All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
safe vegetables?
      #289924 - 11/13/06 02:00 PM
hazelnut

Reged: 11/13/06

Hi all,

I've just discovered the site and have been following Heather's diet for about two weeks. I'm finding myself avoiding vegetables like the plague because they always upset me, and since I'm in college, the dining halls don't give much of a choice of safe vegetables. (weirdly, raw carrots, one thing we always have, upset me terribly). What do people generally find to be the most tolerable vegetables? I get the sense from the diet that most cooked vegetables are safe, but I'm still scared of things like cooked spinach because I always react badly. (I have alternating C-D IBS). Any consensus on what the most mild vegetables are?

Thanks!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: safe vegetables? new
      #289930 - 11/13/06 02:25 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Like you with your dining hall I have a problem finding vegetables to eat when I travel. I find that the two most commonly available vegetables that I can find almost anywhere and at any time are boiled carrots and baked potatoes.

Generally speaking I only eat boiled or well steamed vegetables. I cannot eat such things as boiled spinach or beet tops. They contain just too much IF for me.

Other vegetables that I eat are parsnips, beets, young green/yellow string beans, some kinds of squash, sweet potatoes and sometimes peas.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#289944 - 11/13/06 04:37 PM
Smiling Strange

Reged: 07/13/06
Loc: Florida, USA

For me, the safest vegetables are the ones that seem easily mash-able. While things like spinach, lettuce, etc. are not easily mashed, things like cooked squashes, sweet potatoes, etc. are, and those tend not to upset my stomach nearly as much. I also have alternating D and C IBS. If your dining hall doesn't offer many safe things, can you get a hot plate or microwave to steam/cook safe veggies? I'm also in college, and although I live in an apartment and not a dorm, I often have a sweet potato cooked in the microwave for a quick lunch or side dish. Sweet potatoes are packed with nutrition, taste good (especially with cinnamon and a touch of honey!) and seem to be easy on the stomach. Good luck!

#289949 - 11/13/06 05:04 PM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Hi, I have been following the IBS guidelines since August and so far I have introduced steamed zuchinni (skin on but I steam it to be very soft), cooked baby carrots, SWEET POTATOE (lots), potatoes, squash - so far that is all that I have introduced for veggies. Debbie IBS-A

#289956 - 11/13/06 06:18 PM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

I'm also A, and I seem to do okay with most of the cooked vegetables I've tried, as long as I eat them with a decent helping of SF (winter squash and potatoes count as SF, by the way). So far, I've had peppers, onions, carrots, mushrooms, peas, corn, a little bit of green beans, some cauliflower, and a small amount of broccoli with no ill effects. I had trouble with cabbage, though.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#289960 - 11/13/06 06:32 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I'm IBS-A and I do okay with cooked carrots, squash, potatoes, green beans and some peas (not alot).

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#289975 - 11/13/06 08:37 PM
hazelnut

Reged: 11/13/06

thanks for the responses, everyone! the vegetables most people listed are basically the ones i've been eating. I do have a kitchen, actually, so I can cook my own vegetables; but since I have to have a dining plan and use up the money, I was hoping I was overlooking some vegetables that might be ok for me. But I guess I'll stick with my microwaved sweet potatoes and peas.

#289980 - 11/13/06 11:31 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

I would be more concerned with how the veggies are prepared than with what the veggies are. The safest things to eat are soluble fiber (SF) like white rice, baked potato, safe bread, sweet potato, carrots, zucchini, yellow squash, etc. If eaten with a larger portion of SF, many other insoluble fiber (IF) veggies should be okay, too, in moderation.

The trouble you might run into is fat. If the carrots are cooked in a tub of butter, it won't matter that they are a "safe" veggie because the fat content will make you go. I would stick with getting your veggies from your own kitchen, unless you know how the dining hall veggies are prepared. You might contact the dining hall manager and speak with him/her about your needs in order to find out how they prepare their veggies and what foods might be safe for you there.

Also, print out Heather's cheat sheet for a handy reference whenever you're wondering if a food is safe or not.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 311 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2128

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review