All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Newbie with questions!
      #368134 - 08/31/12 01:13 PM
KayKay

Reged: 08/31/12

Hi,My name is Karen and I was recently diagnosed with IBS.My problems include lots of gas,abdominal cramping,urgency and loose stool.Two days ago I began taking Elavil and wonder if anyone here has any experience with it. Two weeks ago I began low FODMAP diet and inexplicably got worse! Had diareah every night and morning for the first week. Things had settled down the last few days and was actually a little constipated. Then today I'm having a bit of loose stools again! I'm thinking it's because I ate a fair amount of chocolate yesterday and a little almond butter. I'm reading Heather's book and want to start this diet. I'm planning on slowly adding the FODMAP's while eating more soluble fiber. I am a bit confused as far as oatmeal goes. I usually eat Bob's Red Mill GF oats every day and noticed that it has much more insoluble than soluble fiber.Is it okay to eat? Also,I'm a vegan and would love any meal and snack ideas. Normally I have things like bean burritos(with brussel sprouts and brocolli on the side!) and Larabars for snacks. Obviously not the best things for IBS!Oh,one more thing,does anyone not have a problem with solid chocolate? I'll be soo sad if I have to give it up Thanks for any help! Karen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Newbie with questions! new
      #368135 - 08/31/12 02:50 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

It might be best to stick with an oatmeal that has equal amounts of soluble and insoluble fiber like Old Fashion Quaker Oats. Some brands include some of the bran just so that it is healthy for individuals with normal bowels. Unfortunately for us it acts like a GI stimulant.

I have one square of 80% or more dark chocolate every evening. Too much can be a problem.

I find a low FODMAP diet without paying attention to insoluble fiber, fat and a variety of other well-known trigger foods does not work as well as one might expect. In particular, for me a low insoluble fiber content as well as low FODMAP works best.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#368138 - 09/01/12 09:38 AM
KayKay

Thanks Syl! I have to eat gluten free oats because I'm gluten intolerant.I'll have to look for some with a better soluble/insoluble ratio.I was also wondering what people put on their pasta.If margarine,oil,etc can cause issues but tomatoes,onion and garlic can as well what can I use?

#368140 - 09/01/12 10:19 AM
Syl

Check the recipe exchange. If you are gluten intolerant presumably you use a wheat free pasta.

Have you been tested for celiac disease? As you likely know there is a great deal of controversy surrounding the notion of gluten intolerance without celiac diseases. For example, it is easily confused with problems with the FODMAPs in wheat.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#368141 - 09/01/12 01:40 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

Hi Karen and welcome!

I took Elavil long ago, and it was one of the better meds for my severe IBS-D - It was quite helpful for a while, it eased up my IBS-D somewhat, but over time, my symptoms became worse again. I was on many diets and medications over the course of about 17 years or so. After desparation, I looked into brain-gut aspects of the condition, and used clincial hypnotherapy program featured here and this was helpful to me - I am able to eat chocolate of any kind and have no major food restrictions.

The FODMAP diet and Heather's diet has been extremely helpful and life-changing for many folks, but everyone has to find their own way!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask - always happy to help.

More info in the link below! All the best - there IS hope!

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

#368144 - 09/02/12 09:57 AM
KayKay

Yes,I use brown rice pasta.I tested negative for celiac several years ago but had heard that the tests aren't 100 percent accurate.Desperate to feel better,I figured I'd give up gluten for a few days and see what happened. I felt soo much better within days that a stuck with it(I also had issues like mood swings,all over achiness and extreme fatigue that went away) A year later one of my brothers tested positive for celiac.Knowing it's genetic,this makes me wonder if I do have it.

#368145 - 09/02/12 10:05 AM
Syl

Even though celiac disease has predisposition that can transmitted genetically it may not be expressed until one or more environmental factors triggers its appearance. The blood test can be inaccurate but an endoscopy is the gold-standard method for determining if one has celiac disease. A biopsy is taken during the procedure. It is 100% accurate. It might be worth while having an endoscopy to get a firm diagnosis.

--------------------

#368146 - 09/03/12 07:08 AM
averyclaire

Reged: 02/28/12
Loc: Illinois

Speaking of firm diagnosis....I had no luck with trying different diets. I had myself tested for food sensitivities through a mail order lab. Found I was sensitive to corn and corn products, ALL meats, tuna, night shade plants. I eat homemade (Specific Carbohydrate diet lactose free) yogurt with berries for breakfast, or oatmeal, salads for lunch and fish and veggies for dinner. I take Heathers Fiber powder religiously to stave off the constipation and have had GREAT success with remission. (I take NO meds.) Several of my friends have had the testing done. We all tested differently, but all of us are doing well now. They say if we can stay off the trigger foods for a year or so, we could go into a long term remission. Bless you and good luck with your program.

Averyclaire
IBS-C

#368147 - 09/03/12 09:58 AM
Syl

Welcome to the board,

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, there are no reliable tests for food sensitivities. This is may be why your friends had different results; you might expect a little bit of commonality. There are test for food allergies. The only reliable approach to determine food sensitivities is to use an elimination diet. Or follow a diet like Heather's diet and/or the clinically tested FODMAP diet discussed in the first two links in my signature.

You might read the excellent article on the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America web site titled The Specific Carbohydrate Diet: Does It Work?

Good luck

--------------------

#368151 - 09/03/12 02:40 PM
KayKay

Hi Marilyn,I read your story and it's really inspiring! I ordered the hypnotherapy program yesterday and can't wait to start!Do you mean that this long after completing the hynotherapy you don't have to follow any special diet? No increasing soluble fiber on watching out for FODMAPS?

#368153 - 09/06/12 06:54 AM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

That is correct - no special diets or forbidden/trigger foods since successful completion of the IBS Audio Program hypnotherapy - many of the folks I speak with are no longer on special IBS diets. Some people do continue with diets - everyone is different. It is suggested that if you are on a restrictive diet, to continue, and then gradually reintroduce foods into your diet after completion of the program.

However, true food allergies and insensitivities are not IBS, but result in IBS symptoms when these foods are eaten. Once the offending foods are removed from the diet, symptoms are removed. In my own situation, I removed foods from my diet one by one until at one point I was basically down to crackers and water and still had symptoms, so in my case, it was not about the food/diet, but the brain-gut connection. Everyone needs to seek out the way that is best for them - and for those still suffering after trying various diets, the FODMAP, etc. then this is something that can be helpful.

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 869 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5646

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review