Can you take a fiber supplement with medications?
Tip Takeaway: Treat fiber supplements like food. If your medication must be taken on an empty stomach, take it one hour before, or two hours after, your fiber supplement. If your medication can be taken with food, it can typically be taken with fiber. But always ask your pharmacist to be sure!
- Think of soluble fiber supplements for IBS as food.
- If you're using Tummy Fiber, you can take your dose by mixing it right into moist foods.
- Or simply cook with it (lots of recipes!) so it's automatically in your meals.
- Fiber - both soluble and insoluble - occurs naturally in plant foods.
- If you can take a medication with food, you can typically take it with fiber.
- If your medication must be taken on an empty stomach, don't take it with fiber any more than you would take it with food.
- How to know the difference?
It depends on your specific medication. Does food interfere with its absorption? If yes, the bottle and your pharmacist will tell you to take it on an empty stomach.
- Typically these medications are taken one hour before, or two hours after, your fiber and your food.
- Can you take your medication with food? If yes, then food does not interfere with its absorption. Typically you can simply treat your IBS fiber supplement like food, and take it with the medication.
- If foods that contain fiber don't affect medication absorption, a fiber supplement typically won't either.
- But - it's not just about the type of fiber - it's about the type of medication.
- Notice all these "typicallys"...
Always ask your pharmacist if you can take your specific medication with your specific soluble fiber supplement. There are unique interactions that don't fit the general guidelines above.
You are not alone!
P.S. If you have any questions or comments I'd love to hear them - just reply to this email to reach me directly. I am overwhelmed with emails but I try to answer everyone.
To taming your tummy,
Heather Van Vorous
Over 40 years dealing with IBS
Get full help for IBS here
You can change your email below or unsubscribe completely from my emails.
If you do, I won't be able to send you any updates, complimentary information on dealing with IBS, special deals, and much more.
If you have any issues, please reply to this email and let me know.
I'm here for you. =)
You're on this newsletter list because you have expressed interest in IBS news and information.
Change your newsletter email address here.
If you are viewing this newsletter on a website and would like to subscribe for email delivery, please "Join the IBS Newsletter" here.
ANTI-SPAM PRIVACY & SECURITY POLICY
Heather's Tummy Care
19203 70th Ave S
Kent, WA 98032 USA
© 2022 Heather Van Vorous, Heather's Tummy Care. All rights reserved.
Authored by Heather Van Vorous. May not be reproduced without permission.
USA Copyright Office Registration Number TXU 1-270-858 and others.