All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Cereals & cakes
      #113965 - 10/19/04 12:28 AM
simba

Reged: 10/19/04

I'm a fresh newbie here..and I was wondering if u can help me with the following questions
how can we eat oat meals and cereals without milk? (and I'm pretty addicted to milk)
what about cakes and sugars..what can & cannot be eaten and how about carrot cakes specifically
Your answers will surely help
THANKS!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cereals & cakes new
      #113967 - 10/19/04 12:39 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Hi simba! Welcome to the boards!

The cereal question is pretty simple: use soy or rice milk instead. Personally, I find Rice Dream rice milks to be the tastiest and most "milk-like", but everyone's preferences vary.

Sugar is not an IBS trigger, so it's safe to eat (although you'll want to watch how much you eat, most likely!). As long as a cake is low-fat and contains no whole eggs, dairy, or butter, it's *basically* safe (taking into account that everyone's different, and some people can tolerate some things better than others). Angel food cake is a terrific cake for IBSers - totally safe. For other cake recipes, see the recipe index - I'm pretty sure there's a carrot cake in there.

Good luck, and welcome again!

Welcome! new
      #114040 - 10/19/04 09:51 AM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

Hello there! Glad you could find us

Casey had some good ideas (she's REALLY smart!), and the only thing I can think to add is that cereal is also good for a snack plain. I like Honeycomb and Kix, and Rice Crispies too (but they are hard to eat w/out a spoon). This is what I take with me when I go out and about, so I'll always have something to snack on.

--------------------
~*Amber*~

Rice Chex is my favorite for snacking... new
      #114044 - 10/19/04 10:12 AM
beth71

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas

the crunch is addicting and I bring a bag full everytime I leave the house! Casey is right...Rice Dream is great milk! I use it to bake and eat with my cereal. Welcome and good luck!
~Beth

#114063 - 10/19/04 11:03 AM
simba

Reged: 10/19/04

Thank you soo much for replying..
What about juices what are my best choices? cranberry juice? smoothies?
THANKS AGAIN

Rice Chex and Angel Food cake, Rice Cakes! new
      #114101 - 10/19/04 12:55 PM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

Yummy! They are so addicting.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

#114105 - 10/19/04 01:03 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I do really well with Ribena black currant drink, but I can't find it in the States. *snif! wail!* I used to live on that stuff in college in England. (sigh)

~nelly~

#114208 - 10/19/04 06:21 PM
puddytat55

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: New Jersey-dont laugh!

Welcome Simba-you are at the right place here with your questions...in addition to the soy & rice milks, there is also almond milk & all of the "milks" mentioned can come vanilla flavored...I often add a teeny drop of vanilla extract to my milk, even if it's already vanilla flavored, for additional flavor before I pour it over my oatmeal. I cook the oatmeal first in water, then add the milk, brown sugar or maple syrup (the real kind from maple trees, not the cornsyrup stuff the commercial manufacturers make) & chopped nuts. It took me a while to get used to the different "milks", but eventually I did-now I love them and cook & bake with them all the time! Go shopping down the health food aisle of your local supermarket...have fun experimenting with the different varieties. LZ

--------------------
Puddytat55-I tawt I taw a puddytat!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 526 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 873

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review