Here's a rice recipe my family really enjoys.
Lemon Rice Pilaf
(Makes 6 cups)
1 cup yellow onion, diced
1 1/2 cups converted rice
3 1/2 cups water
1 Tablespoon soy margarine
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
zest of 1 lemon, minced
juice of 1 lemon
1. Saute onion in small amount of canola oil in a large saucepan just until softened.
2. Add rice and continue sauteing until it starts to turn golden.
3. Stir in water, margarine, salt, bay leaf, and cayenne.
4. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low.
5. Cook until liquid is absorbed, 20 minutes.
6. Remove from heat.
7. Stir in lemon zest and juice.
8. Allow rice to steep a few minutes before serving.
Note: You can also add in a little bit of minced garlic at the end of cooking. The flavor goes really well.
Adapted slightly from a recipe by Bev at www.recipezaar.com
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield