All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I broke the cycle! What now?
      #199386 - 07/26/05 08:16 AM
professor

Reged: 07/19/05
Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Yesterday. Did not go at all. Had all the safe foods. Took one tea spoon of Benefiber in the morning and one before bed time.

This morning, started with one tea spoon of Benefiber and half a dose of Imodium. Took some peppermint tea with Heather's banana bread, my tummy growled a little and I felt a mild cramp, then I ate my oatmeal and everything when completly back to normal (think I should have to oatmeal before the bread tomorrow). After breakfast, when to the bathroom and had a very firm stool after some effort.
I think i'm switching to C mode now. So, the danger game starts for me now. Where do I go from here? Are the fruit breads ok? What is the best IF to start with? What do you think about a microwaved tilapia fish? I'm so afraid to go back to D-mode...

Any suggestions?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I broke the cycle! What now? new
      #199402 - 07/26/05 08:44 AM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Hi!

Well, first, remember that you need to introduce the SFS slooooowly. Second, I know a lot of people on this site take immodium daily, but I would recommend trying to go without it for a while and seeing what happens.

As for reintroducing foods, keep a food journal and try to be systematic about it. Also, keep in mind that sometimes you don't pay for today's sins until tomorrow, so just because something doesn't cause D right away doesn't mean it won't!

Good luck.

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#199407 - 07/26/05 08:49 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I would try to cut out the imodium and see what happens. This is probably making it difficult to have a bm!

Try adding some fruit, like bannanna or strawberry to your oatmeal. Or make a fruit smoothie to go! Try adding some pickles to tuna fish! Try adding in some hummus and pita bread! Fish should be just fine, have it with some rice or potatoe and maybe a veggie, like peas or carrots or green beans. A few raisins will make a good snack. Heather has a really good black bean dip recipe thats yummy with baked tostidos!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#199430 - 07/26/05 09:48 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I'd cut down to half an Immodium tablet. Seems like you're an A!

And Heather's Zucchini bread has got to be the safest way of first introducing IF. A fruit smoothie after a SF-based meal is also a good idea. And maybe throw a few bits of fruit into your oatmeal...you can puree them first if you like to make it even safer. These are all very safe options IMHO. Have a look through the recipe index and pick some other recipes you like to make later on this week. IMHO the risottos are all VERY safe. Just puree the veg in them if you're very nervous.

Fish and white chicken breast meat are also fine now!

Congrats for BTC!

#199700 - 07/26/05 10:12 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hey congrats! I'd basically just second what everyone else has said here... and now I really don't want to dampen your joy at BTC but just be careful about swinging to C. I know that if I start to swing that way a little bit (usually from overdoing it on immodium) then it's followed a few hours/days later by a massive D attack, and the cycle begins all over again. And trust me, that's a REALLY hard cycle to get out of. So yes, stopping the D is GREAT, but just be careful that you're not pushing yourself all the way over to the other side Easy on the immodium maybe and make sure you get some IF in there, gently/slowly - but soon! hth!

#199766 - 07/27/05 06:45 AM
Barbara Lynn

Reged: 05/31/05
Loc: North Port, FL

I'm an A, but mostly C, and when I started all this it took months to get to neutral, actually go to the bathroom every day fairly normal mode.

I started with just the first column of Heather's cheat sheet and nothing else. I bought her Acacia fiber and peppermint caps, and I started slowly. The acacia fiber is all soluble, which makes it much better than most over the counter fibers that are mixtures.

I still only eat chicken and fish, bananas and applesauce. I don't know why but sweets seem to increase my discomfort, so I stay away from table sugar recipes. But french bread, sourdough, and bagels are fine.

Who knows, we're all different!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3842 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 659

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review