All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
SKIPPING MEALS
      #48867 - 03/09/04 05:17 AM
bj

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Loganville, GA

I have been dx with IBS d-d, i have not been eating breakfast nor lunch for the last yr b/c of worried about having attacks at work. How do I ease into breakfast and lunch? I have ordered the IBS books but they wont be here for another 5 days and I am really looking forward to having some normal days. thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: SKIPPING MEALS new
      #48872 - 03/09/04 06:01 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

Hey, I am feelin' ya, here. I have spent too many work days not at my desk!

Try small small small quantities of rice pudding for breakfast, but use soy milk instead of regular milk. Or you could go with my old stand-by: baggies of dried cereal. I eat Kix and Crispex ('cause I don't have wheat), but I believe Cheerios work fine, too. Another thing I've been eating in the morning (and I find it really filling) is cream of rice. It's not exactly a dance for the tastebuds, but I know I can eat it when I'm really sick and not get worse! Try plain oatmeal, too. For flavor you could stir in some really finely chopped-up strawberries. Bananas are fairly safe for most of us, too!

As for lunch, try rice there, too. Or pasta with some herbs. With either, you can toss in some chicken (not cooked with much oil! try baked?) and some really finely chopped veggies (or skip it if you're nervous... for now!). Let's see... when I was first starting the diet and trying to stabilize, I also greatly abused the baked potato! Took a while to get used to it without sour cream, but now I put a little salt and pepper on it and toss on some shreeded soy cheese and I'm good to go! Nice and stable to eat. No problemo!

There are TONS of other things to eat, but I think since you are combatting not only the IBS but the fear of an attack, too, for your own peace of mind try rice-based stuff and other "proven" safe foods.

Have you read through this section yet: How to eat for IBS? There are links there to What to eat when you can't eat anything. That's a good place to start while you wait for your books. It's got some of the things I mentioned, plus others. They have proved out to be "safe" for a lot of IBSers. Even if you're not in a flare-up, they're good for peace of mind, like I mentioned before. I always go back to them if I'm unsure of my surroundings, 'cause I know they won't betray me!

Just take it slow and build your confidence over time... but you've gotta eat! Remember, too, to stick to small quantities and more frequent eating. You could be getting sick 'cause you don't have enough in your poor system, enough of the time! Snack on Kix! Eat a banana from time to time! Just make sure you're eating, you poor thing!

Good luck!!!

--------------------

#48875 - 03/09/04 06:22 AM
bj

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Loganville, GA

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP! I WILL TRY THIS ON THE WEEKEND AND SEE HOW IT GOES FIRST BEFORE I TRY IT OUT AT WK. THANKS AGAIN!!!!

HA! new
      #48876 - 03/09/04 06:25 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

I was just rereading my post to see if I had much else to add...

I have NO idea what "shreeded soy cheese" is!

--------------------

Light meal ideas new
      #48878 - 03/09/04 06:29 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

You're very smart to start eating breakfast and lunch... skipping meals is not good! Personally, I love baking up safe quick breads and muffins and having those on hand for breakfast. Give me a muffin and a hot mug of peppermint tea and I'm a happy girl. Plus the muffins are small enough that they're a very light breakfast, which settles best with me. You can find some great IBS safe breads and muffins on the Recipe Index.

As for lunch, I'm a big fan of half a turkey sandwich with some apple cinnamon Quakes (mini rice cakes... crispy and delicious!), baked potato chips, or pretzels. Turkey is just about the safest lunchmeat, and it's also pretty light on the tummy.

Some other ideas for light meals are english muffins (make sure they're dairy-free), toast, and sliced bananas sprinkled with sugar and covered with vanilla soy or rice milk. As for cereals, Jen mentioned some good ones. I also like Honeycombs (very light) and cocoa puffs. I hope you find something that works out well for you!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: HA! new
      #48879 - 03/09/04 06:30 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Quote:

I was just rereading my post to see if I had much else to add...

I have NO idea what "shreeded soy cheese" is!

LOL! Sounds yummy Jen.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#49023 - 03/09/04 01:24 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Great ideas, Jen. Thanks from me too! (and I love the snail!)

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3964 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 684

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review