All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
About Probiotics
      #187813 - 06/21/05 10:35 AM
tama_chan

Reged: 06/18/05

I've come to a decision a few days ago to try a very strict diet, and to limit myself to zero dairy, gluten and any IBS trigger foods for a couple weeks. My nutritionist told me if I'm going to do this, to take a probiotic to help break down my food with my meals. She gave me a list of ideas, but I figured I'd ask you guys if you knew which one is pretty effective for most people that I can get at the store. Also, I don't want to be a bother with this, but could someone list for me some other foods I can eat while on this diet? This is what I've found so far that's safe:

Rice
Quinoa
Bananas

^_^ I checked the search function on this site but I wanted to verify with one of you if the healthy soluble fiber foods are okay for me to eat if I'm trying to eliminate the possibility of lactose or gluten as well.

Thanks very much again!
Chris

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: About Probiotics new
      #187816 - 06/21/05 10:45 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

Different stores carry different probiotics. I like natrol biobeads because 1. they have none of the gluten, dairy etc that we can't have. 2. they don't have to be refridgerated so I can carry them with me if I need to 3. they have a coating to help them survive tummy acids and make it to the intestines where they are needed. 3. they were tested and actually had all the bacteria they claimed to have - unlike a lot of brands. 4. They have a mix of bacteria which helps to meet the needs of more people - instead of just one kind.

#187817 - 06/21/05 10:48 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hi, Chris! Unfortunately, I can't help you with your question about probiotics, but the answers to your questions about what to eat and soluble fiber have been provided by Heather.

Have you printed out Heather's Cheat Sheet? It's a list of SF foods you can eat, IF foods that you can incorporate in small amounts, and triggers to avoid. It's not on the message boards, but the main site. Here's a link: Heather's Cheat Sheet. Also, have you read Heather's books or the information she has included on the site? Click on IBS Diet & Recipes. I really think this is the best place to start; it's a really comprehensive plan on how to start the IBS diet and the difference between soluble fiber and insoluble fiber.

As far as info on the boards, if you go to the IBS diet message board main page, you'll see a list of informational posts, each marked with a red tack, that Heather has provided for people new to IBS: "Brandname Recommendations for Foods," "Snacks, Quick Foods, and Good Grub to Grab in a Hurry," " Frequently Asked Questions about the IBS Diet," " New folks, please read this post first! Lots of helpful info." I think reading these first will be much more useful and easier to understand then just a list of what each of us is eating, especially since we each have different triggers and eating habits.

I hope this helps! This diet is great, just stick with it and be patient while you try to figure out what works for you.

Best wishes!

#187828 - 06/21/05 11:04 AM
tama_chan

Thanks everyone for your answers!
I ordered the Eating for IBS book at my local bookstore, and it should be in thursday.

#187832 - 06/21/05 11:23 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

Just an FYI, probiotics don't break your food down. You need a digestive enzyme for that. Probiotics help w/ digestion, but after your food has been broken down in your belly. Maybe that's what your nutritionist meant. I would def. buy a probiotic from a reputable health food store or homeopath. The stuff that you buy @ mass merchandisers are crap. Sorry, but they usually don't have 1/2 of what they claim in them. Hope this helps. The others have posted some great info on the eating info.

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#187873 - 06/21/05 12:37 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Source Naturals has a great all around digestive enzyme that is great, and Jarrowdopholis EPS is a great probiotic!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

good point! new
      #187941 - 06/21/05 03:45 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I hadn't thought of this. I also bought my enzymes from Natrol -- only because I was so happy with the biobeads and because they had an enzyme that had an anti-gas ingredient -- which was one of my problem areas. It is called Digest Support.

The really good point is that whether you buy on-line or in a store -- a reputable brand and company is really important -- because you can invest a lot into these supplements - and you don't want to throw it away needlessly.

#187964 - 06/21/05 04:42 PM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I have tried digestive enzymes and they gave me D. I was on them for two months and it was a nightmare. Anyone else have this problem?

Probotics are great! They don't break down the food, they put good bacteria back in your gut which is very important. They help your gut, as well as, help prevent viruses.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

#188019 - 06/21/05 07:42 PM
tama_chan

Okay, I picked up one called: "Acidophilus Pearls". I was told it was one that worked pretty effectively for most people, but the only thing I'm a little concerned about is that it doesn't say it's dairy free. Does anyone know if this one is 100%?

Thank you.

#188126 - 06/22/05 06:59 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

If it was, it would say. Mine isn't dairy free. I didn't find that out until months later. Lucky, (even though straight dairy bothers me), being that it was in a pill form, it didn't bother me.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 742 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1801

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review