Once you've found a satisfactory doctor and established a good working relationship, he or she should educate you about Irritable Bowel Syndrome as a brain-gut disorder and treat it as they would any other chronic disorder, with a focus on managing your symptoms. What can you fairly expect your doctor to do?
1. Acknowledge the pain of IBS
2. Hold an empathetic and non-judgmental point of view
3. Educate and reassure you
4. Set reasonable goals for managing your IBS symptoms
5. Help you, the patient, take responsibility
6. Know his or her limitations and refer you to specialists if necessary
What you cannot expect from your doctor is a surgical or pharmaceutical cure. To date, gut-directed IBS hypnosis is the only treatment researchers have called a "cure" for the brain-gut dysfunction that underlies IBS.
What to ask your doctor about Irritable Bowel Syndrome