All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
To all that replied to CONFUSED!!!
      #316304 - 10/08/07 08:39 PM
haleym

Reged: 10/07/07

thank you so much for your reply. yeah i think i need to just try not to freak about the 3lbs i have gained in the 4 days on this. like i said i am going from no carbs for almost 3 years to now adding what society says are the "worst" kind.....ok i think i will be ok if my day look something like this...a benefiber pill first thing

Breakfast: wheatfree toaster waffles with 1 tbs on all natural pb on it
snack: maybe a luna bar or a few rice cakes
lunch: white rice and some grilled chicken
snack: carrot sticks
dinner: some eggwhites in a low carb-(whitw) tortilla
does that look like Im following it pretty much?
honestly for me right now, i cannot fathom eating very many carbs after 4pm...i have to take this eating so many carbs slow or i will have even more anxiety than i do about all this but i also want to actually be doing it ya know....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: To all that replied to CONFUSED!!! new
      #316323 - 10/09/07 09:44 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

No, you need to start including a lot more IF (insoluble fiber) some vegetables with your meals. The all SF/break the cycle plan is only for the first couple of days.

Some tips:
Try adding some pureed fruit or applesaunce to your waffles or yogurt. Other ideas: Oatmeal (which contains a good balance of IF and SF) with applesauce or toast; eggs whites in a tortilla with chopped mangoes as a side.

At lunch, include some steamed, chopped veggies -- like carrots, squash, artichokes, peas, mushrooms, beets, etc. OR you could also eat a small salad after you eat your chicken and rice.

There's a cheat sheet available that lists SF foods, IF foods, and triggers to avoid: IBS Diet Cheat Sheet .

Same with dinner -- you can add some mashed beans and/or salsa, soy sour cream, slice of avocado, small amount of chopped tomatoes and onions (might want to wait until you're stable), shredded almond cheese (or soy cheese, these usually contain casein (milk protein) but that isn't a problem for most people).

Other healthy snacks: soy yogurt, carrots dipped in hummus, turkey jerky, some soy sour cream in a hot corn tortilla, chocolate almond milk (my favorite).

It looks like you understand needing a good SF base, but you're missing out on including IF. There are a ton of healthy, tasty recipes on the recipe board. I don't quite understand how you could be gaining weight if you're consuming the same amount of calories? Could it be water weight since you should also be consuming a lot of liquid (water, teas, etc)? Are you on an exercise plan (check out the fitness board)?

HTH! Best of luck to you! Oh, and welcome to the boards.

Re: To all that replied to CONFUSED!!! new
      #316324 - 10/09/07 09:44 AM
IBSHell

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Connecticut

Depending on how you're feeling, that's a good way to start. If your stomach has settled down by now, then you should add back in some SF. Take what you were used to eating and try to modify it to be safer. Say if you ate really hearty 12 grain bread, try to find a bread that maybe has whole wheat and white flour or oat flour and see how you do.

It's all about experimentation. The goal is not to eat a ton of carbs forever. It's to have them as a base in order to eat other things. So maybe starting out, you would need to eat a cup of rice to feel allright and eat your chicken and veggies. But as time goes along and you increase your fiber supplement, you might only need 1/2 c.

I think you're doing a good job. Don't forget to drink a lot of water. The 3 lb. weight gain is scary, but it doesn't mean its going to continue either.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6405 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 880

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review