All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Let's celebrate the things we can eat!!
      #203706 - 08/08/05 08:34 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

We spend so much time talking about what we can't eat on this board. Yet some of us are doing well and eating things we really enjoy. I was thinking it might be inspiring for people who aren't doing so well to have something to look forward to (or really depressing, in which case, stop reading). I mean, I actually can eat movie popcorn if I'm careful. I love it! Two years ago I would have never thought I'd touch it again in my life. So, what do you guys love that you're stable enough to eat that has thankfully returned to your lives?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Let's celebrate the things we can eat!! new
      #203713 - 08/08/05 08:57 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

mnnn yummy!!

italian ice
hard cheeses (ie cheddar and parmesean don't hurt nearly as much as ricotta and cream cheese)
turkey burgers
salads (fruit and lettuce salads)
spinach
asparagus
artichokes
green beans
beets
grapes
watermelon
pineapple
bing cherries
strawberries

--------------------

#203714 - 08/08/05 08:59 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

This reply may not fit into the category of "able to eat again" but I gotta tell you I really enjoy some of the great foods I can eat now without getting sick. This way of eating works for me right now. I love rice, pasta, seafoods, cooked veggies, well seasoned chicken, rice crispy treats, chocolate cake for one. ...I could go on and on because I am not feeling deprived. This board offers so many tasty recipes that I think you gotta really be picky to not find something wonderful to cook and eat.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#203733 - 08/08/05 10:58 PM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

Tomorrow marks 7 weeks of not getting sick for me. A few tummy aches but overall doing well!

I am grateful that I can eat:
Fresh breads
Pasta
Rice
Potatoes
Chicken made a gazillion different ways
Soy cheese so I can make safe pizza
Soy "Ice Cream"
No Pudge Brownies

I am incredibly grateful that I live close to a Trader Joe's that has a ton of stuff that I can eat safely.

I am so thankful that I found this website nearly two years ago which has helped me cope with IBS and learn what I can eat and feel good.

THANK YOU TO HEATHER!!!

Leigh

#203742 - 08/09/05 02:38 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

A great suggestion re: focussing on the "BRIGHER SIDE of LIFE!
So, here's my list to date:

--spinach,swiss chard (cooked/pureed), dandelion, arugula...greens that are well cooked and pureed!!! (I either steam or saute my salad)(I eat my leafy salads cooked without a problem at all! Still can't do raw lettuce or sprouts) (I eat a lot of cooked greens, as a vegan)
--green tea/coffee in small quantities
--On a very good day, a carbonated beverage.
--Carrots, turnips, fennel bulbs, and even a little celery in small quantities.
--mushrooms of all kinds (and I love them)
--small amounts of cauliflower and broccoli and brussels sprouts (still can't do "cabbage" but considering a little bok choy)
--BERRIES (I adore them and have no problem eating a pint of them!!!) (Blueberries, though, still cause a few upsets, but I read that they are acid versus alkaline)
--cherries, apricots
--zucchini
--asparagus
--lemons/limes
--rice and rice based pastas/cereals
--herbs, minute quantities of shallot, scallion, chives as well.

Kate, IBS-D.

Oh man... so many things!! new
      #203766 - 08/09/05 06:05 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Corn on the cob!
Grapes!
The occasional salad!
Strawberry shortcake! Blueberries! Wild raspberries picked right off the bush!

Edited to add: TOMATOES! I can't believe I forgot the cherry tomatoes... been eating them like candy, with a little raspberry vinaigrette to dip them in - yum! (Reading my own list is making me hungry! Haha)

The big triumph for me has been being able to eat fresh fruits and veggies again. A year ago, I seriously thought I'd be eating nothing but canned peaches and pears for the rest of my life. I've been eating it all summer, but biting into an ear of corn is still utter bliss for me. And I really have yet to find a fruit or vegetable that I CAN'T eat. It's wonderful!

Edited by atomic rose (08/09/05 09:16 AM)

#203775 - 08/09/05 06:22 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Great idea...especially since I've been missing dairy lately

Favorites I can safely eat:
Rice
Oatmeal
Turkey
Chicken
Lemon sorbet
Carrots
Pasta
Italian ice
Angelfood cake
Green Beans
Potatoes
Lean pork
Venison
Popeye's fried chicken
Fries

(Yes, I know those last 4 should hurt me, but they don't. )

Okay, I know this is suppose to be about foods we can eat, ... new
      #203782 - 08/09/05 06:42 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

so why post that blueberries are not good? OY, I thought they were safe! They are in a recipe in Heather's book.

I thought this was going to be a "safe" post to read to get me out of some of my food fears....but now I fear that blueberries I eat are not safe.

why are acid foods not okay and alkaline are and how can you tell which are which? Heather doesn't mention this factor at all. Should we only eat alkaline foods to be safe?

Maybe I should stop reading these boards. The posts have really scared me away from so many foods. I'm going crazy.

I think it might be more helpful if people didn't post what specific foods hurt or their own theories on whole groups of foods unless someone asks. It only creats fear in newbies and for those who are struggling with finding their own intolerances.

I know you were posting your own thoughts, but this post was suppose to be a postitive uplifting one, not one that puts more fear into people by listing possibly problematic foods...putting more fear into us!

I just had to say this...it really upset me to read this when I thought the posts would be so helpful, concentrating on all the foods people could eat. I hate this fear and confusion.

Re: Okay, I know this is suppose to be about foods we can eat, ... new
      #203787 - 08/09/05 07:20 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I think blueberries are one of those things that do not bother everyone, but they do bother some...and it may depend on how stable you are. IBS is such an individual thing. For example, I'm okay with a few blueberries, but I don't think I could handle an entire cup of them.

We do not all have the exact same triggers, and it is an experiemental thing. For example, fat is not a huge trigger for me, so I can handle some fried foods. I know others here who won't go near a french fry because it's fried. Others can't handle too many raw veggies; I'm one of those.

This is a trial-and-error condition. If you are not stable, of course you won't want to experiment some, and that is perfectly understandable. But once you are stable, you will probably get bored of white rice and plain chicken (for example).

Yes, it can be overwhelming, but there is a lot of help here. There is no magic bullet for IBS. If there was, well, the boards wouldn't be necessary.

#203790 - 08/09/05 07:25 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

take note that passanie said in the beginning do not read this post if you're going to get upset about it.

but I don't think its fair that those of us working on our ibs for over a year now can't talk about our successes. We can all share the forum and still learn.

--------------------

corn on the cob... new
      #203791 - 08/09/05 07:30 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

I seriously stopped eating corn 7 or 8 years ago because it would always come out as D and still whole (TMI I know)

however... I finally gave in and tried corn a few weeks ago and I've ate if four times successfully! I'm so happy because corn from massachusetts is phenomenal!

If you can eat corn I definitly reccomend carefully unpeeling the leaves and removing the silk inside the corn. Rub the corn with a little soy butter/or margarine if you can handle it and sprinkle with mccormicks garlic and herb seasoning or sundried tomato seasonings. Then, cover the corn with the leaves that you have carefully pulled down and stick it on the grill!! IT SO YUMMY. Grilled corn is phenomenal. Obviously when its done, husk the entire corn and voila!

--------------------

#203793 - 08/09/05 07:36 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Cyndy, if the Boards are really upsetting you, maybe you should take a break from them for a week or two, go just by what Heather says, and see how you do. I've said before that if I tried to go by what's on the Boards when I was first beginning the diet, I would never have gotten started.

The Boards are great, but one of their primary purposes is to talk about "life on the edge", where people's idiosyncratic reactions to food bump up against the diet. If you're twitchy about what you're eating, maybe going back to the source document - Heather's pure unadulterated recommendations - would help. That way you only have to worry about one person's advice. (Sort of the ultimate extension of my "pick your guru" approach.)

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#203796 - 08/09/05 07:39 AM
Sand

Oh, yeah, popcorn. I haven't tried movie popcorn yet, but I can handle the stuff I make myself. Soy Ice Cream, yum. And the last couple of weeks, fruit: watermelon, strawberries, cherries, peaches, pears. And I've even had corn on the cob a couple of times.

Nice idea, Passanie. Thanks.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#203821 - 08/09/05 08:22 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Excellent idea, Passanie!

Here's my list:

instant oatmeal

Chocolate Peppermint Stick Luna Bars

peanut butter sandwiches

asparagus, broccoli, carrots (steamed or boiled)

Haagen Dazs sorbet (chocolate, strawberry, lemon)

Chinese food (chicken or shrimp and vegetables w/ rice)

small amounts of chopped tomatoes and onions on rice and beans

black bean dip

canned pineapple chunks mixed with bananas

small order of BK French fries once a month

Edited by Maria!Maria! (08/09/05 08:23 AM)

#203829 - 08/09/05 08:42 AM
Mitch

Reged: 02/06/04
Loc: Tucson, AZ

The thing for me that I hated giving up was ice cream and cheese. I can every now and then eat both. I try not to eat to much but every once in a while I will eat it. I love it. I am pretty stable but do have my moments so I try and watch what I eat. I am going on 9 months with no attack and feeling pretty good. I only have three more months to go until I have been attack free for a year and am pretty excited about that fact.

--------------------
Michelle

Cyndy... new
      #203833 - 08/09/05 08:51 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

IBS is such an individual malady that one has to treat themselves and not worry about others. I can eat eggs but many others can't, I seem to tolerate cofee but others do not. Casey can eat corn on the cob...just thinking about corn on the cob makes my stomach hurt.

You CANNOT really go by what others do...this is all about trial and error for you as an individual. Start with the basics and slowly add things, keeping a good diary until you figure out what works for you and what doesn't. Then press on...

I hope this helps...

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

No, I think it's great to celebrate success! new
      #203835 - 08/09/05 08:56 AM
Cyndy

That's why I was so excited to see this positive aspect thread!

I wasn't expecting a "problem" food to be posted on such a positive subject. I thought the warning of "possible depression" meant that we might get depressed that we weren't able to eat some of the foods...not that the thread would include bad reactions to foods.

I'll just shut up now! Didn't mean to cause a stir.
Thanks.

Maybe that's a good idea Sand... new
      #203837 - 08/09/05 08:59 AM
Cyndy

Like I said further down, I just wasn't expecting a negative reaction to be included in this post, so I thought this one would help me...I already try to "screen" my readings and not open up any that I think might confuse me any more.

Maybe I'll just step away for a while.

YES!! new
      #203843 - 08/09/05 09:13 AM
atomic rose

Grilled corn is AWESOME. If you ever don't feel like doing the seasonings, just soak the entire ear - husk, silk and all - in cold water for an hour before you grill it. Then throw it on the grill, and I swear, it will be the juiciest, tenderest corn you've ever had. (And bonus, you didn't have to turn on the stove! Heh.)

We're still waiting for the local corn... but wherever it's been coming from so far this summer, it's been DELICIOUS.

Cyndy, don't get PARANOID!!! new
      #203848 - 08/09/05 09:18 AM
Wind

Seriously, this thread is about personal celebrations re: food successes. Note also that what works for one person totally messes up another individual's day! If I want to hyper-analyze (ANAL-yze) my BLUEBERRY issue, than that's my problem--I do have better things to do with myself!!!

So, honestly...celebrate and enjoy what you can eat and your food successes in terms of your IBS. It does improve, Cyndy! But, I understand if sophistry is your passion. Incidentally--and don't take this hyper-personally or as insult, because it's positively intended--do you have OCD? Have you tried Heather's hypno. series or hypno./NLP in general? Just curious.

Now...MAYBE I'LL GO EAT SOME BLUEBERRIES so I have something
to blame for a crappy day!

Kate, IBS-D.

You know, I was thinking that too... new
      #203852 - 08/09/05 09:26 AM
atomic rose

...that I should make another list: a list of really good things I was able to eat BEFORE I got stable. I mean, I've only considered myself stable for a month or so now... and if I was eating NO good food before then, I certainly wouldn't be as chubby as I am now.

So...

Heavenly foods that you can eat BEFORE you're completely stable:

Anti-depressant brownies!
cailin's INCREDIBLE Baked Chicken with Plums, Ginger and Soy (look in the recipe index)!
Heather's Peppermint Fudge Cake!
Heather's Great-Great-Grandmother's Chocolate Applesauce Bread!
GRILLED CHICKEN!! (Brush it with a little honey just before it's done... yum! I love my grilled food!)
Oven fries!
Even better: oven sweet potato fries!
Peach cobbler!

...and the list goes on and on, because you're right, Franny, I think you have to be REALLY picky to not find something delicious to eat, with all the great recipes on the boards and in Heather's book (and in other low-fat cookbooks as well).

Wrong Day to Celebrate. new
      #204041 - 08/09/05 05:20 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

It's a great post, but I had to start eating GF today and am not happy at all. Between the IBS & Celiac there isn't much available here for me to eat. I'm soooo hungry. I have got to get someone to take me to Whole Foods.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#204043 - 08/09/05 05:29 PM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

Oh boy, let's see...when I am stable, I am able to enjoy

a small piece of chocolate everyday after dinner
lactose-free milk (can't tolerate soy)
a small amount of cheese on my eggs in the morning
lots of fresh cooked veggies
extra olive oil on my pasta
ritz crackers and almond butter
Whey protein shakes (for extra calories)
extra helping of yummy fatty salmon (again, I need the calories)

Again, I can indulge in these items only if I am stable. Unfortunately, I just started my period today, so it looks like I'll only be able to eat super safe things for the next week. Sadness.

--------------------
Dana

Ok, when I'm stable, which I'm not.... new
      #204053 - 08/09/05 06:25 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

~ ALL fruit, in any form(apples make me burp) except kiwi, banana(on a hunch) and EVIL AVOCADO!LOL!
~ Vanilla Soy Milk mmmm
~ Tazo Chai Tea Latte with Soy, every day. So amazing.
~ Sorbet! Give it to me however I can take it!
~ Sushi!
~ Pasta with tomato sauce if my GERD isn't being a nerd.
~ White bread and margarine(nonhydrogenated works fine with me)
~ OUtback's Chocolate Thunder from Down under brownie-it's gluten free but FULL of fat. Fat isn't tooooo bad for me.
~ rice krispie squares! I think I'd die without them now.
~ Grilled chicken breasts, poached salmon, the occasional very lean steak(oh mercy, does she?? and pork tenderloins have NEVER bothered me.
~ occasionally, a chocolate chip cookie. But warning, I will eat the whole box in 4 days. Therefore, we usually don't have them.

Great idea, it's very nice to celebrate!!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Carol... new
      #204067 - 08/09/05 06:44 PM
Wind

Can you visualize/imagine deriving pleasure from simple fruits and vegetables? You know, mother nature's goodness? A funky chicken or fish dish? (You sound like a flesh eater, sorry, if I'm being presumptuous.)

Kate.

Re: corn on the cob... new
      #204074 - 08/09/05 07:02 PM
Passanie

Ooooh, that sounds awesome! Yeah, I find people understand what insoluble fiber is real quick when I mention corn.

Re: You know, I was thinking that too... new
      #204075 - 08/09/05 07:10 PM
Passanie

Oh yes, I tried Heather's recipe for french toast - the kind with plums (I forget the exact name, it's in the book). Oh, it was wonderful! I hadn't had french toast in years and it was a glorious, glorious day.

#204086 - 08/09/05 09:21 PM
Safari567

Reged: 06/05/05
Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada

I just discovered tonight how wonderful sweet potatoes are! Can't wait to find new recipes for them. I have to admit, the IBS has spurred my creativity in the kitchen and I have fun trying new recipes. And thanks to this diet, weight loss has become SO much easier, and I hope it continues to come off as easy as it did when I started following it!

Things I enjoy when I AM and AM NOT stable new
      #204093 - 08/09/05 11:02 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi all!

When I am not stable, here are things that I actually enjoy eating:
-Pretzels! Love 'em
-Hummus (not a lot, and with some soluble fiber - yum!)
-Luna Bars
-Applesauce.. especially the peach and mango flavoured!
-Small amounts of Silk chocolate soy milk
-Arrowroot cookies
-Angel Food Cake
-Rice Crispy Squares
-Halibut baked in foil with lemon, garlic and rosemary - yum!
-Oven fries
-Dairy free Mango Sorbet (my biggest love!)
------ I'm sure those aren't the only ones, it is pretty late right now so I am struggling for my brain to work!!

When I AM stable, I add some more stuff LIKE...
-More soy products... Soy ice cream, more soy cheeses and stuff like that.
-Small amounts of popcorn and corn on the cob
-More vegetables
-SMALL amounts of dairy when I am feel particularly stable, and have something uber safe first
-I can also have extra lean red meat.. but this is a huge no-no for some so beware!
-Sushi!
-Oatmeal
-Small slurpees (I drink the 'clear' flavour ones)
-Small amounts of chocolate
-Peppermint Fudge Cake!!

I know there are loads more, but I must get my butt to bed!
Good idea for a post!!

Cheers!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

A Sasker!! new
      #204095 - 08/09/05 11:31 PM
_Willow

Where ya from? My Dh is from PA, Saskatoon, and they ahve family in Estevan and turtleford too. I know your province well, LOL!

From another happy Prairie girl

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Carol... new
      #204102 - 08/10/05 04:41 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Oh yeah .. total carnivore. If I cooked for myself it would be no problem.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#204120 - 08/10/05 06:25 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

1.Heather's Banana Pudding (just had some yesterday!)
2.soft pretzels
3.baked lays (I have to watch it with these - I can eat way too much at one time!)
4. ADB brownies -- again - addictive
5. I LOVE the white sauce that I got one here. I make it w/soy milk instead and have it all the time.
6. mock french toast made with egg whites, a little vanilla soy milk and some cinnamon - topped with just a dab of smart balance light & a sprinkle of pwdered sugar
7. I just discovered Lemon Zest Luna Bars. When I am really stable I have one (oatmeal can give me gas )
8. a baked potato

Re: A Sasker!! new
      #204316 - 08/10/05 03:22 PM
Safari567

Reged: 06/05/05
Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada

Hi! I'm in Regina. Go prairies!

I've been to your fair city a few times! new
      #204433 - 08/10/05 10:52 PM
_Willow

At least it gets HILLY down by Regina, LOL! I love the southern Prairies.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

#204439 - 08/10/05 11:47 PM
AndrewL

Reged: 02/20/05

Dear Hearts;
I think I would lose my mind on this diet without 3 things:well cooked onions, well cooked garlic and cornbread! I perfected a reciepe adapted from the Reciepe board for cornbread and stable or not,I can eat it all day! It's incredibly rich and CORNY and you won't believe how low fat it is-I have to post the reciepe one of these days.(It'll probably look familiar-as I said,I adapted it from a reciepe posted at the Reciepe board.)
Other blessings for me:
Cooked mushrooms(as much as I want)
Bagels(without seeds,obviously)
Fish of all kinds( tuna is infinitely versitile)
Shrimp(AWESOME!)
Baked Potato and Corn Chips( can eat all day,need to be careful.........)
Grilled chicken and turkey cutlets
oven fries
low fat crumb cake
bananas and peeled apples
Decaffinated Coca cola(don't ask me why,but suddenly 3 weeks ago it didn't bother me anymore as long as it's not too cold! Yay!)
Venison(YES,it didn't bother me when I was stable-make sure it's the WILD kind!)
All I can think of right now.To your health,dear hearts.Now if only I can find some beverage reciepes..........
Sincerely,
Andrew L.

Beans! new
      #204609 - 08/11/05 11:35 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Don't they give you gas? Do you guys who eat beans need to take Beano or something?

I would love to eat more beans for the fiber, but they cause gas I would think.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Beans! new
      #204630 - 08/11/05 12:24 PM
lalala

Yes I get some gas, but it's not too bad if I eat small amounts regularly. I puree the beans and mix with a soy cream cheese; the pureeing mechanically breaks down the outer skin that's higher in IF and makes it easier to digest.

I always have it with an SF base of rice and flour tortillas/Tostitos. Plus black beans also have some soluble fiber in them. If you look through Heather's recipes you'll see a number of her recipes incorporate pureed black beans.

I think I can tolerate them because of what I attempted to explain in an earlier post, which you can read here. Of course, right now I'm in the middle of a "flare-up" or attack, so I won't being eating any beans today!

HTH, Beth!

#204634 - 08/11/05 12:31 PM
Augie

So about how much beans is a good amount? Do you thin 1/2 cup of lentils or other type beans (before pureeing) would be overkill?

Do you happen to know what type of beans are most tolerated and least gas provoking...if there is such a thing!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Oh man... so many things!! new
      #204636 - 08/11/05 12:37 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I agree, corn on the con is pure bliss!!!!

#204652 - 08/11/05 01:16 PM
lalala

I've been looking and looking for a list of different beans and how tolerable they are. I remember reading once that lentils are easier to tolerate.

Anyway, here's how I prepare my beans (remember, I'm a D):

1) I usually eat canned beans because I know they're fully cooked and they're easier for me to prepare. Lentils are faster and easier to cook, so I'll usually make these myself according to package directions.

2a) I puree the contents of a 15 oz can of black beans (my favorite type of bean), either make it into a dip or spread, or just add a couple of tablespoons of mashed beans to a burrito or plain rice. (You could probably start out with less and build up, just to see how you are tolerating it.) I reheat the beans after making them into a spread in the microwave or I'll heat them first and then mash them with a fork. Sometimes I don't reheat them at all, just mash them and mix with rice.

2b) With lentils, I like to puree, heat over a stove, and mix them with couscous. Are you still GF? If so, they're also good as a topping for baked or boiled potatoes. Personally, because I'm a D, a 1/2 cup of lentils after not eating any for a while seems like a lot to me. I would probably start with 1/4 cup or less and work my way up over a week or two. Of course, you'll probably have to do a bit of experimenting to see what works for you.)

3) I've read that some spices (such as cumin and ginger) and herbs (parsley) are digestive aids, so you might want to add them to your purees. They have carminative (gas relieving) properties. I usually add cumin as I'm pureeing the beans--it blends better this way.

4) You might want to try a cup of fennel tea at the end of your meal. Uh oh, I feel a Heather-quote coming on :

Clinical studies have shown that fennel, as part of the diet, helps regulate contractions of the small intestine and aids gas expulsion. Fennel also relaxes the gut, which can relieve spasms of the GI tract. As a result, fennel assists in the dietary management of IBS symptoms, and is exceptional for IBS bloating, gas and abdominal pain. Fennel is also a traditional digestive aid for colic, heartburn, indigestion, and stomachaches.

I haven't tried Beano, but since it contains enzymes that digest beans it should be helpful as well. Do you take Beano before you eat or with the first bite of food? Aren't there drops you add to the beans?

I guess eating beans is a bigger production than I thought! Well, I hope I haven't bored you to tears or confused you even more. I'm just writing what has worked for me in the area of bean consumption.

#204680 - 08/11/05 02:36 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Quote:

cailin's INCREDIBLE Baked Chicken with Plums, Ginger and Soy (look in the recipe index)!

Glad you are still loving it Casey, I haven't made it in such a long time...mmm maybe for dinner on Sunday...

Before I was stable I loved ADBs, rice with chicken and chili sauce, prawns with rice and tomato sauce, soy chocolate dessert with gingersnaps dipped in them, caramel ricecrackers.

I am eating such rubbish at the moment,I need to pull myself together or my skin is going to give me away, not good with wedding in seven weeks!

--------------------
S.

#204688 - 08/11/05 03:04 PM
Shelli73

Reged: 05/11/05
Loc: Georgia, USA

Actually, one of my favorite meals is pinto bean soup, sometimes pintos & white beans cooked together. I'm southern, what can I say?
I can't eat this when I'm in the middle of a flare up, or it will hurt me a little. However, if I'm stable, the way I cook them, they don't bother me.
First, as with all things southern, you gotta cook them to death...this makes pureeing them unnecessary. LOL You have to either soak the beans overnight, then rinse & replace the water the next day & cook, or as I often do, rinse the beans well, bring to a boil for 2 minutes, then remove from heat, cover & let sit for an hour. Then you dump that water, rinse the beans again, and cook in fresh water for at least 3 hours.
Now, HERE'S the secret to making them less gassy. After they've been cooking a good hour or so, when they start getting a little tender & they're just simmering or so...take one-two tablespoons of baking soda & sprinkle into the soup. (You need to be cooking in a big pot, cause this will make the soup bubble up BIG time...if it starts to overflow the pot, remove from heat for a minute.) Basically, what you're seeing is the gas disappear. Remember, baking soda is an old fashioned remedy for gas & heartburn. I start with one tablespoon, stir it up well until it stops bubbling, then I'll sprinkle a little more in...if it bubbles up alot again, I know I need more. This really does work!!

--------------------
Shelli - Wife & stay at home mom to 1 son, 1 dog & 2 parrots! IBS-A, usually C.

#204691 - 08/11/05 03:07 PM
lalala

That is an excellent tip for making beans more tolerable. I don't think I've heard that before! I'll have to try it. Pintos and white beans cooked together? Yum!

Thanks!

Shelli? new
      #204700 - 08/11/05 04:21 PM
Augie

Thanks for the tip! How many beans do you use per recipe with the baking soda and how much water do you add? Do you drain the water after cooking?

I gather the beans are dried beans,,,the type you find in plastic bags at the grocery store?

When you make the soup, do you just cook the beans and not add anything else to the soup either before or after the beans are done?

Thank you!

--------------------
~ Beth

Not bored! new
      #204707 - 08/11/05 04:38 PM
Augie

I love detailed explanations! The more info the better! I appreciate you taking the time to type all that out!

When you say you make the spread or dip, is it Heather's bean spread in the EFI diet book? Do you only use a few Tablespoons of the spread as well?

Do you just add dry cumin that you find in the spice aisle? I never heard that this helped with gas. Good to know! I'm not sure parsley would taste so good with beans! But I have heard to chew fresh parsley leaves after a meal to aid in digestion. Haven't tried that yet either.

If you only eat a few Tablespoons of the beans on the couscous or a few Tablespoons of the dip, what do you do with all the left over beans from the 15 oz jar? Do you freeze it or does it stay edible in the fridge for a while?

I've tried Beano in the pill form...chewing a few of them right before eating something I think may cause gas, like asparagus. It does also come in a liquid. But both forms contain Artificial Sweetener (pill contains mannitol and liquid contains sorbitol ), so I try to just double up on my digestive enzyme which contains the same active ingredient as the Beano without the Artif. Sweetener. I sometimes take both though. I still get the gas, so don't know if I would suggest the beano does anything for me.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Not bored! new
      #204711 - 08/11/05 04:47 PM
lalala

Quote:

I love detailed explanations! The more info the better! I appreciate you taking the time to type all that out!

When you say you make the spread or dip, is it Heather's bean spread in the EFI diet book? Do you only use a few Tablespoons of the spread as well? Yep, I've made Heather's bean spread and then experimented with my own mixes. Heather's is the tastiest, though. Since I've been eating more beans lately I'll have more than a few tablespoons.

Do you just add dry cumin that you find in the spice aisle? Yes. I never heard that this helped with gas. I didn't know that until recently either. I don't know if it really does, but I like the flavor--there is a soothing quality to it. Good to know! I'm not sure parsley would taste so good with beans! Just an example. But I have seen it in bean soup recipes. But I have heard to chew fresh parsley leaves after a meal to aid in digestion. Haven't tried that yet either. I've tried this a couple of times. I can't recall if it helped with gas but I remember it didn't taste very good!

If you only eat a few Tablespoons of the beans on the couscous or a few Tablespoons of the dip, what do you do with all the left over beans from the 15 oz jar? Sometimes I'll have it for lunch AND dinner and, of course, I live with bf so he'll eat some. You could share it with coworkers, too! Do you freeze it or does it stay edible in the fridge for a while? I've never needed to keep it more than two days in the refrigerator because I'm constantly snacking on it. Sometimes I'll make half the can and then use the rest to make a black bean salsa for my non-IBS bf or friends.

I've tried Beano in the pill form...chewing a few of them right before eating something I think may cause gas, like asparagus. It does also come in a liquid. But both forms contain Artificial Sweetener (pill contains mannitol and liquid contains sorbitol ), so I try to just double up on my digestive enzyme which contains the same active ingredient as the Beano without the Artif. Sweetener. Those darn artificial sweeteners! They show up everywhere! Well, I guess I won't be trying it any time soon. I sometimes take both though. I still get the gas, so don't know if I would suggest the beano does anything for me.

Re: Shelli? new
      #204737 - 08/11/05 05:51 PM
Shelli73

Reged: 05/11/05
Loc: Georgia, USA

A one pound bag of dried beans will make one BIG pot of soup. I usually feed 4-6 people with it, and have leftovers. When you do the first boil of the beans, you want lots of water, cause the beans will soak it up. When you drain & rinse & then add fresh water, I usually cover the beans with about an extra inch or two above the beans. They will continue to absorb the water...I usually cook them until they're kind of creamy. The baking soda makes them a bit creamier too. You can always dump a little water out if it's too 'soupy'.
I will confess, when I make my bean soup, I usually throw a couple ham hocks in for flavor...this will add some fat to the soup. I have made it without the ham hocks & it was still good though. Some people add onions to theirs, but I don't care for it myself. And of course, corn bread always makes a wonderful compliment to bean soup.

(Oh, and the bags of dried beans at the store usually have cooking directions on the back of the bag...they just don't tell you to add baking soda.)

--------------------
Shelli - Wife & stay at home mom to 1 son, 1 dog & 2 parrots! IBS-A, usually C.

#204770 - 08/11/05 07:25 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I am able to eat the following: Which mind you some can't but I think we all have our things that WE can eat that others can't:

Chocolate (specifically dark)
Pizza
Salsa
Most candy (salt water taffy are my fav right now)
Brownies
Pickles
Lunch meat(turkey)

I think this is a great thread. We get stuck on wishing we could eat this and that (me it's ICE CREAM) and I think that we forget that there are things that we can eat that we should be thankful that we can eat without troubles.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#204819 - 08/12/05 04:24 AM
melissamonica

Reged: 07/07/05
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

Beans seem to give me some more than normal amounts of gas-
I tried the Beano drops and they didn't help. I love veggies but have a very hard time with them. All I pretty much eat is carrots- They seem to be the easiest on my insides.
Now my mother uses Beano and she thinks it helps. I guess everyone has different results.
Have a great day!

Re: Cyndy, don't get PARANOID!!! new
      #204949 - 08/12/05 10:28 AM
Cyndy

No I don't have OCD. And sophistry is not my passion. Trying to feel better is my passion. And trying not to become fearful of more foods that I already am.

#205029 - 08/12/05 02:17 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Cyndy:

Please feel free to e-mail me at belinda958@yahoo.ca and I will try and help you sort out the diet. I understand how confusing it can be. I'm an oldtimer -- I've had IBS for 47 years so I've had lots of time to figure out how to control my symptoms and how to deploy Heather's diet to the bes advantage!

Re: A Sasker!! new
      #205051 - 08/12/05 03:41 PM
doer30

Reged: 06/24/05
Loc: canada

hi
I have a sister in regina and reletives in sask and I am from manitoba where it is really cold in winter lol!

--------------------
laurie
constipation , bloating and pain, wf and dairy

We have a name for man...... new
      #205142 - 08/12/05 10:41 PM
_Willow

well, we call it Winterpeg manisnowba....I know, no fair. I'm sure Edmonton has a few mean nicknames too, but I've heard you guys get the butt end of the winter stick!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

oven sweet potato fries new
      #205156 - 08/13/05 06:06 AM
babymom

Reged: 02/24/05

Do you just bake them on a cookie sheet?? these sound awesome!!

Passanie new
      #205208 - 08/13/05 08:57 AM
Augie

What other foods can you eat besides the popcorn, which I am very jealous of, btw!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Passanie new
      #205375 - 08/14/05 10:39 AM
Passanie

Hey Augie. I can eat lots of things if a healthy meal and sfs supplment precedes them, like a chocolate chip cookie or cheese. Oh, and I just adore tofutti cutie ice cream sandwiches (they're soy - if you guys haven't tried them, you need to) and lots of veggies like corn on the cob.

The cool thing is that after four years of (mostly) following Heather's diet, I think my pallet (sp?)/tastes have changed. I don't need things to be high in fat for them to taste good. And I don't miss cheesecake, real ice cream, creme brulee, milk or fried food. They just don't appeal to me. I bring things to lunch as treats or desserts for me, like the baked chips, and my co-workers don't like the taste of them, but I love them. That's what I call a healthy change!

#206351 - 08/18/05 05:51 AM
sugar

Reged: 02/08/03
Loc: Calistoga, CA

Try sushi inside out rolls with slightly hard sweet potatoes as the filler. You can add another vegetable
to that if you want. At the sushi place I go to here their veggie rolls have sweet potatoes in them and they are great!

--------------------
A Safe Place

#207784 - 08/23/05 11:39 AM
sugar

I'm trying to find out if Brussle Sprouts are okay to
eat. I read here to stay away from Bean Sprouts but
what about brussle sprouts? I love them on sandwiches
and I think they would make a good salad as well.

--------------------
A Safe Place

Re: oven sweet potato fries new
      #207786 - 08/23/05 11:42 AM
sugar

I've eaten these in a restaurant but they were fried so I had to really restrict myself. I'd be interested if there is a lower fat recipie (sp) for sweet potatoe fries.

--------------------
A Safe Place

#207788 - 08/23/05 11:51 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Very gassy for me...I'd just treat them like a bean.

I love Brussel sprouts (m) new
      #207789 - 08/23/05 11:53 AM
Sand

but I haven't quite gotten up the courage to try them yet.

Quote:

Some fruits and vegetables are particularly troublesome for IBS:
Sulfur-containing foods (garlic, onions, leeks, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, asparagus, and Brussels sprouts), in addition to their high amounts of insoluble fiber, also produce significant gas in the GI tract and this can trigger attacks. As with all other fruits and veggies, however, these are extremely nutritious foods with significant health benefits, so they need to be treated with caution but definitely not eliminated from your diet.

From Heather's Insoluble Fiber page

--------------------

#207792 - 08/23/05 11:58 AM
SCgirl

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: Charleston SC

When I used to be D I couldnt eat alot of things but now I am C(not saying it is better at all) but I can eat most things and take my Digestive Advantage and Miralx on occasion and be ALMOST like normal.
I can eat most things. Believe it or not I can eat salads with no problem, junk food including pizza and fried chicken you name it! The only thing that makes me really sick feeling is ice cream unfortunately...which I used to eat with no problem..weird huh. Maybe thats a good thing..I dont need another sweet in my life I can eat.LOL

#207794 - 08/23/05 12:00 PM
Sand

Yup, check the Recipe Index. There are 2 recipes called "Sweet Potato Fries" and one called "Savory Sweet Potato Sticks". The recipe called "Crispy Potato Wedges" also has a sweet potato variation.

HTH.

--------------------

Brussels sprouts new
      #207864 - 08/23/05 02:06 PM
atomic rose

Just like any other insoluble fiber food, they are SAFE to eat as long as you eat them within the IBS diet guidelines - with plenty of soluble fiber. And as always, everyone's different, so some people do find them too gassy, but other people can eat them just fine. In other words, you won't know if they're ok for you until you try them yourself.

Personally, I love them, and I can eat them just fine.

Re: Brussels sprouts new
      #207877 - 08/23/05 02:29 PM
Wind

I love them and combined with sf and enzymes, NO PROBLEM!!!
Aren't they cute! (I like to eat them with fragrant herbs so that my breath doesn't smell too sulfurous!)

Uh oh...they might be on my next shopping list!!! I crave them when I'm catching a cold.

The only way to find out is to try a few.
Kate, IBS-D.

They ARE cute! new
      #207880 - 08/23/05 02:32 PM
atomic rose

As a kid, what prompted me to try them is that they looked like little tiny baby cabbages. Then I happened to just LOVE them at first bite. Thank goodness I can still eat them ok!

I think I know what's going on the list for MY next shopping!

Brussels Sprouts new
      #207912 - 08/23/05 03:59 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I need to only eat them when I am going to be spending A LOT of time alone...gassy stinky and gassy!

--------------------
S.

Re: They ARE cute! new
      #207938 - 08/23/05 05:17 PM
Wind

I had recurring dreams about them, last year. I dreamed that those cute little cabbages were actually heads and the repeating heads were copies of my head.

Yes, I definitely must acquire some b.s.
I worry if I don't fart enough.
I prefer the frozen ones, though, to the fresh ones. They're positively perfect. And so tiny!

Kate.

I am so jealous... new
      #207951 - 08/23/05 06:47 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

My stomach goes all cattywompas if I even LOOK at a brussel sprout. I love them too....bummer!

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

#208127 - 08/24/05 10:28 AM
sugar

Thank you Sand I will be sure to check that out!

--------------------
A Safe Place

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 210 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 50795

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review