Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
hi i'm new. I'm losing my mind....
      #65387 - 04/27/04 04:55 PM
supersilks

Reged: 04/27/04
Loc: Phoenix, Az

Hi there.
I'm Barb. I'm 38yrs old and a stayhome/work at home mom to three great kids. Chelsey (almost 15), zoey (3.5) and Roman (9months). we're in Phoenix, Arizona. I run a small online business dyeing silks (hence my user name)

I'm not sure I have IBS, but at this point following the IBS diet is keeping me going. I've had what i thought was severe reflux for the past 7 months. I had no medical insurance so went in to one of those pay as you go places. I had an upper GI back in 95 and was told it was reflux...so i was taking reflux meds.
They stopped working and I finally got insurance so i went back in for tests. The lab work came back fine for liver and kidney function. the upper GI came back with no sign of ulcer or hernia. The u/s came back inconclusive - possible gallstones, gastritis - doc said maybe ibs.
They sent me for a ct scan - but never told me that I can't nurse for 48hrs after having it. So i had to refuse the test when i found out as i'm unprepared to wean my 9mo or feed him formula right now and would need time to get him used to a bottle of expressed milk.
I'm going to be finding a new doctors office (my doc was out of town and the covering doctor obviously didn't choose to read my chart and see that i'm a nursing mom before ordering the test...in my opinion thats negligence)... and hopefully we'll finish the tests i'll need to confirm a diagnosis.
Anyway, the point is that so far the only things that don't make me sick are the things on the IBS diet. I've been doing mostly soluble fats and now am adding in things here and there.
I've been pretty much doing: french bread,sourdough,pita, with margarine (that stuff with no hydrogenated oils or lactose), i'm drinking lactaid - dairy free, fat free fake milk (i hate soy and rice milks). I've cut out all cheese except when i can afford almond or soy cheeses and i really am not thrilled with those.
i eat white meat only, no fried foods, no dairy, no caffeine, no chocolate. I pretty much eat alot of bread right now and brown rice. Dinner i do eat meat, some rice or pasta with no sauce and carrots or sweet potato. I'm just learning and reading on here but my family is pretty bored with these bland meals. lol.
I made ground turkey burgers the other night and they were a hit.
i'm a nursing mama and I need some help figuring out what to feed me and my family...
thanks for letting me hang out and learn from you all. I don't know for sure this is IBS but so far from what i've read i'm guessing it is ...

--------------------
~Barb
www.supersilks.com
Everyone deserves silk
I'm the mama. Just the mama. Always the mama.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hey Barb new
      #65400 - 04/27/04 05:36 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Welcome to the boards!

If you do a search on the Recipe Exchange, you should find lots of posts on feeding familys with EFI (Eating For IBS) and easy to make stuff for busy people - we get a lot of posts on this . You can actually use loads of spices and sauces with the diet, you just have to learn what's safe and what's not. Though watch the hot stuff with heartburn/GERDs.

Glad to have you around!

hey there. new
      #65472 - 04/28/04 05:18 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

dying silks? that sounds interesting! who do you sell to?

as for meals, Linz is right- go to the recipe boards. there's tons of stuff there. spice it up a bit as long as your upper GI issues aren't aggravated.

i'm going to do my best to remember to post this chicken/pears/sweet potatoes meal i have (it's good, trust me). i keep forgetting to do that...

could you buy personal sized pizza doughs somewhere and fixins and let everyone make their own little pizza? you could use shreeded soy cheese...

i'll keep thinkin', but check the recipe boards . they're awesome.

do you have Heather's book Eating for IBS? that has a ton of great recipes. your family may like the chocolate peppermint cake (i use almond instead of pepperming, tho, 'cause the peppermint gives me heartburn i bet it would be great with orange, too!) do they like cheesecake? look for pumpkin cheesecake.

Here's a link to the recipe index. (it's also a sticky post at the top of the first page of the recipe boards)

good luck and welcome aboard!

--------------------

breastfeeding and ibs new
      #65520 - 04/28/04 07:33 AM
supersilks

hi
thanks so much for responding - i want to order the book but hubby keeps saying we should wait till we know for sure this is whats going on with my belly. I figure if the diet works, then this is what i'm doing so might as well jump right in. I'm guessing I'll order this weekend after he gets paid so i can start reading.
I'm going to read on the recipe boards now and maybe post a new thread about breastfeeding and ibs. (?)Maybe there is someone else out there dealing with it?
I need to know my babe is getting what he needs...and right now i'm not so sure he is. I'm just getting started so i've been kinda sticking to breads, rice, oatmeal, potatoes etc - just added meat back into dinner time. Trying veggies here and there.
trying to figure out what to do about the whole fruits and veggies thing - I'm going to search about citrus next. I really like oranges. lol
was thinking of going back on prenatal vitamins for his sake.

as for silks... i have a small online store and I sell to anyone who buys! lol. I have a pretty large natural mama community that I hang out on - mothering.com (mothering magazine?) and a few other communities where I advertise to stay home moms and work at home moms( basically hippie moms like me who want natural toys vs plastic, waldorf stuff). Alot of Christian mom friends frequent my site to use the hair silks for head coverings/prayer coverings.
and once in a while I'll post an auction or two on ebay.
It keeps me sane to do something creative/artistic when I have some time. I relieves stress...i swear on the days I fold and dye I generally dont' get sick, its a great stress relief for me.
I have 3 kids of my own and babysit 2 more so time is limited. I try to dye when they nap or at night and on the weekends.
Anyway, i'm rambling here. I did pretty well yesterday with a salad which surprised me - but i ate a piece of pita first so i'm guessing that really helped. And dinner i did a chicken picata kinda thing... brown rice, carrots/peas and chicken that i marinated in fat free vinegrette. I didn't get sick!
so maybe we're slowly getting the hang of this. I've been reading and reading. Am going to buy equalactin today (never heard of it), some herbal teas (water is getting 'old') and baking cocoa cuz now that i know i might be able to bake some cookies and actually eat them without getting sick we're doing it tonight! LOL
i'm so glad to have found you all

--------------------
~Barb
www.supersilks.com
Everyone deserves silk

Re: breastfeeding and ibs new
      #65551 - 04/28/04 08:46 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

We are planning on naming our baby Zoey if it's a girl. We find out in 20 days! I'm positive you will get responses on breastfeeding on the other board. I know there are some that are or have. I breastfeed my first daughter for 8 months and my last daughter for only a couple months. My IBS started days after my youngest daughter's birth. For some reason breastfeeding her didn't work out but it was unrelated to the IBS. BTW, if you are drinking water and taking your prenatal vitamins still your baby will do fine.

Re: breastfeeding and ibs new
      #65577 - 04/28/04 09:24 AM
supersilks

thanks..and Zoe/Zoey is a great name
i stopped taking prenatals, but i'm going to go back on them now that this is flaring up

--------------------
~Barb
www.supersilks.com
Everyone deserves silk

Re: hi i'm new. I'm losing my mind.... new
      #65631 - 04/28/04 11:12 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, Barb! Just wanted to say hi and welcome to the best place on earth!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Oranges new
      #65686 - 04/28/04 12:44 PM
Linz

Oranges are the worst thing for heartburn, I'm afraid! Just don't go there, it ain't worth the pain. Now I'm kinda stable, I can eat satsumas (they're sweeter) after some soluble fibre, but OJ and oranges are still a no-no. Sorry! What about grapes, do you like them?

Oh...cooking citrus fruit (like wrapped up with fish) is fine. I love salmon and lemon slices...yummm!

Zoey new
      #65723 - 04/28/04 02:34 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Aw! You guys picked the cutest names for your kids, Heidi!

- Jennifer

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: Oranges new
      #65822 - 04/28/04 09:38 PM
supersilks

waaah. ok. no oranges. i love blood oranges. what a bummer.
so grapes are ok? no melon i read earlier or strawberries. Someone also said mangos are good... i love dried mangos. are dried fruits ok?

i need to go read more i guess. probably asking thing sthat you guys are tired of repeating
is there a list of safe fruits somewhere?

i've gotta buy the book. lol

oh..and speaking of names, what really stinks is that I named my son Roman thinking I was being unique - and in the past two months Hollywood has turned it into the most popular trendy name they stole my name !?!?

--------------------
~Barb
www.supersilks.com
Everyone deserves silk

Re: hi i'm new. I'm losing my mind.... new
      #65827 - 04/28/04 10:51 PM
Shireen

Reged: 12/17/03

Hi Barb! Sounds like we are in the same boat. I've been through every test with all coming out neg. Which to some people is a good thing, but when you want to understand and help fix or lessen the pain and problems that's not something you want to hear. We are not Hypocondriacts (sp). There is a true problem here. It is hard, because it is not a text book problem that an operation or a pill will fix, all done there you go. We could only wish! My Dr. said basically the same things. Told me to take 8Fiber pills in the AM and 8 in the PM. I do it everyday and it sure helps me. I really thought it was a lot, but it helps so much. I was doing so good for sooo long and lost about 30 lbs, not I have laxed and need to get back with the program. My worst things to give up are Diet Mt. Dew. Cheese on everything. Other than that the dairy is easily gone and the red meat. We didn't eat much red meat at all.
Barb, I am 36, live in Syracuse, Utah. Three kids: Stephanie 14, Chelsea 12, and Ryder is 3. Big age span, but Ryder is from my 2nd marriage. (and last) June 5th will be 5yrs!!!!!
Anyway I hope things work for you and if you ever want to talk: jamesshireen@networld.com
Have a wonderful day!
Shireen

Shireen new
      #65841 - 04/29/04 05:04 AM
Linz

Hey there!

Glad to hear your doc's got you taking a soluble fibre supplement. The reason you're taking so many pills is that only contain a tiny amount each. This is why most of us take a powder supplement - 3 tablespoon doses would give you about the same amount of fibre as all your pills!

Re: Shireen new
      #66334 - 04/30/04 10:39 AM
supersilks

hey guys - so heres another question bout fiber pills/supplements - anyone use ibx soothing bowel formula?
it says" promotes healthy bowel function. releives gas and cramps. reduces abdominal discomfort"
and "for comfort and relief from intestinal distress"
contains:
rhubarb root extract
myrobalan fruit extract
ginger rhizome extract
peppermint (leaf)
elecampane root extract
aloe leaf gel extract
other ingredients:
gelatin, sodium carbonate, calcium carbonate, magnesiaum stearate.
am checking it out cuz i'm breastfeeding
i also bought equalactin off the net so am waiting for that and probably will do that instead.

pkcing up my med records today and finding a new doc next week so we'll see if they do more tests to rule out more stuff.

i'm also journalling everything i eat now to see what is triggering me. cuz sometimes i think i'm doing so well and i'm always so surprised when im' sick.
and why am i always sick at night???

--------------------
~Barb
www.supersilks.com
Everyone deserves silk

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3177 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1412

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review