All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
food intolerence testing (and thank yous!)
      #184033 - 06/06/05 02:36 PM
sair

Reged: 05/24/05

thank you thank you thank you for your replies. I will read the diet guidelines and throw away my beloved milk. Is it all dairy products?? *gasp*

I am thinking of paying £250 for a food intolerence test. The website you get it from is called Yorktest and I have seen it talked about in the national papers as something that has helped some IBS sufferers. Does anyone have any experience of such tests? Also, one big question, if i had the test and it came up that i wasn't intolerant to milk... would i still need to avoid it? Are some foods going to clash is what im trying to say? Please help again! sorry.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: food intolerence testing (and thank yous!) new
      #184044 - 06/06/05 03:04 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hiya,

I don't have tons and tons of time to write back a length reply, but I definitely think you should go through the website and read what it has to say about:
-IBS in general
-Diet
- Trigger foods
- Fiber (Soluble and Insoluble)
-Tummy teas and stuff like that

But I will say: No Dairy!
It's not just the lactose in dairy, it is all the milk ingredients and protiens. That includes stuff like whey and casein. So even taking 'lactaid' or other things for people who are just lactose intolerant may not be enough.

Remember to look at the "What to Eat When You Can't Eat Anything" diet and stick to that for a few days until you start to get stable... And make sure you are drinking a ton of water!

Getting tested for food intolerances is really up to you.. You might find that by following the guidelines here, you'll be able to identify what bothers you.. Especially if you keep a food diary of every single thing you eat and how your stomach reacts.

Good luck!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

I just dont understand!!! new
      #184054 - 06/06/05 03:29 PM
sair

I have ALWAYS drunk gallons of milk every day of my life. Eaten cheese, butter, eggs. In fact I used to visit my favourite cafe and have a huge egg mayo baguette and was fine. Only once did i have immediate diarrhea attack afterwards. So how is all that explained? I have never had any problems with any of these foods, in fact i lived off them. Even now i sometimes have no problems with them. Could it be possible i dont react to food? I havent had diarrhea for one week now!! Yey! And i havent changed my diet in anyway, i just thought it was the anti-deppresants kicking in.

Some more insight from you amazing people please.

So so sorry, i am asking so much, these questions have been locked inside for so long and now i am getting answers!

Re: I just dont understand!!! new
      #184080 - 06/06/05 04:46 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

I havent had diarrhea for one week now!!

Okay, now I'm really confused. You've been posting that you're in the bathroom every 30 minutes in screaming pain, because you just have to push, and you're passing mucus. To me, that's diarrhea. The fact that there's nothing left inside except mucus doesn't really make it not diarrhea in my book.

As for the rest of your post, I think you've started in the middle because you're in such misery. The Board is a great place for support and answers to urgent questions - just the way you've used it today. But the backbone of this site is following Heather's diet - really her whole program - to keep IBS symptoms under control. One of the key elements of that program is the elimination of trigger foods - foods that are likely to cause symptoms in people who have IBS. For most of us, dairy is about as bad as it gets.

Here are some links to stuff you should read if you want to understand the diet we follow here:

Go to the Main IBS Message Boards page. You'll see columns headed "All Boards", "Threads", etc. Under the first column, you'll see "Eating For IBS Diet Board". That's the Board you've been posting in. If you read down a little below that heading, you'll see a list of hyperlinks for info you should read before posting. You'll also see a couple of hyperlinks for general info about IBS. These will be very helpful to you in understanding why we're telling you to stop eating certain things.

For fuller information, Heather has two books: "Eating for IBS", which has a summary of her diet, but is mostly recipes; and "The First Year - IBS", which has a fuller explanation and step-by-step guide to learning to live with IBS. You can find both books at Amazon.com and BarnesAndNoble.com and you may be able to find them at your local library. I think "Eating For IBS" is the best one to start with.

In addition, most (maybe all) of both books are on this Website:
Click here to read "The First Year"
Click here to read "Eating For IBS"

And for an explanation of why eliminating trigger foods is so important even when they don't seem to be causing you problems, take a look at this post.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: I may understand: Sand/ sair new
      #184086 - 06/06/05 05:27 PM
pulse

Loc: sw ohio

ohhh.... so ya mean folks with D can have mucous, TOO? had no clue! and would't have thought that. i took it that this was more C, esp. with all the dairy. the mucous + horrid pain + pushing sounded exactly like C to me. i've been there, not all that long ago; but not this severe. still no fun, tho! and weak & nauseated with it. the frequency of bathroom time *may* be pain + desperation/ frustration...and it's so hard not to get even more uptight while attempting to deal with this....

the low to NO dairy helps alot with constipation, mucous, even sinus probs, but it doesn't eradicate the mucous entirely, at least for me. i *think* taking SFs first, then introducing probiotics, no calcium whatsoever - and a big key/ breakthru can be taking a GI-stimulating antidepressant, like prozac - all to gets things going, but still may take a couple to a few days. i need klonopin to 'balance out' the prozac, too, but have to watch i don't increase the dose = more C. my 'latest' is adding fiber Ensure with FOS & that seems to make the biggest improvement thusfar in my C...when i can tolerate it, as its abit rough/ nauseating. sheesh, C is often such a mystery, it's so hard not to get ultra preoccupied with it.

so, sair, are you talking about extreme constipation w/ mucous & fairly rare diarrhea? we need to get a better idea of just what you are talking about re: these issues.

Oh my, i didn't read it like that...that acually makes more sense! new
      #184116 - 06/06/05 07:04 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

I guess I tend to get more muc. when I have C than when i have D, for sure. Ohh, mucus, what a yucky word.
And if Sair is that badly "backed up" then it's a huge deal as well! that's something that's very very necessary to fix.

A little side note, and an embarrassing/odd one:
When my C is terrible, and I'm pushing on the walls to help push it out, I actually find pushing on my "inbetween part" the perineum, and pushing UP, helps the stuck poop to come out. It's been a godsend for those massively C days. hope that helps and dones't make me look too creepy!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Oh my, i didn't read it like that...that acually makes more sense! new
      #184131 - 06/06/05 08:28 PM
pulse

Loc: sw ohio

well, i have pushed somewhere on my gut during bad C, it works 'somewhat', so i must be creepy2...

None of you are creepy! new
      #184134 - 06/06/05 08:51 PM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Push where ever you can to get it out, ladies, our bodies are meant to be touched!! That doesn't make you creepy at all!!

Re: I may understand: Sand/ sair new
      #184154 - 06/07/05 06:05 AM
Sand

LOL. My immediate response to this was, "People with C have mucus?" Although I don't get it except when I'm sick, it just "seemed" like a D thing to me. I guess we all are more alike than we sometimes think.

I jumped to the conclusion that since Sair talked being happy to not have diarrhea for a week, she was a D, but I agree your explanation makes at least as much sense, Pulse - Sair may well be a C with occasional D or an A.

Sair, we do need more info to provide better help. Whatever your main symptom, though, I still strongly recommend you start the reading I talked about in my earlier post. It will give you the whys and wherefores of the program this Board is about.

I hope you're feeling better today. Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Oh my, i didn't read it like that...that acually makes more sense! new
      #184155 - 06/07/05 06:07 AM
Sand

Quote:

hope that helps and dones't make me look too creepy!

My feeling is, Whatever works.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1225 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2515

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review