All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Popcorn?
      #235229 - 01/02/06 03:37 PM
Emily H.

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Luxembourg, LU

So, I know Butter Lover's is probably not a good idea, but I was wondering if low-fat, dairy-free popcorn is inherently bad? I remember seeing posts that recommend not eating it, but I was never really sure why. Is it the IF? I'm (mostly) a C, so I wouldn't be too worried about that, but if there's anything else I'll stay away.

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Popcorn? new
      #235241 - 01/02/06 04:42 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

It is very IF and the hulls and skins and all that would be very hard for some people to digest. People's tolerance for IF varies though.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#235333 - 01/03/06 06:56 AM
rn21666

Reged: 09/01/05
Loc: Maryland

I can eat about 2-3 handfuls of "movie night popcorn" with no problems. Give it a try with just a little. It is defintely a nice treat that my husband and I can sit and watch a movie together while eating popcorn and drinking my digestive enzymes.

#235342 - 01/03/06 08:06 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

It depends on the person. I'm IBS-C, and even a tiny amount gives me nasty cramps (and no D to relieve it). There have been times in my life I've been able to tolerate it though.

I think baked potato chips would be a safer way to get something crunchy.

--AC

#235533 - 01/03/06 05:56 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

When I was younger, I didn't understand why I got a stomach ache every time I ate popcorn and coca-cola. I could have each one separately and be fine, but having them both at the same time was a no no.

Weirdly enough I'm okay with it! new
      #235551 - 01/04/06 01:26 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Which is strange as I'm usually sensitive to IF. Obviously don't ever eat lots of it tho....the portions at the cinema are insane.

Re: Popcorn alternatives new
      #235644 - 01/04/06 11:35 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Have you ever tried organic puffed corn cakes? I think Lundenburg makes them. I've seen them at the HFS with the other rice cakes. They have the crunch without some of the major triggers, i.e. hulls/kernals.

Puffed corn cereal (i.e. Nature's Path) is also an unsweetened puffed corn cereal--no salt, no sugar. You could create a great snack mix with them with herbs, salt, seasonings etc. kind of like Heather's Chex Snack mix.

Kate, IBS-D.

#235665 - 01/04/06 12:56 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Like Linz, I can eat popcorn with no problem (when I'm stable!) - very strange because I'm a D and you'd think the IF would kill me. As with most IF, it goes down more easily with a little SF to prime the pump.

Here's what Heather says about popcorn and why it's unsafe: New Way To Eat, about 9 paragraphs down. I respect Heather's opinions a great deal, but I suspect she's not someone who understands the great intrinsic value of popcorn.

There are hull-less popcorns that might be safer. You can take a look at this thread for some info and I'm pretty sure it's come up in other threads as well if you want to Search.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#235708 - 01/04/06 03:24 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

The puffy part is soluble fibre, the kernel is insoluble. It's one of my deadliest triggers - I dare not touch it. Not even a mouthful. Just goes to show everyone's different and can tolerate different things.
An interesting sideline - someone once found hulless popcorn - which should be safe.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Disappear for a few days... new
      #235773 - 01/04/06 06:14 PM
Emily H.

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Luxembourg, LU

...and see how much advice I get! Thanks, all. I guess the consensus is: get some plain ol' unflavored popcorn, air pop it and feed it to the D-almost-H while stealing a few handfuls. He loves it, and if I steal a little I can test my tolerance without feeling like I'm wasting food.

Hull-less popcorn...interesting. I'll have to check that out.

Cheers,
Em

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2569 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1288

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review