Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
1st time here!
      #220322 - 10/19/05 02:48 PM
Gold

Reged: 10/19/05
Loc: London

Hi
This is my 1st time on this site having trawled through hundreds of others trying to find useful information and advice about curing IBS. Through the research it seems that for the past 10 years or so i have been living on all the things that have been making me feel awful (me thinking that I am eating healthly and not understanding why im not losing weight etc!) e.g brown bread, muesli, wheat pasta etc. As a result my stomach is so constantly bloated and painful that i just got used to it AND i have put on weight and just have not been able to shift it (aarggh!)I have purchased countless EBooks etc to but they are all so complicated and never give u a straightforward diet plan and just tell you you have to eat foods that are low or high in glycocemic what ever they are (like I know what that means!)What im really hoping is that other people here have been at theis same begining stage of curing their IBS as I just dont know where to start and would really appreciate it if anyone has the time to email me any food plans etc, basic shopping lists (u know the kind of thing) that hepled then get started, as Im bound to just ended up reading thousands of things and still end up eating the wrong things if i go the D.I.Y way again!
Thank you so much for your help, my email address is GOLDKT10@GOOGLEMAIL.COM
xx

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: 1st time here! new
      #220417 - 10/19/05 11:53 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I really suggest buying the (actual, not E ) book. It's very easy to understand (far more so than a website IMHO), and having it means you can refer back to it, go through it with highlighters and post-it notes marking bits you want to remember AND you can take it food shopping!

In the meantime, try reading the diet guidelines on here. I'm NOT going to tell you exactly want to buy and eat b/c this is more about HOW to eat and what not to eat than exact foods you have to eat.

Oh...and Heather's Cheat Sheet is great for reminding yourself!

HTH. Good luck.

#220444 - 10/20/05 07:51 AM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I can really identify with your comments. For years I knew I had IBS and I knew it was what I was eating. But just like you I went on eating (healthy) foods that were just about killing me! The very first thing I did was read every bit of this website home pages while I waited for Heather's books to arrive. If you take time to digest all the info available from Heather, not just these boards, you will get a really good idea what is making you so sick IF you have IBS. I say if because I don't know if you've been diagnosed with IBS by a doc. I still drag out my copy of the "cheat sheet" when I have a brain fart(oops, excuse me )a little old age memory loss creeps in sometimes!
I'm telling you that learning to read labels is so worth it when your symptoms begin to disappear. But staying on the diet is really the only way I avoid having GI problems. Good luck and I hope you get all the help you need...

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#220467 - 10/20/05 09:09 AM
Gold

Reged: 10/19/05
Loc: London

Thanks so much for your reply, one thing id love to know is when you say learning to read the labels does Heathers book tell you how to do this what to look for etc? Also I really want to be able to lose some weight doing this to and from looking through all the hundreds of recipes on here was unsure as to whether they were all diet friendly(as in good if you are trying to lose weight!??)Im not a big cook and am at work every hour of my life (it seems!!) so would love to know what I can buy out of a packet so to speak that is good 4 me!
Thanks x

#220478 - 10/20/05 10:03 AM
tcollins

Reged: 01/19/05
Loc: Mississippi, USA

Welcome to the boards. I hope you find something here that will help you.

Terry

#220542 - 10/20/05 02:42 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Like Linz said it's more about how you eat, not exact foods. What I watch for on labels is dairy (milk products, whole eggs)HFCS (high fructose corn syrup), fat count. I am losing weight on this diet. I keep my calories around 1200 and fat content to about 20-25% of that. All this information is on this site and in the books. If you looked at what's available on here you'll see the trigger food lists. But it really is what your body tolerates. Some people don't have problems with HFCS for example. Keep reading, keep plugging along until you find what seems to work for you. Foods to carry with you may be trickier but if you do a search of these boards you'll probably gets some ideas. I have to take it a meal at a time, and keep it pretty simple. I experiment with the recipes here and in Heather's books to add variety to my diet. Can you tell I'm a big fan of this diet?

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1771 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1150

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review