All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How best to gain weight while frequently nauseous?
      #283485 - 09/21/06 05:39 PM
ariel1

Reged: 09/18/06

This is the first time I have ever tried to use a message board,so I'm not even sure if I'm doing it right...I've just been diagnosed with IBS-D and have been so sick for 2 months.I normally weigh 110 to 115 and am now at 95.I started following the IBS diet 5 days ago and have seen a big improvement(still some frequency but no diarrhea).A big problem right now is that I have no appetite and feel nauseous most of the time...I'm forcing myself to eat but it's an ordeal.Any suggestions on what to try???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Ah, I went through this... new
      #283504 - 09/21/06 10:22 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

First of all, welcome to the boards. Second, hang in there - it gets better, I swear.

It's going to sound like the worst thing in the world, but the best way to combat nausea is to make sure your stomach's never really empty. Eat small meals and snacks, as often as you can work into your schedule. When I was first recovering, I ate every hour. Trying to eat larger meals, to get more calories in, is counterproductive, though - it's harder to digest, it can aggravate IBS, and you'll generally just feel like crap.

It's also going to be easier to eat if it's tasty stuff. I swore by quick breads in the beginning - banana bread and peppermint fudge cake were the best. You can find the recipes on this page.

Something else that might help you is ginger. Ginger is notoriously good for nausea, and I really found it helpful. Go as strong as you can with it - tea is good, strong ginger candies are better, candied ginger is the best yet. If you can't hack the taste, try ginger capsules - your health food store should carry them.

Good luck!

Re: Ah, I went through this... new
      #283583 - 09/22/06 02:45 PM
ariel1

Reged: 09/18/06

Thank you so much for the suggestions..by eating the suggested safe foods on the diet, I've been pretty pleased with the progress re the D, but I'm just always nauseous and feel so full whenever I eat..I'm going to try the ginger tonight...do you eat it before meals or throughout the day? how much?...thanks again!

Re: How best to gain weight while frequently nauseous? new
      #283585 - 09/22/06 03:17 PM
Langgang

Reged: 06/25/06
Loc: Sedalia, MO

Casey is exactly right. Things WILL get better. I'm going through what you are right now (I was diagnosed in April & lost 15 lbs. the first week from not eating.) I am following Heather's diet also and things were really good over the summer. Now I'm in the midst of a major attack due to stressful situations in our family. I have lost another 10 lbs during the last 2 weeks, which puts me at 110. I haven't weighed that since before all my kids were born! Feeling nauseous isn't a good feeling - do you just suffer through it & go about your normal day? I've never been good at dealing with stomach problems and have gotten worse since IBS has come into my life. I am going to try the ginger also. Hope it works for you and hope you get feeling better soon.

--------------------
Robin
IBS-A

#283592 - 09/22/06 05:16 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Count me as another person who went through phases of nausea with IBS. I second Casey's recommendation of ginger, and I've also found that peppermint tea with sugar in it also helps. Long term, exercise really helped me beat back my nausea - something about exerting myself really makes me feel human again.

Nibble, sip, and comfort yourself with the knowledge that this too will pass. And that it sucks, and a lot of us know just how much it sucks!

--AC

#283593 - 09/22/06 05:29 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i had really good results controlling and getting over my nausea with traditional chinese medicine and acupuncture, now i rarely get it, the main thing though is to eat little bits at a time and just keep doing it until you feel better, when my stomach is empty i get nauseaus and even if i don't feel hungry if i force myself to eat i usually feel better afterwards, weird how that goes, but it is what it is. Candied giner or ginger tea help alot, there is also the homeopathic remedy nux vomica that can help.
hope you feel better soon.

Re: Ah, I went through this... new
      #283595 - 09/22/06 05:43 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Well, I had nausea REALLY bad - constantly, it seemed - so I nibbled or sipped on something ginger probably a couple times a day. I used to just eat a piece or two of candied ginger, or a few Ginger Chews (look for those, and the hard candy GinGins, at your health food store). Ginger tea with (or right after) meals might be a good thing too, since ginger will help with digestion. Capsules I couldn't help with; I've never taken them.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3039 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 936

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review