All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Recipes for Kids - HELP!!
      #265003 - 05/23/06 11:18 AM
keryan

Reged: 05/22/06

My daughter was just diagnosed with IBS. I'm having a hard time finding main dish recipes that are geared more towards kids. I've ordered the cookbook and am waiting for it to arrive, but would appreciate some help in the mean time. Also, the first ingredient on marshmallows is corn syrup. Aren't I supposed to stay awsay from that? Or is that High fructose corn syrup? What's the difference? Thanks...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Recipes for Kids - HELP!! new
      #265013 - 05/23/06 12:05 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

High fructose corn syrup is the no-no. I'm not sure what the difference is, but I know that when I eat things with HFCS, I feel the pain. What types of foods does your daughter like? We can help you modify the recipes.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#265031 - 05/23/06 01:13 PM
keryan

Hi and thanks! She's your basic 10 year old. She likes mac-n-cheese, pizza, sodas, lasagna, anything pasta (but she can be picky about the sauce. She likes most starches, but I'm still in shock about the carb thing. I'm definately brain washed. She doesn't seem to care for the soy taste, btw. I'm also trying to feed a picky husband (who is in denial about his IBS) who recently suggested making two meals every night. Yeah, that's gonna happen with a two year old and a 3 month old on my hip....anyway, thanks for helping me. I really appreciate anything after wandering the grocery store aisles till midnight last night...

#265033 - 05/23/06 01:22 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Have you checked out the IBS recipe index on the main page? There are probably hundreds of IBS-safe recipes there based on traditional recipes (including mac-n-cheese, pizza, burgers, meatloaf). Recipe Index - Main Dishes

There's also a list on the IBS Diet board of safe snacks and brand recommendations.
Brand Name Recommendations for IBS Safe Foods

Snacks

#265057 - 05/23/06 02:38 PM
keryan

Thanks, I'm looking through more of the recipes. I printed both store/snack lists last night and spent about three hours trying to figure out what would work since many labels were different. I discovered that many soy cheeses have casein in them which she's not supposed to have? It was very frustrating. Plus, many of the store items were off the charts in sodium, which I don't know the rules on.

#265066 - 05/23/06 02:59 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I don't think there are any guidelines regarding IBS and sodium. I don't think it's a trigger or anything, but it's not good regarding other aspects of your health. I agree with you that finding IBS-safe and healthy prepackaged items IS DIFFICULT. I think a lot of us have just decided to make our own meals and snacks (although I still eat Luna Bars as a snack and Rice Chex for breakfast).

A lot of people can tolerate the soy cheeses and prepared food, like Amy's Macaroni and Soy Cheeze and Amy's Soy Cheeze Pizza, that contain casein. Unfortunately, I'm not able to, but your daughter might have better luck. IBS can range from mild to severe and some people can tolerate more than others. I'm afraid you'll probably have to do some experimenting before figuring what works and what doesn't. There are also vegan soy and rice cheeses out there - Soya Kaas is one brand that's brought up a lot and doesn't contain casein and Galaxy also has a line of vegan products.

A good spaghetti sauce that doesn't contain HFCS or dairy is Newman's Own Marinara Sauce. This is the only jarred spaghetti sauce that doesn't bother me and tastes really good. Maybe your daughter would like this!

You could try the Amy's Soy Cheeze Pizzas, but I think they're too expensive. If you order out pizza, you could check with the restaurant and see if dairy or HFCS is in the dough and ask if you can order it without cheese. You could also buy frozen pizza dough (which is easier for me than making it) and add your own toppings.

Anyway, I just meant to answer your question about the soy cheese! It's a real pain to have to read labels and it does make shopping trips longer. It's also frustrating when something I've been eating for a while suddenly makes me sick and I find out they changed the ingredients, adding in dairy or HFCS. But it just reminds me to always check the label no matter what.

#265187 - 05/23/06 07:21 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Personally, I'm not a fan of Amy's soy cheese pizza. I think it's kinda gross. But she does have a cheeseless pizza that is okay. I agree, they're kinds pricy. I make my own pizzas at home and they come out great. But I understand that that may be too time consuming for some people with busy things going on. I love to cook so I always find time to spend in the kitchen. Soy-Sation makes a great cheese sub. There are also almonds cheeses and rice cheeses. Mac n Cheese is really easy. Cook some macaroni and add cheese to taste bascially. You can add soy, almond, or rice milk, pepper, salt, anything that makes it a little more tasty. I see that you've already been pointed toward the recipe boards though. I don't know where you are, but if there are Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, or New Seasons near you, you'll be able to find great products there.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 369 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2233

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review