All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Need Answers PLEASE !!!!!!!!!
      #284118 - 09/27/06 07:02 AM
Abigail

Reged: 03/12/05
Loc: Orlando,FL

I took Miralax this morning for the first time. The bottle says to take it with an 8oz of water, but I took with LOTS of water, LOTS more...Is the Miralax still going to work for me if I keep taking with LOTS of water??? or Is that going to change the outcome??? Please, I want/need it to work, I want to know if I'm doing ok by taking with LOTS of more water than just the 8oz. When should I expect the Miralax to start working? I would like to hear about all of you that take Miralax and your experiences PLEASE!!! I never taken anything prescription meds before today. I want to make things better not worst.

I was also given Levbid yesterday but for the first time, but I didn't take it yet. I need help with the pain, cramps and IE, but don't want C to get worst. My question is: Can I prevent/avoid the C side effect from Levbid if I take it together with Miralax???

How is Zelnrom different from Miralax??? Which one is better for long term?

Please reply as soon as possible, I really NEED the HELP, more than I can say. PLEASE, I REALLY NEED ANSWERS ASAP !!! ADVICE, HELP, SUPPORT AND ENCOURIGING WORDS ALWAYS APPRECIATED.
Thank you so much ALWAYS!!!

Blessings,
Abi

--------------------
The joy of the Lord is my strength !

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

bump! new
      #284165 - 09/27/06 10:59 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I wish I could help, but I've never taken any of that stuff, so I really can't... so I'm replying to bump it, in hopes of other people seeing it. Good luck!

Re: Need Answers PLEASE !!!!!!!!! new
      #284167 - 09/27/06 11:13 AM
ECM

Reged: 08/23/06
Loc: Jasper, GA

I am new to message boards but have been reading your posts. I have been newly diagnoised with IBS-C. In answer to your question about Miralax, I take a cap full in 8 oz of water every night for C. I have a BM evry morning now. I drink lots of water all day long. I have been following Heather's Diet for a Month & a half now. I have some "good" days & "bad" days as far as the pain. Everyday is different. I hope to get off the Miralax in the future, but for now, I will stay on it. - I will post more later because I want to thank Sandi for her response to the SF VS ISF, but I will go more into that later. - Snookie

--------------------
Snookie, IBS-C

#284168 - 09/27/06 11:16 AM
Sassi0619

Reged: 01/06/06
Loc: Vermont

I don't think it matters how much liquid you put it in as long as it is at least 8 oz. of water. I take it with my tea each night and that is probably 12 oz. They say to try it for at least a month, so it could take up to that long to have the full effect.

It is my understanding that Miralax is totally different than Zelnorm.

And yes, the Miralax should help if there is a c effect with the other medicine you were prescribed.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

#284198 - 09/27/06 02:13 PM
Abigail

Thank you guys for your replies and bump!!! I notice that you guys take Miralax always at night time, before bed, but my doc said to take it first thing in the morning. Which on is better, night or morning and why??? Is it ok to keep taking Miralax plus a stool softener like Colace daily? Hope to hear more from more of you guys that can share your experiences with Miralax and Levbid as well....THANK YOU FROM MY HEART!!!

Blessings,
Abi

--------------------

Re: bump! new
      #284199 - 09/27/06 02:14 PM
Abigail

Casey, thank you for the bump, you are so sweet and kind

A big thank you hug and blessings always,
Abi

--------------------

#284201 - 09/27/06 02:51 PM
MaryABR

Reged: 07/24/06
Loc: Stafford, Virginia

Abigail,
I've taken both, and neither medication is supposed to be used for the long term. I recently started taking Miralax and my doctor had me taking it 2x a day. Miralax took about five days for me to have a BM and it really changed the constency. It's supposed to be a gentle laxative. I also drank it with plenty of water so that shouldn't be a problem for you.

Miralax is absolutely different than Zelnorm. I've had better results with Zelnorm, but still not GOOD results. With Zelnorm, you at least have some normal BM. With Miralax, I feel like I've never had a complete evacuation.

Whatever you take, I would recommend you limit how long you take these medications. Miralax will definately make your system lazy.

i thought you were doing well with ... new
      #284215 - 09/27/06 06:50 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i thought you were doing well with the increased IF, nuts and seeds and flax etc, but i guess you are having some bad times with taking all these meds and such.
Good luck with them, i hope they work the way you need them too.

#284241 - 09/28/06 06:53 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm a little out of my element here (I'm a D), but my understanding is that Zelnorm is an actual drug that somehow works "behind the scenes" to change your bowel function, while Miralax is an osmotic laxative. That is, Miralax draws water into your bowel to soften your stool. Given this, the more the merrier as far as water is concerned when taking Miralax.

Levbid is an anti-spasmodic. If your constipation and pain are being caused by your colon spasming, this should help. Because it relaxes the smooth muscles, though, I've seen some C's say it makes them more constipated. I assume this is because they also have problems with their colon's muscle function. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way for you to know for yourself without trying it. I would think that what you want is enough to stop the spasming but not so much you slow the colon function.

Peppermint is a natural anti-spasmodic. If you don't have reflux, you might try that. As a hot tea it's wonderfully soothing and, unlike anti-spasmodics, it doesn't have side-effects.

I know Zelnorm is a short-term drug (although I think you can go off for a while, then on again), but I've seen posts from C's that Miralax is something you should be able to use for a long time. Because it doesn't force your bowels to do anything they don't want to, but simply sits there and draws in water, the theory is that it has no long-term detrimental effects. I'd do a Search on the Diet Board for Miralax with no time limit and see what people have said in the past - you should get a lot of hits. If I remember correctly, emcmaster in particular posted a fair amount about it.

Part of the role of Soluble Fiber is like that of Miralax - to draw water into the bowel. Laying down a good amount of Soluble Fiber, especially taking an SFS, should also help with the pain and cramping since it should keep your colon gently full making it harder for it to twist on itself. I don't know what "IE" is, so I can't comment on that.

You've probably already seen this, but if not take a look at the June 7 and June 22, 2005, Newsletters for some specific advice on dealing with constipation in the context of the EFI Diet.

I hope this helps and I wish you all the best. If you're looking for encouragement, you might keep an eye out AstroChick's posts - or check her old ones. You might also take a look at this old thread, from a C who has done very well using the EFI Diet alone.

HTH. Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Miralax vs Zelnorm new
      #284332 - 09/28/06 11:20 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Miralax works in a completely different manner than Zelnorm. Miralax works in a similar manner to milk of magnesia. It is an osmotic laxative that work by drawing water into the bowel from the surrounding tissue.

Zelnorm works on a biochemical pathway (seritonin) affecting nerves that change the peristaltic action (contractions) of the bowel.
http://www.helpforibs.com/footer/zelnorm.asp#well

Neither one is recommended for long term use.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6618 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6991

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review