All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
recipes and almonds
      #78556 - 06/13/04 10:39 AM
hslib

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: VA

I have a question about the recipe board. How do I know if the recipe is ok for people like me with D instead of C? Also, in the past few weeks, after a visit with my Gastro dr., he was a bit concerned that I haven't been able to gain but a couple pounds in about two months. It is really hard for me to gain weight anyway, but the IBS makes it almost impossible. I am really trying to increase my calorie intake but I can't eat dairy, and as most of you I'm sure, I can't eat "fatty" foods. My brother-in-law, who has been through major food allergy issues, suggested almonds as a good source of the good fat and high calories. Would these bother most people with the D form of IBS? Any help with the increase in calories would be greatly appreciated. I tried to increase too many too fast last week, and I have had crampy issues ever since. Please help.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: recipes and almonds new
      #78586 - 06/13/04 01:07 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Nuts are insoluble, so be very careful. The best way to eat them (I think) is to grate them over other, safer foods, like a pasta sauce.

Could you not just eat more carbohydrates (inc. sugar) and protein (chicken/fish)? Pasta and chicken are great for calories.

I put on loads of weight after I discovered safe baking-goods like ADBs!

Re: recipes and almonds new
      #78595 - 06/13/04 01:29 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Yeah nuts are bothersome for a lot of people. It wouldnt be my first suggestion to you at all.
That said, I agree with Linz, up the safe carbs and graze throughout the day - meaning small but frequently amounts of food - it will be more tolerable and add up over the day.
Also, like Linz said there are many baked goods that are DELCIOUS and IBS friendly. I made my first batch of ADB's (AntiDepressant Brownies) two weeks ago. THEY WERE DELICIOUS...havent made any more yet though because I dont need to gain weight myself, hehe. But, anyway check out the Recipe Index where you'll find tons of good food and meal ideas.
The ADB's and RKT's are staples around here.

Enjoy!

Re: Linz new
      #78681 - 06/13/04 05:37 PM
hslib

What exactly are ADBs? I went to the recipe index, but nothing seems to be divided for D vs. C. Maybe I'm not familiar enough with the site. I usually just ask questions here and respond. Can you help?

Re: Linz new
      #78683 - 06/13/04 05:40 PM
ibsgrl

ADB's are the yummy antidepressant brownies. click here: web page
The recipe isn't divided into C/D because these recipes are suitable for EVERYONE (provided they can personally tolerate all the ingredients in the recipe). Hope that helps, let me know

Re: thanks ibsgrl new
      #78685 - 06/13/04 05:47 PM
hslib

Thanks for the help. If chocolate bothers me, would the brownies? Or is there something different about the ingredients that makes it ok? I feel so limited in what I can eat to gain weight. I am really looking for high calorie "good fat" foods (like I'm sure everyone who has lost a lot of weight from IBS is). It seems really difficult to find things. I was a bit overwhelmed by the recipe board and didn't know where to start, but I guess I should just choose some things that sound like they would be ok. Thanks so much for your help and clarification.

Re: thanks ibsgrl new
      #78691 - 06/13/04 05:51 PM
ibsgrl

Nope, chocolate likely bothers you due to the dairy and high fat content. In this recipe, no butter is used, and only the whites of the egg are. Cocoa is used for the chocolately flavour (with the added sugar and applesauce) which is why they are completely IBS safe! Try a batch they are addictive!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1691 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 741

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review