#244568 - 02/06/06 09:27 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there,

I am IBS-D, not C so my advice won't be quite as in depth as some of the other folks on here who deal with C on a daily basis.
I just wanted to ask, are you taking a fiber supplement at the moment? As well as making sure you are getting lots of fluids, it is also important to make sure you are getting enough fiber. I know you said you are eating salads and fruits, but that it is difficult with the bloating so perhaps diet is not enough at the moment?

I feel so badly for you, I can't imagine 9 days of not going to the bathroom. As a D, I am glad to not go to the potty several times in the day but 9 days with no BM seems very cruel!
Are you getting exercise in? It will help get your bowels moving, as well as helping with the bloating as discomfort as well.
What about the yoga poses that can help with digestion and get things moving?
I have only been severely C a couple of times, and I went one day shy of a week without a BM one time and I tried the circular stomach massage (I had bf do it for me, but I'd guess you could do it to yourself as well) to try and get things moving in there too.

Anyway, I hope that you get some relief soon and let us know how you are doing!

Cheers,
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#244576 - 02/07/06 12:41 AM
boo75

Reged: 10/29/05
Loc: Butte Montana

lilheather, Last summer I went a week without a bowel movement. I tried an enema and laxatives, didn't help. I was told the minute I started throwing up to get to the ER. I went, was in bad shape, spent a week in the hospital. Do you have a Dr? Have you had tests? I have a bottle of Magnesium Citrate on hand to take if that happens again. I guess that will really blast it out. But I'm scared for you. Hope you get better or get help tomorrow. xo

--------------------
(cool)

#244588 - 02/07/06 06:13 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I think not having a BM for 8-9 days is pretty serious and I would see a doctor promptly - like now. You don't say where you are, but in many good sized cities and towns in the US there is at least one walk-in clinic that will see you right away if your regular doctor can't make time for you today. I generally regard stimulant laxatives as a really bad idea for anyone, but in your case it might be warranted.

You have a new reply to your original post from Maria, which I think is dead on regarding your possible dependence on senna. You should probably take a look at that before you see your doctor so you can discuss your senna use with him or her.

Once you get back from seeing your doctor, you might want to take a look at two of Heather's newletters from Summer of 2005. She talks about the 5 Constipation Frustrations. I'd read through them all, but one that seems particularly appropriate for you right now is her discussion of how if you've become reliant on a laxative you might have to continue taking it until you get some time on the diet and get your SFS up to a significant level.

Beyond that, I'd recommend you get a copy of Heather's book "The First Year" and make sure you understand the theory behind Heather's approach and how the diet works. Heather's theories about colonic spasms are pretty specific and will help you understand why stimulants (like laxatives) and irritants/triggers (like coffee) can make the problem better in the short run, but worse in the long run.

You should also be aware that being on Heather's diet does not require you to give up your usual diet of lean meat, fresh fruits, and vegetables. You will need to lay down a good soluble fiber base, but your diet cannot be only soluble fiber. The meat will be white poultry or seafood. As for the fruits and vegetables, they may have to be chopped and cooked, but it's very important that you continue to eat them. In fact, for a C, it's crucial.

I hope some of this helps in the long run. For right now, go call your doctor. Let us know how it goes.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Try different things new
      #244655 - 02/07/06 09:14 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hi lilheatha, I totally understand your frustration. I'm normally a D BUT I went 16 days recently without a BM and felt exactly as you feel. I was even getting that pukey feeling whenever I ate anything at the end... the food had nowhere to go, and it felt like it was trying to climb back up my esophagus. Not fun!

It's only happened to me 2ce in my life that I felt I couldn't go, and the time before it was exactly for the same reason, that I'd lost track of the meds I was taking and had made myself too "C."

The only thing that helped for me was fasting. I fasted for 3 days and the 3rd day I went and kept going naturally until in about a week I was back to normal.

A lot of people take a SFS, a Soluble Fiber Supplement, like Citrucel. For me these give me a lot of pain and sweats-- all over for days. Now that I know I can fast and go, it's my preferred method because it doesn't make me feel awful. It's worked both the 2 times.

Good luck, and hopefully by the time you've read my little note you'll have gone (fingers crossed).

~nelly~

Re: Try different things new
      #244768 - 02/07/06 12:34 PM
lilheatha

I've never fasted before..is it hard to do? Can you juice things or did you just not have anything but water?
I guess it wouldnt be too bad when you're C because you're so full as it is..
And yes I did go. I went to the clinic and they gave me a supp. Dr's really don't know anything about IBS..I felt like crying when I tried to explain because I could tell he had no clue what to do. He told me to eat more fibre (i said that makes it worse) and exercise. I do exercise. Almost to the point of fanatically when I get C.
Do u ever get really C for no reason?

#244771 - 02/07/06 12:38 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I know most doctors can't help with IBS, but if the suppository helps with your immediate problem, then hopefully Heather's diet can help in the long run.

As for fasting, please take a look at the old newsletters I referenced in my other post to you before you give that a try.

Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#245044 - 02/08/06 12:32 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Yes usually they say those 3 things: water, fiber, exercise are the things you need to get you to go. If you're chronically C tho, advice for normal people is not what you want to hear!!

I've been horrendously C 2 times in my life, and they were memorable. Especially memorable, as I'm used to having a complete evacuation whenever I go due to the chronic D. To beat it, I fasted with liquids, drinking chamomille tea with sugar and warm water for the days I did not eat. But this is because I have bad reactions to laxatives-- If you can take laxatives I'd def go that route. It's quicker and you can get them from your doctor like you did this time.

I'm so glad you were able to go!

~nelly~

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6133 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1248

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review