Reged: 09/01/05
Loc: Maryland

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My Best Friends Dad..... new
      #229908 - 12/07/05 12:47 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

Has Ulcerative Colitis and he's been on imodium every single day of his life for the past 30 years to control the colitis. His doctor prescribed it to him so he can get it free through his insurance.

Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

imodium is GREAT new
      #229958 - 12/07/05 03:41 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hey D--

I've been on imodium for the last 10 years with no ill effects. Currently, I take 240 2mg loperimide tablets/month and I supplement them with simethicone (available together if you take Imodium Advanced).

I'd be home bound with tragic, painful explosive D if I didn't have this wonderful medication. I'm not a C, never been, so anything I find that constipates me is wonderful. I'm being treated with imodium, donnatal, tylenol-3, and hyocycamine spray for my attacks.

For the imodium (loperimide 2mg), I take 2 when I get up, 1 before meals and 2 before bed for nighttime attacks (8 a day goes pretty fast ). If I have an attack, I'll take 2 or 3 to stop it in its tracks. It works AWESOMELY as a preventative, which means I don't have to wait after lunch when I have a meeting at work to have an attack before I take them.

~nelly~ (IBS-D, pain pre-dominant)

Hey Nelly! new
      #229984 - 12/07/05 06:01 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Isn't simethecone awesome! So is Beano!

Lifesavers, along with the Immodium Advanced. I find that 2-3/day is doing the job, lately. Still not at the formed stool stage, but past the fear of farting. Yes, I'll get there...probably by next week.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Awesome, Kate! new
      #229986 - 12/07/05 06:02 PM
anlikerm

So glad you're getting there!! I took 3 yesterday and today I have hardly went at all.....I'm all bloated up like a blimp!!!

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Nelly & Wind new
      #230161 - 12/08/05 12:40 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

My IBS has dramatically changed since I started taking Immdium and Simethicone on a daily basis. I cannot say enough good things about it. I am not completely stable but I am waaaay better than I was. I am an A so I have to be careful with the Immoduim so I don't get really C. Sometimes I do overdo it with the Immodium when I am travelling or have important functions because I would rather be C then have an accident. I talked to my gastro about it and he said I could take them forever if it made me feel like I could leave my house. So in his opinion there are no long term effects of daily use of simethicone or immdoduim.
Happy popping ladies!! (lol and I meant the pills)
Take Care
Beth

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

wish I could take it, but........ new
      #230163 - 12/08/05 12:53 PM
meep

Reged: 06/06/05
Loc: Texas

Even if I take a 1/4 pill, I get C and within two or three days, I'll have a HUGE attack with C/D/V....HORRIBLE!!! It's frustrating. I'm stuck between the worst of all three worlds!

I used to be able to take it when I had an attack, but not for the last year or so. It just makes for a worse attack a few days later.

Betharoo! new
      #230194 - 12/08/05 02:39 PM
Wind

My life, too, IS improved with Immodium Advanced and Simethecone. Truly, less cramping, and finally (as of this morning) solid/formed bm's. Also, the bloating from my really bad D spell is nearly gone. I agree, I'd rather be a tad C than D all the time. (Okay, C for me is defined by less than 2 daily features!) I don't get HUGE air tunnels in my gut when I take the simethecone. The best part is NO gas pressure. (I think I'm just gassy by nature!)

I was stupid to stop replacing my Immodium stash. Like I said in a previous post, I'm not afraid of sneezing too hard or laugh attacks, or farting! Trapped gas, is the worst. It's a part of me being stable.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: GOTTA HATE TRAPPED GAS!! LOL!! ~nt~ new
      #230196 - 12/08/05 02:41 PM
anlikerm

--------------------
Unstable

Re: Here's a great yoga pose that works like a "windy" charm new
      #230213 - 12/08/05 03:37 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

web page See the bottom one - the wind relieving one. Ahhhhhh.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Kate (m) new
      #230233 - 12/08/05 04:22 PM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

You totally cracked me up with your definition of "C"...2 daily features! That would be me! I consider C the same thing. I went about 6 times today b/c I was at work and I'm stressed there. I made the mistake of not taking immodium soon enough. Have you ever taken Immodium and before it started to work, you had stuff trapped in there and it still had to come out even after the Immodium?

Would taking it the night before help the attacks in the morning? I simply hate going so many times at work!

Sandy

Re: Kate (m) new
      #230241 - 12/08/05 05:01 PM
Wind

I'm not sure about taking it the night before, in anticipation of a poop-a-thon. I usually wait until the a.m.

I totally completely understand. When I was in University, prior to diagnosis, I was exiting to use the toilet at least twice per class. I recall, when I was a barista, I lived with neverending D, but then I was drinking exclusively coffee or beverages with high fructose corn syrup that are known for explosive resposes (okay, Coke or diet Coke!) and fruit juice on an empty stomach.

I suppose you could do an experiment or take a poll. I generally wait until the a.m., though.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Help from anyone new
      #230244 - 12/08/05 05:16 PM
munchlma

Reged: 12/08/05

This is my first time on this site. I am hoping someone can help me. I have an 8 year old who has been suffering from right sided abdominal pain since October. She has undergone MRI, x-rays and colonoscopy. The Dr "thinks" it is IBS however from what I read I am not sure. She has a constant pain, complains of a burning sensation in her stomach and cries all the time. She is unable to bend down and tie her shoes. Does this sound like IBS. The doctors seem to be pushing us aside but i have a child in daily pain. Only till I pushed the doctor that I thought it was odd that she could not tie her shoes did she say you may want a second opinion. Any input would be appreciated

#230274 - 12/08/05 07:28 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi and welcome.

I'm so sorry to hear that your daughter is suffering so I'm afraid I don't have too much advice for you but I'd really recommend reposting this as a separate post with a descriptive subject line (just click "post" at the top of the page when you're looking at the list of all posts). That way more people will see it.

From what you've described it very well could be IBS but she *needs* to get all the necessary tests to rule out anything else. Also check out Heather's 'IBS: The First Year' (most chapters available on this site by clicking 'IBS Books' to the left). There are a few sections in there about children and IBS, including, if I remember correctly, some info about diagnosis. Also be sure to do a search - there have definitely be some discussions before about children with IBS that might be helpful to you.

But yes, do try reposting this as a separate post. I hope you get the advice you're looking for!

I too love immodium! ... new
      #230275 - 12/08/05 07:34 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I don't tend to need it everyday anymore, but I take it a few times a week at least. It's a lifesaver, especially when I *need* to leave the house like to get to class (or an exam! ) or something. It just makes the whole D experience so much easier to deal with. I sometimes get a bit C but nothing painful and honestly the break is kind of nice

I've never had success with gas-x or any kind of product like that for bloating/cramping though, so I just by regular immodium, not AD (so much cheaper too ).

I almost always take it after the fact - most of my D occurs in the mornings when I'm at home anyway and don't mind just dealing with it. But I do take it preventatively as well, i.e. before getting in a car for a long road trip or any other time when I can't/don't want to have to use a bathroom urgently!

I did try taking it when I got up first thing but it didn't always work and then I'd just have to take more after and then I'd end up taking so much and getting so C... I also tried taking it the night before as someone mentioned - that definitely DIDN'T do anything.

(Haha... I buy so much immodium that a while back my drugstore sent me a coupon for it, along with a pamphlet about IBS - how to know if you have it - lol!!!)

Re: Kate (m) new
      #230280 - 12/08/05 08:18 PM
Betharoo

oh yes university was not a fun time for me but somehow I made it through and drank on top of it all. Now I am back in college and the anxiety, pain and trips to bathroom have been minimal. The diet and maturity and many other things are factors now but I am so relieved that I have been okay healthwise. I am not 100% but hey if I am any better than I have been for the past few years I am grateful.
Gas pains, trapped gas, oh my it hurts just thinking about it. That is THE worst thing I have ever experienced. Before I discovered Simethicone the pain was unbearable.
Like you Kate, I think I was born gassy. When I wake up in the morning I woosh an embarrassingly large amount of air from my body. I still have not figured out the cause if there is one. I always thought it was dairy but now that I don't have any and still hae the same problem I am baffled. Oh well as long as I am baffled and muffled at the same time I guess I will survive.
If anyone ever needs a foghorn for their boat, I am your woman!

--------------------
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

LOL yoga pose!! new
      #230281 - 12/08/05 08:20 PM
Betharoo

oh my, I find it funny that in the picture they are wearing pants because if I lifted my leg like that to relieve gas I would prob blow them right off!

--------------------
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Re: I love Imodium ... now new
      #230288 - 12/08/05 08:57 PM
karenleslie

Reged: 11/13/05
Loc: San Francisco, CA

Before I knew I had IBS I took Imodium for stressful ocassions, (Which pretty much meant anytime I went more than 3 miles away from home. ) but with terrible consequences. Even taking 2 pills would C me for up to 5-6 days, and some times I would have to take 6 or more to get any relief from an attack. I eventually tried to never take it EVER if I could help it because it made me so terribly C and miserable. Which meant I missed out on a lot.

BUT

the good news is that since I started Heather's diet, taking Imodium has been much less hard on me. I am only C for maybe 1-2 days and to tell the truth I don't really notice because I am much less uncomfortable. Imodium has been a real liberator, especially lately because I have been under HUGE amounts of unfortunately necessary stress.

--------------------
Karen

IBS-A

#230312 - 12/09/05 05:23 AM
munchlma

Reged: 12/08/05

Thanks for your help. I am just so desperate to help her and don't know what to do!

Re:Sandy - taking Imodium night before new
      #230352 - 12/09/05 08:54 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I've done this, used Imodium as a preventive by taking it the evening or night before I had to travel or go to work. When I was at my worst, I knew I would always have a morning attack and my doctor said it was fine to use as a preventive. Sometimes waiting until morning would be too late and once I got started going I couldn't stop - even after taking the Imodium (it usually takes an hour or longer for it to kick in for me, I don't know about the others). HTH!

Thanks! (m) new
      #230375 - 12/09/05 10:52 AM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

That's what happens to me. It takes awhile for my system to move in the morning, and it ALWAYS happens when I get to work. If it moved once, it would be OK, but it keeps moving! So by the time I take something, like you, it's too late. It's already in motion! I'll try that the night before. I'd rather be a little C for a day than be going a ton at work.

Sandy

Re: Thanks! (m) new
      #230481 - 12/09/05 09:28 PM
Terri4301

Reged: 06/03/05

I definitely take immodium the night before, and often also immediately after I awake. This definitely helps on days when you have to do something and can't afford to have an attack. Unfortunately, it does constipate me but having lived with daily D for a long time...it's somewhat of a relief to not miss out on something important because of ibs. I'm still learning how to balance the sf,if, and immodium. I definitely feel more in control than I used to!
Hope this info helps...
Terri

Wind! new
      #230621 - 12/10/05 02:50 PM
Nelly

Rock on, Kate! I just drove 3 hours to the beach (did she say the BEACH? ) to visit my friend, and I took an extra imodium before I left. 150 miles later, no problems!!

I think we should all buy stock in imodium as part of our retirement plan...

~nelly~

Nelly, I'm going out for Chinese, tonight-- new
      #230625 - 12/10/05 03:05 PM
Wind

...and you'd better believe I've had Immodium, today! (Simethecone, too)

What is it about long car rides, huh?

Hope you're having a blast.

Greetings from the beach! new
      #230650 - 12/10/05 05:20 PM
Nelly

I'm having a great time! At dinner Andy wrote out his phone number and made me give it to our waitress-- I pretended like I was going to give it to the hairy manager guy instead. It was a riot.

It's like 28 degrees out, but otherwise the sun was shining today and I had a nice peaceful car ride up with no belly problems, YEA! Got a chance to spend some time by myself, clear my mind, etc.

~nelly~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 238 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4845

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review