All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Still not Stable need help
      #292772 - 12/07/06 06:44 AM
bbgem1

Reged: 11/27/06
Loc: Pennsylvania

I have IBS-C and have been using Heather's Tummy fiber 6 tsp daily for weeks now along with 4-6 benenfiber a day. 2 Zelnorm, 2 stool softener 1.5 mg Lexapro. I've been following Heathers diet with minimal deviation sometimes I have a cup of coffee or an iced tea not decaf daily. I still need to use suppositories or laxitives leaving me feeling whiped out when I use them. Especially the laxative because after I take a laxative I get horrible diarrhea not to mention the worst gas ever imaginable! This is a terrible terrible disease no one should have to live with this daily suffering. Please help! Be honest if it's the coffee or tea I'll quit it. I just can't believe that one or 2 drinks daily of coffee or tea reek that much havoic on my system. When I'm 41 years old and have been drinking them most of my life.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Still not Stable need help (IBS-C) new
      #292795 - 12/07/06 08:22 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

You won't know if the caffeine is bothering you that much unless you try going without it. Sorry.

The other thing is to be sure that you're getting enough IF along with the SF to cushion it. The SF will keep things calm, the IF will help get them moving.

More importantly, if you're taking Zelnorm and stool softeners and still need additional help from laxatives and suppositories, you might want to talk to your doctor. That seems like an awful lot of medicine to be giving you so little help.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Still not Stable need help (IBS-C) new
      #292798 - 12/07/06 08:36 AM
bbgem1

Thank you I appreciate your thoughts.

Re: Still not Stable need help new
      #292807 - 12/07/06 09:01 AM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

Are you getting enough IF? I'm C, too, and really have to watch the amount of IF I eat. It's so much easier to stick with safe, SF foods, but those don't get things moving.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

Re: Still not Stable need help new
      #292811 - 12/07/06 09:13 AM
bbgem1

I'm not sure if I'm getting enough IF what would be considered enough?

So many problems here... new
      #292825 - 12/07/06 12:03 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Yes, it really can be the coffee and/or tea. Quit both IMMEDIATELY.

Don't use laxatives. I know, you're thinking that's easy for me to say, but seriously... more harm than good, I tell you. You can get dependent on laxatives VERY quickly - if you aren't already, which you might well be - and then it's very, very difficult to get your system right again.

If you have anxiety or depression, and you're only on 1.5mg Lexapro, you might need a serious increase. I'm on 20mg Lexapro daily, and anxiety is such a huge trigger for me that I'm not stable without the daily pill.

I'm assuming you're following the diet otherwise... you should definitely be increasing insoluble fiber on a regular and steady basis. I know the emphasis of the diet is on soluble fiber, but you also need to work towards eating as much insoluble as you can on a daily basis - important for good health, especially for C'ers. It's also important that you avoid other triggers, such as red meat, dairy, and high-fat foods. It doesn't matter how old you are, or how long you ate them without problems prior to this - they ARE a problem now.

What else... oh yes. It takes patience. I followed the diet for over a year *religiously*, no cheats, before I was stable. Don't get discouraged, though - the end result is well worth the effort, I promise.

Getting off laxatives... new
      #292837 - 12/07/06 01:02 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

You might take a look at the June 7, 2005, and June 22, 2005, IBS Newsletters. Heather has advice specifically for IBS-Cs including tips on getting yourself off laxatives and getting enough IF.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Everything she said and, it took me 2 years to get stable. It takes time, don't give up on it. n/t new
      #292871 - 12/07/06 04:09 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: Getting off laxatives... new
      #292946 - 12/08/06 08:22 AM
bbgem1

Thank you for all your help!

Re: So many problems here... new
      #292952 - 12/08/06 09:08 AM
bbgem1

Yes there are so many problems here! I quit the coffee and tea as of today. I have a headache but that is mild compared to the IBS-C symptoms. I also talked to the Dr. this morning he switched me to another IBS-C pill something beginning with an A he told me to stay on the fiber, stool softners and probotic along with drinking plenty of fluids I appreciate your help hopefully I'll be feeling better soon

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2635 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3139

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review